• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Brand new (sorta) 2015 Ram EcoDiesel Owner

TooClose Racing

Dec 20, 2017
Truck Year
Not Listed
I've just scored a 2015 Ram 1500 Tradesman Quad Cab with only 16,000 miles on it from a dealer in Elmira, NY. I've been following the eco-diesel forums for about a year now, keeping my eyes open, and found a great deal. It helped that the truck had been sitting on their lot since 4th quarter 2018. Clean Carfax. These items are on my To-Do list, note that one or may have a question to y'all.

1. My factory power train warranty concludes in July of 2020. I've done some shopping and negotiating on extended warranties offered by dealers and think I'm going to spring for a 5 year/unlimited or 100k warranty. These things are very negotiable, my local RAM dealer says they drop the $100 deductable also. This IS my insurance policy for the (what if?) engine, but I think it just makes sense given the age/mileage. If you have good stories or bad, please share.
2. The Elmira, NY dealer confirmed that this truck has the emissions recall software update installed. I'm going to ask my local RAM dealer to confirm that again, but is there a way for me to do so online (thanks)? By the way, she doesn't drive too badly performance-wise, but I realize I have NO reference point. I'm seeing about 24 mpg around town and averaged 26 mpg on the 2.5 hour mostly two-lane highway drive back to my home from Elmira.
3. I'm shopping/comparing the two very popular ECM tunes - GDE and SFT, trying to understand Pros and Cons. Thank you John Jenson for your comparo sheet. I am also considering the tranny tunes since I tow a dirt bike trailer and small RV trailer longer distances 4-8 hours, and small bowrider boat locally. If I have a follow up question just for today it would be on the subject of "dealer detection" of the modified ECM. John Jenson's comparison suggested the GDE tune is not detectable, but I wondered if that assumes an ECM swap. : -) I know that option and SFT's "re-install stock tune" capability is the ULTIMATE stealth. BTW - not concerned about NY state inspections, my local shop has assured me "no problems".
4) One more "Tune" question - I think GDE offers an Eco or a Hot Tune. I really am looking forward to an MPG "bump" with whatever my choice is (including if I go with SFT). Has anybody NOT seen an MPG improvement with the Hot Tune?

Thanks for all you do and thanks in advance for any responses.

Bob Close

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Welcome to the group. hands down gde is the best call gde they claim no detection gde will pass California smog

John

Nov 13, 2015
You will see MPG gains with the hot tune. I think the hot tune is considered the eco tune. The other option is the off road tune that eliminates the exhaust and components. Sounds like you found a good deal on a nice truck.

ECM swap is not necessary to avoid detection.The GDE ECM will show the same as stock when the dealer hooks up to it.

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
I've just scored a 2015 Ram 1500 Tradesman Quad Cab with only 16,000 miles on it from a dealer in Elmira, NY. I've been following the eco-diesel forums for about a year now, keeping my eyes open, and found a great deal. It helped that the truck had been sitting on their lot since 4th quarter 2018. Clean Carfax. These items are on my To-Do list, note that one or may have a question to y'all.

1. My factory power train warranty concludes in July of 2020. I've done some shopping and negotiating on extended warranties offered by dealers and think I'm going to spring for a 5 year/unlimited or 100k warranty. These things are very negotiable, my local RAM dealer says they drop the $100 deductable also. This IS my insurance policy for the (what if?) engine, but I think it just makes sense given the age/mileage. If you have good stories or bad, please share.
2. The Elmira, NY dealer confirmed that this truck has the emissions recall software update installed. I'm going to ask my local RAM dealer to confirm that again, but is there a way for me to do so online (thanks)? By the way, she doesn't drive too badly performance-wise, but I realize I have NO reference point. I'm seeing about 24 mpg around town and averaged 26 mpg on the 2.5 hour mostly two-lane highway drive back to my home from Elmira.
3. I'm shopping/comparing the two very popular ECM tunes - GDE and SFT, trying to understand Pros and Cons. Thank you John Jenson for your comparo sheet. I am also considering the tranny tunes since I tow a dirt bike trailer and small RV trailer longer distances 4-8 hours, and small bowrider boat locally. If I have a follow up question just for today it would be on the subject of "dealer detection" of the modified ECM. John Jenson's comparison suggested the GDE tune is not detectable, but I wondered if that assumes an ECM swap. : -) I know that option and SFT's "re-install stock tune" capability is the ULTIMATE stealth. BTW - not concerned about NY state inspections, my local shop has assured me "no problems".
4) One more "Tune" question - I think GDE offers an Eco or a Hot Tune. I really am looking forward to an MPG "bump" with whatever my choice is (including if I go with SFT). Has anybody NOT seen an MPG improvement with the Hot Tune?

Thanks for all you do and thanks in advance for any responses.

Bob Close
You'll definitely see a MPG improvement with GDE. I do a lot of city driving and I'm impressed, even with city driving, my mpg is higher than what it was when it was stock. With stock, I was getting 21 mpg with city driving, with gde, i'm pretty steady around 27-28 mpg in the city with stop and go traffic, I can get 29-30 with a lot more highway driving.

But GDE isn't just about MPG gains or HP gains. There's several posts comparing the two tunes, read up on them and decide what works best for you. Only you know how you want to use your truck, certainly ask everyone questions, there's lots of amazing help here so you're just forking over $$$ blindly...

TooClose Racing

Dec 20, 2017
Truck Year
Not Listed
Just let me insert a fact-check here: This truck only sees 19-21 mpg driving around town. Sure, better than my V8 Mountaineer ever did in city driving, but seems more consistent with the emissions recall software fix and what I've read on this forum.