• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Blaze of glory?

Jul 31, 2017
Truck Year
Just trying to see if I'm alone in this. I was just driving on the highway, check engine light came on with either service 4wd or brake system (hard to remember exactly) then followed very shortly by service electrical system and the little lightning bolt light came on. I pulled over in a gravel lot and shut off the engine. A little smoke was starting to come in the cab. I pulled the handle in the cab to pop the hood and went around to the front to lift it. I quickly realized that would be a bad idea and told my wife to get the kids out immediately, as my five year old son and my two week old daughter were sleeping in the back seats. It went from the light coming on to what you see in the picture in less than two minutes. Loved the eco diesel, it was a 2016 with 18000 miles.....doesn't get very good mileage now! We're ok, just wondering what might have happened, and don't want it to happen to anyone else.

Attachments

• IMG_1365.JPG
    IMG_1365.JPG
    284.9 KB · Views: 21

Jul 31, 2017
Truck Year
Just trying to see if I'm alone in this. I was just driving on the highway, check engine light came on with either service 4wd or brake system (hard to remember exactly) then followed very shortly by service electrical system and the little lightning bolt light came on. I pulled over in a gravel lot and shut off the engine. A little smoke was starting to come in the cab. I pulled the handle in the cab to pop the hood and went around to the front to lift it. I quickly realized that would be a bad idea and told my wife to get the kids out immediately, as my five year old son and my two week old daughter were sleeping in the back seats. It went from the light coming on to what you see in the picture in less than two minutes. Loved the eco diesel, it was a 2016 with 18000 miles.....doesn't get very good mileage now! We're ok, just wondering what might have happened, and don't want it to happen to anyone else.

Jul 31, 2017
Truck Year
The aftermath!

Attachments

• IMG_1367.JPG
    IMG_1367.JPG
    361 KB · Views: 16

Scottd

Apr 23, 2017
Truck Year
[emoji15] glad everyone got out safe. The truck can be replaced. Everyone else not as easy. Let us know what happened after you find out.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Glad you guys got out safe. A vehicle fire is always a scary thing! Let us know what the outcome is. I wonder if Ram will try to get that one back to see what happen maybe?

Also, welcome to the site! Are you planning on another EcoDiesel?

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Holy shit, good call getting the wife and kids out immediately, that is a very scary situation.

Oddly enough vehicle fires on fairly new vehicles are not that rare across all model ranges so I wouldn't point my finger at anything specific with the engine persay but a generic part failure or assembly issue could have caused all of this.

Jul 31, 2017
Truck Year
I'm not blaming it on the motor. Seems my insurance doesn't care what happened, just that it's totaled. So we'll see if Chrysler cares, what happened. We're working with our dealer to see what they think. Sucks that insurance is going to give us a deprecated value and being a mechanical failure of some sort on a truck with full warranty, who covers the rest? We (wife and I) are not opposed to another eco diesel as we loved the mileage and power, but are they making them again yet? I know our dealer doesn't have any. Guess we'll see how it goes and how long we are willing to go without another truck.