• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

BD Diesel High Idle for EcoDiesel released

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
This is the one I previously mentioned @BoostN and using for regen's (particularly in the winter) because it can be set at a high enough rpm to do a simple forced regen while parked.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
It must be me only, but I don't seem to like that gadget. I think, one could use that purchase price and apply it to a monitor and I found, that in most cases, I can sometimes change my driving trips when REGEN hits 65 percent and I have up to 80 percent to do a REGEN.

One reason why many have bought this truck is fuel economy and longevity. If you use that approach often, you may as well have gotten a gas guzzler. It cheaper too.

If it a problem or any problem, like coolant leak, high temperatures when towing, I expect FCA to provide a solution, keep us informed, not the customer or online sites. If they fail to do so, their sales will suffer due to increase online complaints and concerns and their customer base will decrease.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Trust me it uses less fuel to idle at 2k rpms for 10 minutes than it does to take a 10 minute one way highway trip. And some climates and personal driving habits and vehicle usages result in high dpf percentages on occasion. That's a sound investment considering you have a use for it.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
A monitor does nothing for me

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
Each to their own, which why I mentioned I (me) didn't like the unit. I'm getting convince, that I probably save myself a lot visit to the dealership, on account have having the monitor, not only for REGEN, but for possible overheating, resulting in EVIC messages. I have gone a step further and now do oil testing before each oil change. So far, excellent.

Why, because, too many people reporting issues, coolant/oil contamination, complaining of lots EVIC messages, burning smell, heavy DEF consumption, etc. Mostly minor.... but why.... Many are first time buyers of diesel and probably didn't even know about REGEN, DEF, etc. Monitor help me here and I'm thinking, it will help them too, increase the learning curve.

I have notice, in the beginning, that my fuel mileage per tankful would drop noticeably if I idle to warm up truck, 10 minutes or so and DEF consumption increased too. Once I stop that and added winter covers, (I had to chase FCA for winter cover or put on full auto flaps, a design/inadequate consideration for northern customers) my fuel economy improved and my DEF consumption decreased. The monitor tip me off and prove it to me.

I'm doing a half tank per 10,000 KM at worse case scenario. I'm at almost 23,000KM (metric) and have almost full DEF tank at this time and that my second fill-up only.

There is also another concern, too much idling, not recommended by FCA and other diesel truck makers. I believe their is a thread about it. In fact, some of the diesel truck makers, have a timer, that would shut off the truck, if you idle too long. I'm thinking, their is a message behind that.

I may be wrong, but it an input (from my personal observation) that I provided on this forum (if correction is needed, I update it here), so that they can draw their own conclusion and/or act on it, prove it for themselves or ignore it. I read other peoples observation and try to verify or determine it at this end. I try to provide logical reasons or evidence that suggest those conclusion.

I have a different outlook on issues that EcoDiesel may present. I don't believe, that customers of FCA, should be paying for third party devices, to resolve an issue, design flaw, lack of interface with the firmware. I did it once (last time), got the EDGE CS2, but all those features should be available on my truck display. FCA should make those features available, it's very easily doable. I suspect to a newbie, it would frighten them away from the truck.

Not only do they not do that, but it seems they try to lock out access. My first response, what are they trying to hide? FCA and dealers will try even to get you to pay for warranty work, if they can pull the wool over your eyes. That is one good benefit of this forum. The customer can approach FCA/Dealers informed and not be taken in, either deliberately, ignorance or uniformed on dealers part.

Hitting 23,000 KM (metric) all is well.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
We're all different here. A lot of folks are bone stock and want to keep it that way, and others want the max power and really don't care about warranty. But, the good thing around that is everyone benefits from that here. Which is the point of the forum.

My Duramax was "Emissions Deleted" and sounded like a jet when the 'hi-idle' kicked on. At least it put a smile on my face.. :D

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
So with 14 thousand miles on your truck and your lifetime mileage at 21 US MPG what are your engine hours driving and idling?

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
@moparecodiesel what are you up to on hours and miles?
You know; the Actual use of your truck?

Just curious but would you care to tally up all the issues you've had? Not alterations you've made just because but manufacturer effects or issues?

2 oil coolers; thermal modulator for transmission and a cam gear slipping on the cam shaft from overtorquing?

Anything else actually go wrong with your truck through everything? Oh and umteen dirty egr tubes.

How do you attribute your idling to engine wear and manufacturer defects?

If you had kept your emissions system would you feel the high idle switch a good purchase for parked regens?

All in all did you attribute the actual failure of your cam to the excess torque of the plug in tuner you were running and the water Meth injection?