• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Automatic OBD App for iPhones

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I found this app today, like most others in plugs into you OBD port and lets you tracking mileage, and many other things.

They have apps for their "app" that allow engine diagnostics, etc. Priced at $99, it's not bad.

https://www.automatic.com

utdiesel

Mar 12, 2015
Truck Year
I see Best Buy sells them. I wouldn't mind buying it and giving it a try..

Ramconvert

May 25, 2015
Truck Year
So I looked at the cts2 and a few other old displays. I was shocked at some of the prices! Anywhere from $1000 down to a few hundred.

Maybe I'm being cheap here but I think even the low end was outrageous. So I started looking at the apps for obd2 for my iPhone. Some of them look pretty good. Problem is I don't want my phone tied up as a gauge while I'm driving. Luckily I found a very cheap $50 tablet at Wallmart today. It operates on Android 4.4 (same as Galaxy) and is about the same size as a cts2.

I also ordered a cheap obd2 blue tooth transmitter for about $8 shipped. Once it gets here I'll download a free app just to see how it works. If it works good. I look into a nicer app to purchase.

I'll post some pics and thoughts once the transmitter gets here.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
So I looked at the cts2 and a few other old displays. I was shocked at some of the prices! Anywhere from $1000 down to a few hundred.

Maybe I'm being cheap here but I think even the low end was outrageous. So I started looking at the apps for obd2 for my iPhone. Some of them look pretty good. Problem is I don't want my phone tied up as a gauge while I'm driving. Luckily I found a very cheap $50 tablet at Wallmart today. It operates on Android 4.4 (same as Galaxy) and is about the same size as a cts2.

I also ordered a cheap obd2 blue tooth transmitter for about $8 shipped. Once it gets here I'll download a free app just to see how it works. If it works good. I look into a nicer app to purchase.

I'll post some pics and thoughts once the transmitter gets here.

I had the exact same thoughts. Let us know how it turns out!

Ramconvert

May 25, 2015
Truck Year
Look for Torque. It's pretty good from what everyone says.

That's the one I'd probly buy. I think it's $4.99 so not to much risk.

The mounting system I haven't quite figured out yet. I'd like to keep it lower on the dash as I think heat from direct sunlight might be an issue. I might build a custom pod for it to sit in. If I had the front bench seat it would be much simpler.

flying7

Jul 15, 2014
Truck Year
Anyone tried this app, $99 is a lot compared to a cheap $3 app and a Bluetooth adapter.

Ramconvert

May 25, 2015
Truck Year
Anyone tried this app, $99 is a lot compared to a cheap $3 app and a Bluetooth adapter.

I'm not able to see any link.?.

I think the more expensive ones come with there own hardware. I have a feeling it's the same cheap obd reader you can order from fee bay with there own name on it though....

Last edited:

Ramconvert

May 25, 2015
Truck Year
https://www.automatic.com/

And yes, you're probably right about the name.

Well..... That might actually be a higher quality unit. I'm an HVAC tech and am quite familiar with the Nest thermostat. And while I don't much care for the T stat it is well built and works as advertised. If this obd reader is on par with the thermostat then it's a high quality unit.

With that said, my cheapness won't allow me to soend that much on an obd reader. That's more of a reflection on me then this products actual value.

That's my opinion. Hope that helps. :)