• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Anyone had their ecodiesel catch on fire

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Rodey7, So the fire started in rear Turbo area, or was the Plenum Intake a blaze? the EGR side were Fiat claims fires are starting was intact? I take it the foam above the EGR cooler was NOT on fire when you open the Hood.

Even the tail lights on the fire melted.

Rodey0

Jul 30, 2019
Truck Year
When I opened the hood I noticed that the flame was coming from the rear of the engine and maybe a little to the left side. It was under the windshield wipers because there were a couple of leaves laying there and they eventually caught fire. On the first Blue truck when I opened the hood it was hot enough that it burned blisters on the top of my fingers to slide the hood release. The fire then was on the whole top of the engine so I couldn't say for sure where it started.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
The reason I ask their is much speculation that the EGR exchanger is causing 100% of the fires, I have spoken to many Owners You are 63, Yes I have 63 confirmed Eco fires. and Your #7 confirmed fire starting in rear of engine. I'm don't care for class actions , its getting to the point it may be necessary in this matter.

Yes, Vehicle catch on fire all the Time, by rodent activity ,poor engine hygiene, etc, the % of Eco fires is way above the norm.

I mentioned this before we have OAs that prior to fire NO coolant found in the Samples, If the EGR was leaking that much to start a fire, I find it next to impossible for ALL these fire to be EGR related. What I see is just another FCA/VM deception tactic, Fiat/VM IMO is grossly mishandling handling the fires cases. Remember Fiat Claims concerning CAA violations, they Stated ,If you believe the 3.0VM is illegal you are under the influence of something iIlegal (LOL) in the end it was FIAT, That was found to be lying and deceiving the Public. Only someone that lacks comprehension supports their claim of the Fire's being 100% of the cause.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2019/RCLRPT-19V757-7573.PDF

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
O
The reason I ask their is much speculation that the EGR exchanger is causing 100% of the fires, I have spoken to many Owners You are 63, Yes I have 63 confirmed Eco fires. and Your #7 confirmed fire starting in rear of engine. I'm don't care for class actions , its getting to the point it may be necessary in this matter.

Yes, Vehicle catch on fire all the Time, by rodent activity ,poor engine hygiene, etc, the % of Eco fires is way above the norm.

I mentioned this before we have OAs that prior to fire NO coolant found in the Samples, If the EGR was leaking that much to start a fire, I find it next to impossible for ALL these fire to be EGR related. What I see is just another FCA/VM deception tactic, Fiat/VM IMO is grossly mishandling handling the fires cases. Remember Fiat Claims concerning CAA violations, they Stated ,If you believe the 3.0VM is illegal you are under the influence of something iIlegal (LOL) in the end it was FIAT, That was found to be lying and deceiving the Public. Only someone that lacks comprehension supports their claim of the Fire's being 100% of the cause.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2019/RCLRPT-19V757-7573.PDF
TC, I know I'm likely lacking in comprehension, but I have absolutely no idea how you expect the EGR coolant leak to show up in the OAs, when time and again these leaks have not been detected when troubleshooting at garages if they test it cold.
So if it leaks when hot, engine is running and EGR is hot, the engine will be ingesting a vapour that burns with the fuel and goes out the exhaust. End of story....

Rodey0

Jul 30, 2019
Truck Year
Just an update on my 2 fires. I talked to the insurance adjuster and may have good news. He hasn't seen the vehicle yet but he has talked to the adjuster on the first fire and they exchanged notes and did searches on recalls. The second had a recall pending that I knew about. They were ordering the parts and were to call me when they came in. The adjuster said the recall mentioned a problem with the EGR and that it may cause bodily harm to occupants of the vehicle and to bystanders due to engine fire. He said that there was no fix at this time. He said that since the first one burned that it was now covered by the same recall. He didn't understand how you can have a recall with no solution for the fix. The good news is that my $500 deductable on each vehicle may be refunded to me. I will keep you posted.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Ecopete No, it will still show up in the OAs, I've seen 100s of OAs with elevated Sodium and insoluble it will be found in the OA.
Fleet Owners with elevate levels have one to three choices , HG, Crack head, or leaky EGR, they remove the EGR 1st and inspect the Intake plenum if No wetness or moisture found that's a good sign the EGR is NOT the Problem, Still its off and in almost all cases the EGR is pressure tested. If found to leak its replace and the engine continues on until the next service and OA, if the levels are still high or getting higher a decision must be made to pull the head and check the HG, if the HG is found to be defective theirs the problem. Again the heads off it should be freshen up. This is the end and the fix, this is practice in 100 of 1000s of fleet vehicles, the 3.0 is the same intake system as ALL Dsl.
it will show up ED owners need to stop thinking VIA misleading sites postings.

Call any testing company and talk to the experts, they will tell you the facts, until like sites that post their limited knowledge

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Still with 1000s+ of leaky EGR in the millions of Dsl, why are they NOT catching on Fire at the levels its happening to 3.0VM and Now happening twice...to some... same cycle as the Puking engine syndrome and AECD and ignorance form VM/Fiat. its diversion tactics By The Same Sources of all the problems that have plague this Engine. VM/Fiat

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
Still with 1000s+ of leaky EGR in the millions of Dsl, why are they NOT catching on Fire at the levels its happening to 3.0VM and Now happening twice...to some... same cycle as the Puking engine syndrome and AECD and ignorance form VM/Fiat. its diversion tactics By The Same Sources of all the problems that have plague this Engine. VM/Fiat
Why others leaky egrs don't catch fire??? I guess I don't know, but i doubt that there's a diesel engine in fleet vehicles that has as poor a EGR cooler as the VM 3.0, besides the excessive EGR amounts it is calibrated to induce, to reduce the constant DEF refilling inconvenience, leading to much higher temps in the EGR to intake pipe......and poof!
Just my musings.....

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Look at My OAs one sample was 35PPM, Sodium. I decided to continue and the sodium levels Dropped.
Mid 2019 the vehicle started to pulsate and the Diffuser Tube was removed and the Soot was wet.(Tube Plenum) I took to Dealership and lets Just say I park My vehicles wherever I want and Everyone except for a View New employee's address My as Boss/Sir. The EGR was removed and tested and found to be leaking, The entire EGR/Plenum was replaced By Fiat, and Of course NO questioned ask. The Dealership was Moving to its New Building at the time and the Sample (oil) was lost in all the confusion. After the New Plenum Intake the last Lube was left in when I returned the vehicle to Fiat, It sat on the lot for 2 Months and was sold and has NOT returned to the Dealership for any reason in 8 months.
Read the comment Box.
Its no surprise to me That Fiat continues to put the 3.0VM in the Ram1500. Most seasoned Dsl Owners Don't buy Fiats explanation's on all its short comings, its the tolerant unknowing that purchase it . Sales of Gas Vs Dsl in the 1500 is 150+ to 1

Attachments

• Ecodiesel_Blackstone_Sodium.pdf
    61.4 KB · Views: 5

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
TC, So you're saying that an OA in 2016 was detecting coolant from the leaking egr what then failed in 2019???

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Its Hard to say How the sodium entered the Lube, 6-16, the OAs showed lowered Sodium until Mid 2018, when the truck started to pulsate, the Diffuser tube was removed and it was laden with coolant, Remember I was foam cleaning My Plenum at every oil change and NO wetness was found until mid 2018, So, at some point between the 5-12-18 Last OA and Mid 18 it started to leak, Look at the OAs in 2016 5/29-6/13-8/31, I was testing Quarterly that's how much I did NOT trust this engine. if I was not baby siting this POS 3.0VM it may have left Me stranded or worst , IMO ownership is NOT worth the Risk and their is NO benefit in owning the 3.0VM

The Pulsating was very faint and likely to be overlook By 98% of ED owners Most ED owners are NOT seasoned Diesel owners and certainly are NOT educated in Dsl powerplants behavior. Again and Again No one single owner in the entire 3.0VM North American ownership has conducted the testing I've done on the 3.0, I even leased Fuel analyzer to the tail pip emissions to discover the CAA violation 4 Months before the EPA launch it investigation, Ecopete you sound just like the Fake Site mods that I was wrong LOL. every short coming I have forecasted months to years in advance has happen in the majority of VM 3.0, Failed AECD TC 100% correct the fake site 100% incorrect, Better lube is available MS11106 was not the best lube, TC 100% correct, 200+ engines failing Per-Month TC 100% correct. I also told Owners to get that worthless fire starting foam of the engine, This sound foam is only to satisfy the I want quite engine, IMO you want quite engine BUY gas, and Yes fuel leaks have started because that foam was soaked with Diesel fuel/oil and eventually ignited

So I will make another Forecast the EGR leaks are a Small % of the fires and will continue After the EGR is replace, So stay tuned for the next couple of years to prove Me wrong, Rodney0 if you can out form owning the 3.0VM do so.

Rodney0 will not be alone in the category of it happening twice.

caleb1

Apr 7, 2020
Truck Year
Not Listed
Had a Ecodiesel jeep catch fire recently at 81k miles. Egr or any other parts of the emissions system were never replaced or serviced like it seems many people do about 50k miles.
Service electronic throttle, then engine light, then noticed smoke behind vehicle, rpms to zero, pulled over and hood was smoking then flames started coming out behind the hood. Seems similar to what alot of ram owners are experiencing with the EGR issues. Especially since mine was at 81k miles and never replaced that I know of. Many ecodiesel jeep owners seem to say they've had to replace them. And i bought it from private party so who knows the last time it was turned by a dealer.
Had an engine light at about 76k to 78k miles, a few codes one had to do with the EGR the other had to do with some other emissions component I belive. But it went away at about 80k, so never did anything about it since it disappeared.
I see the recall for the cracking EGR causing coolant to leak into the engine. I am looking to buy another ecodiesel, and wonder what I should do or make sure was done on it to be sure this doesent happen again. Such as replace the EGR or DPF. I am wondering have they fixed the egrs so if I get it replaced will it still be prone to cracking and leaking after awhile or will it be good permanently? Or should go with the bulletproof diesel option?

Any insight appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Until Fiat changes out the power plant, I would stay Away from the EcoDsL, It has happen twice to some owners.

Its simple Gas surpasses the 3.0VM in every Category, The Hemi has More power gets the same MPG Cost, In fact Now Gas is Less cost PER-Mile than the 3.0VM DsL here is $2.65 and Gas is $1.65. and even after COVID it will take 16-18 Months for gas to recover to the .40-.50 difference before COVID, the Hemi is $3K less and the 3.6L is $4200.00 less.

The Gas engine will go 200K Miles with 2 sets of Spark Plugs and routine maintenance at Maybe another $1K. the 3.0 in Many cases never makes 200K before it pukes or burns, if it does You will need to upgrade to missing parts or At $2K or another $4/8K in repairs.

I forgot to mention My 2019 Limited is $220.00 Less than My 2015 Loaded Laramie Eco Per-Year Insurance.

Fiat Killed the 1/2 Market with 3.0VM.

caleb1

Apr 7, 2020
Truck Year
Not Listed
Other than the EGR issue and the wiring harness....
What other issues has anyone experienced on a higher mileage 80k+ miles ecodiesel that could cause fire or be another big issue that makes it a terrible engine not worth getting? Any experiences?
If I go with the bullet proof diesel solution for the EGR cooler will I be ok in terms of fire risk or other catastrophic failures?

Last edited:

DeepDvNarq

Oct 27, 2020
Truck Year
Hello everyone
My truck just went up in flames today as well. I took it for the recall twice, starting in July and was told that the parts were on back order for 7-8 months. Well, it didn't make it that long
20201027_083647.jpg

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
DeepDvNarg, Your Fire is very odd, Its the first I've seen some what intact , Almost ALL are unrecognizable.

P Grant

Feb 10, 2021
Truck Year
thought this would be the right place to post this. I bought a 2015 EcoDiesel a little over a month ago and have had non-stop issues with it until today. I was driving along the high when I a bunch of warning light pop up on the dash, I pull over to the shoulder to check it out and when I lift the hood I see that there is a fire right where the EGR is. Within minutes the entire car was engulfed in flames. leaving only the rear tires intact.

Attachments

• IMG_1836.jpg
    IMG_1836.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 9