• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Brand new truck exhaust filter at 90% twice in first 600km

torontotruck

Nov 22, 2019
Truck Year
Hey there, I just bought a 2019 ram 1500 classic with the 3L ecodiesel.

When I picked up the truck it had 300km. at 450km I got a warning that the exhaust filter was at 90% I took it on the highway and it went away.

Now I'm up to 550km and I'm getting the 90% warning again. I live in the city and it will be a couple more days before I can get on the highway.

Is this Normal?! I just today filled the diesel tank for the first time and have twice had this issue with the exhaust filter clogged. I'm at a point where I'd like to trade the truck in for the gas model.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

John

Nov 13, 2015
Probably normal if you do a lot of city driving. Regens can take place in as little as approx. 70 miles. Did you get a notice on the EVIC at 80%? That should have been the first notice. If you reach 100% you are going to be visiting the dealer unless you use AlphOBD and can force a regen yourself. The truck will go into limp mode at 100% .

The gasser might be the better option if you do a lot of city driving.

torontotruck

Nov 22, 2019
Truck Year
Wow, I can't believe the filter clogs so quickly. Most of my driving is in the city, this makes the vehicle almost unusable for me. How does the AlphOBD work? I'd be fine with periodically force the regen.

I got a notice at 80% but it went to 90% almost immediately afterwards.

The DEF level gauge is just over 1/4 already. Again,I picked up the truck like 2 weeks ago, should it be that low?

Thanks again for the feedback.

torontotruck

Nov 22, 2019
Truck Year
I just looked up alfaobd. Is it paid only or is there a free android .apk kicking around. I have a bluetooth obd scanner.

John

Nov 13, 2015
I just looked up alfaobd. Is it paid only or is there a free android .apk kicking around. I have a bluetooth obd scanner.
You have to buy it for about 50 bucks and you will also need the bluetooth adapter. Best to use one of the adapters recommended by Alpha.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Wow, I can't believe the filter clogs so quickly. Most of my driving is in the city, this makes the vehicle almost unusable for me. How does the AlphOBD work? I'd be fine with periodically force the regen.

I got a notice at 80% but it went to 90% almost immediately afterwards.

The DEF level gauge is just over 1/4 already. Again,I picked up the truck like 2 weeks ago, should it be that low?

Thanks again for the feedback.
Was the DEF level full two weeks ago?

torontotruck

Nov 22, 2019
Truck Year
DEF level was just over 1/4 tank when I got it at the dealership at 300km. now at 550km it's just under 1/4 tank. I assume it would have come full from the factory though wouldn't it?

I'm going to take it to a different dealership service department.

Does anyone know a reputable dealer in Toronto area? Or a good diesel mechanic in the area who knows these vehicles?

John

Nov 13, 2015
You will typically get about 8-10,000 miles on a full tank of DEF. Keep in mind the DEF system has nothing to to do with the regeneration of the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). I don't think the DEF tank would be filled from the factory. Sometimes the dealer will top it off as a courtesy upon the sale,

Rudeboy

Nov 18, 2019
Truck Year
DEF level was just over 1/4 tank when I got it at the dealership at 300km. now at 550km it's just under 1/4 tank. I assume it would have come full from the factory though wouldn't it?

Does anyone know a reputable dealer in Toronto area? Or a good diesel mechanic in the area who knows these vehicles?
I bought my truck at Peel. Not sure how the service department stacks up, worth a try.
Regarding the regen, I have had success manually riding the truck in a lower gear to do the regen around town. It's all about keeping the revs up

Bob S.

Sep 1, 2016
Truck Year

Just go to a truck stop and fill the DEF at the pump but DONOT fill past 3/4 for the winter as it will freeze in the DEF tank below -16 C and split the tank open! (Add slowly as the truck stop pump really pumps the DEF out fast!)

The truck is not made for city driving (great system) but if you have an EDGE III you can see all the activities (soot levels, temperatures, gear your running in while in manual mode etc.) You can make the burn complete while running in the city by gearing down and running about 2,500 rpm to keep the temp. up for the burn (about 10 minutes). I learned that trick while operating in MEX where you never get above 80 kph and it was burning about every 100 km. It would such a good system if it was not for the garbage pollution control system!!

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
You can fill (DEF) to Over-full if you like, DI/Urea 67/33% (DEF) expansion when frozen is like .001.

I have filled many trucks Via Gallons, to when you can see it in the fill tube, In fact used Distilled water most of the time.....2013-16 Does NOT have the urea sensor and the NOx sensors are so forgiving the only warning you get is when they have failed 100%. the 2017-19 Tigger Codes at 22% Concentrate, So you can mix 1 Gallon DS to 2.5 Gallons DEF, this will likely resolve all the DEF injector crystallization Problems.

VM3.0 will be problematic if it not 50/50 Hwy/City miniumum.

You best Option is Gas.

torontotruck

Nov 22, 2019
Truck Year
Great advice here. I'm really glad I posted. I went to the dealer today and they offered to buy back the truck for 10k below what I paid for it 2 weeks ago, which is obviously nuts. I guess I'll be keeping the diesel and figuring out how to make it work in the city.

First thing I'm thinking I'll do is setup the alfaobd so I can run stationary regens when needed. Having the ability to see the filter % before it hits 80% will also be helpful. In retrospect gas would have been the better choice but, I'll have to make it work for now.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Yep...if You stationary regen Monthly that will help greatly, You will need to clean the Map sensor every 5K miles. and remove the diffuser tube and check the plenum, when it has about a 1/8 of cake soot on the swirl valves return to the dealer and complain its pulsating and jerking, at about 40K it will need replacing, well every 40K it will need replacing.

I do think you have a case, the recall was known at time of sale and they still sold it. I would speak to the Dealership upper people and let them know if it catches on fire they will be name in the law suit for damages, if you really push the envelope its probably rebadged 2018 to 19, Some states have laws for cut-off dates.

Their are also a handful of good faith laws most states have, if it has a recall, ( safety ) there in big trouble with HWY Public safety.

I investigate matters before purchase, but none the less if I was in your position they would be taking it back.

If you discreetly let them know you will be filing a complaint with the Commerce Dept (Most states its this Dept that issues the license to sell vehicles in that state) its ugly for the Dealerships record, and if they get to many the license will be conditional....Dealership Owners will do just about anything NOT to let it get that Far....

Bookmaker

Nov 23, 2019
Truck Year
Be careful with stationary regens. I ran one yesterday and ended up with about a liter of fuel in the motor oil. Verified on the dipstick and when I drained it for an oil change afterward.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Be careful with stationary regens. I ran one yesterday and ended up with about a liter of fuel in the motor oil. Verified on the dipstick and when I drained it for an oil change afterward.
There must be an underlying issue with your truck. The fact that the regen is stationary will not cause that amount of oil dilution. You're talking about 10% fuel in the oil.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
There must be an underlying issue with your truck. The fact that the regen is stationary will not cause that amount of oil dilution. You're talking about 10% fuel in the oil.

X2...Maybe it was overfull , or check incorrectly.

Bookmaker did you take sample for OA?

Bookmaker

Nov 23, 2019
Truck Year
X2...Maybe it was overfull , or check incorrectly.

Bookmaker did you take sample for OA?
I had checked the level the week before. I did the oil change the same day as the forced regen. Because of the way it is implemented, regens on the EcoDiesel will put some fuel in the oil.

John

Nov 13, 2015
I had checked the level the week before. I did the oil change the same day as the forced regen. Because of the way it is implemented, regens on the EcoDiesel will put some fuel in the oil.
Likely <2%

RocketMan_2019

Nov 24, 2019
Truck Year
Hey there, I just bought a 2019 ram 1500 classic with the 3L ecodiesel.

When I picked up the truck it had 300km. at 450km I got a warning that the exhaust filter was at 90% I took it on the highway and it went away.

Now I'm up to 550km and I'm getting the 90% warning again. I live in the city and it will be a couple more days before I can get on the highway.

Is this Normal?! I just today filled the diesel tank for the first time and have twice had this issue with the exhaust filter clogged. I'm at a point where I'd like to trade the truck in for the gas model.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I used to have the same issues, when I first bought my 2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. I would consider not leaving your truck on idle for long periods of time and buying BLUEDEF, that got rid off my issues for me.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Just a FYI. DEF is not used for DPF regeneration. The DEF system is actually disabled during the regen. Idling for long periods of time is not recommended since it can introduce fuel into the oil, but has very little effect on DPF soot level. Just want to set the record straight. :)