• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Blown Engine at 188k km

Nanooser

Aug 18, 2015
Truck Year
Hi Folks
Sad to report that my '14 Big Horn, at 188k km, is at the side of the hwy awaiting a tow to the shop. Heard a knock develop and on the way to the shop it got very loud and immediately pulled over.

Anyone else experience this?
All hwy driven, minimal towing with small boat, babied this thing....

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Hate to hear that @Nanooser . What was your oil change intervals? What oil did you run? Not that I think it matters but I'm curious. I'm assuming the truck was all stock with no engine tune or anything?

Nanooser

Aug 18, 2015
Truck Year
I ran it close to the recommended limit, never over and ensured the correct grade of oil was used. No modifications. The only thing out of the ordinary that I did prior to hearing a change in the engine sound was using a fuel additive recommended by my dealers service Dept. for cleaning the fuel system.

Nanooser

Aug 18, 2015
Truck Year
Lower end bearing is what the shop figures it is. New engine en route. Block only isn’t an option according to the shop, full engine assembly only, apparently starter and alternator are only swap overs, dealer confirming. Hopefully back on road at end of week. Will be doing a EGR tune with delete kit from HDdiesel
Yes, west coast of Canada.

Nanooser

Aug 18, 2015
Truck Year
Dealership advises motor is in transit, hopefully arriving by end of week putting me back on the road by mid next week. They couldn’t get confirmation on what is included on the motor such as the turbo and what would need to be transferred over. Any thoughts on what parts you would definitely replace would be appreciated. Will also be asking my shop if they would install the EGR delete and removal kit.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Nanooser , you seem to be taking this well $8-10K US at 116K, miles wouldn't sit well with Me, and with the history of the 3.0 the new engine could fail at anytime.....Reports out with 2018 with little as 5K miles puking.

If its not a complete engine why waste the $, thats Turbo, Injectors, Pump ,EGR, everything but accessories .

Nanooser

Aug 18, 2015
Truck Year
Looks like it will include the turbo, injectors, etc, so all good there. The reason I’m not physically ill over all of this is that the incredible folks at my dealership and at FAC stepped up to the plate and are covering the engine cost leaving me with the install cost ($2500-ish). Can’t say enough about the team at Woodgrove Chrysler in Nanaimo, B.C.

Debating GDE tune or HDD tune that also removes the DPF system. Anyone out there running the HD Diesel tune kit?

Nanooser

Aug 18, 2015
Truck Year
That’s 29,000 km past my 160k warranty.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Well , that's good News... some have been less fortunate.

Nanooser

Aug 18, 2015
Truck Year
Very fortunate, I’d be looking at a harness and team of mules if I had to eat that bill!

Nanooser

Aug 18, 2015
Truck Year
The byline for the above picture should have read that my new motor has arrived at the dealership and the transplant begins tomorrow. EGR and DPF delete kits en route. Went with GDE for the tune and BC Diesel for the Flo Pro EGR remove kit and the 3" pipes for the DPF remove.

Dave Galley

Dec 31, 2019
Truck Year
I pray I have this outcome. Mine just puked yesterday. 7683 km over warranty. of 100K. Contacted customer care hoping for the best

Nanooser

Aug 18, 2015
Truck Year
I pray I have this outcome. Mine just puked yesterday. 7683 km over warranty. of 100K. Contacted customer care hoping for the best
Hi Dave
Sorry to hear about your engine. What I can update you on is that the new engine continues to run great with the delete and tune. No more emission related warnings and no concern about the EGR cooler issues anymore. Mileage also improved and it’s nice to see clear golden engine oil on the dipstick. Fingers crossed the new 2019 engine will give me a couple hundred thousand more Km’s. Keep us updated on your progress. For what it’s worth, I stayed positive and was patient and polite with everyone. They really went to bat for me and while I was still out of pocket $5-$6K (CAD) at the end of the day for the install and tune, it could have been way worse. Best of luck to you!

Dave Galley

Dec 31, 2019
Truck Year
Thank you. I have stayed positive and pleasant i am hoping they will come to bat. I can live with 5I after all I would then have a new engine. Fingers crossed.

Dave Galley

Dec 31, 2019
Truck Year
Hi Dave
Sorry to hear about your engine. What I can update you on is that the new engine continues to run great with the delete and tune. No more emission related warnings and no concern about the EGR cooler issues anymore. Mileage also improved and it’s nice to see clear golden engine oil on the dipstick. Fingers crossed the new 2019 engine will give me a couple hundred thousand more Km’s. Keep us updated on your progress. For what it’s worth, I stayed positive and was patient and polite with everyone. They really went to bat for me and while I was still out of pocket $5-$6K (CAD) at the end of the day for the install and tune, it could have been way worse. Best of luck to you!
FCA just told me today they are covering my engine and all parts. Labor estimate is only $1400.