• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Catastrophic engine failure

PaulR

Jul 1, 2020
Truck Year
My 2014 3.0L ecodiesel self destructed on June 24th, 2020. The engine seized and also took out the torque converter. My truck is currently at the ram dealership for repairs. Needs to have the engine and torque converter replaced. Only 56,700 miles on the truck but have owned it for 5 years and 10 months. Unfortunately I did not buy the extended warranty. Didn't think I'd need it. Waiting to hear from Chrysler about possible financial assistance. I loved this truck till this happened. No warning, no idiot light, all gauges were normal. It just died on the highway. Has anyone out there had a similar experience.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Yes, unfortunately it has happened to a number of trucks. More than the industry standard from what it seems. Hopefully FCA will step up and help. Good luck moving forward.

Mxvet0354

Apr 20, 2020
Truck Year
Does not sound good at all. I hope FCA will step up as well but my experience was just the opposite. My 2020 had to have an engine replacement with less than 300 miles on it. Purchased April 8th and just got it back a few days ago.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Green Diesel

Nov 17, 2015
Truck Year
Does not sound good at all. I hope FCA will step up as well but my experience was just the opposite. My 2020 had to have an engine replacement with less than 300 miles on it. Purchased April 8th and just got it back a few days ago.

Good luck and keep us updated.
We have been hearing of Gen3 engine failures now. The design tweaks in the new engine are not enough to prevent some failures. Also heard there is a cleanliness issue in the assembly plant. Glad they got you fixed up.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Its simply QC, lack of QC.

GDE, the excuses Fiat/VM Motori have Publish should make a Billy Goat Puke. Hmmmm Their 3.0 is doing all the Puking None left for the Goats?

VM Motori is not fit to be a Power plant Maker for the 1/2 Ton market with the current 603/3.0.

VM Motori should stop making frivolous claims and excuses, and excuse themselves from making the 3.0.

Its not that VM standards are at slightly above Industry standards, VM is pegging the Gauge for failures.

The only Hope for Rams 1/2 DSL is new Power plant.

Mxvet0354

Apr 20, 2020
Truck Year
GDE, they did get the truck back on the road but I am less than thrilled with FCA customer care (or lack there of). Complete and utter failure on that portion.

It seems no matter the issue, FCA lawyers will in no way give in and want to force a lengthy and costly court battle. Some people are just not in a position to risk losing big bucks on a lawsuit that may or may not result in a new truck or a buy back. They know even the Gen3 is a failure and are willing to fight anything to not have to buy them back. No one should buy a new vehicle and within 300 miles have the cab off twice and completely new engine installed. I was worried about the warranty but the second anyone has a "tune" for the Gen3 that offers a diet of certain components, I will be first in line.

TC - I could not agree more with every word you said.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
We have been hearing of Gen3 engine failures now. The design tweaks in the new engine are not enough to prevent some failures. Also heard there is a cleanliness issue in the assembly plant. Glad they got you fixed up.

Now we have to see if the failure rate/problems will be the same as the older generation. For the sake of my sanity on this site, I sure hope not.

PaulR

Jul 1, 2020
Truck Year
Thanks for the feedback everybody. $14,550.00 for a new engine and torque converter including parts, labor, and taxes. Also had to absorb the cost of rental truck and towing to the tune of $600+. Thank you AAA. Could have been much worse! The new engine comes with a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty. Come on FCA! Really! I'm going to give FCA a chance to reply to my request for assistance paying for the damage, but don't really expect anything. Depending on that outcome I will most likely keep this truck for another 2 years and 11 months. Any legal action being pursued regarding these defective Eco Diesel engines?

Mxvet0354

Apr 20, 2020
Truck Year
I hate to hear that for your sake but after my experience, I would expect no less. I think your expectations are in the right place though, I highly doubt any help from FCA will come. If you wait on them, it would be years I would imagine. They made so many promises that just turned out to be pure lies while they were waiting on an engine to ship from Italy and then install it. Once it was done, they called and told me to come get it. After that, they denied any and every discussion we had, even though I had emails to back them up.

I hope they do something to help you....

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Now we have to see if the failure rate/problems will be the same as the older generation. For the sake of my sanity on this site, I sure hope not.

I do think something is in the works, I can't post exact #s but Coon Rapids Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, Ram sold over 100 New Gas Pickups and less then 4 EcoDSL's in June 2020. Case in point March 2015 Coon Rapids sold 15 EcoDsl's.

You just cannot have #s like this before the maker throws in the Towel, Even Fiat, not that infatuated With VM Motori.

Ronald Doupe

Mar 18, 2018
Truck Year
I do think something is in the works, I can't post exact #s but Coon Rapids Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, Ram sold over 100 New Gas Pickups and less then 4 EcoDSL's in June 2020. Case in point March 2015 Coon Rapids sold 15 EcoDsl's.

You just cannot have #s like this before the maker throws in the Towel, Even Fiat, not that infatuated With VM Motori.
The question is what was their inventory then, how many diesels did they have, and how many gas engines?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
The Inventory changes daily do to dealer trades....SOLD over 100 New GAS, their is only two options 3.6/5.7 GAS. One DSL option VM 3.0.

I did NOT include Dealer Trades, at any Time The Dealership has over 200 NEW PU's on the pavement.

Ronald Doupe

Mar 18, 2018
Truck Year
The Inventory changes daily do to dealer trades....SOLD over 100 New GAS, their is only two options 3.6/5.7 GAS. One DSL option VM 3.0.

I did NOT include Dealer Trades, at any Time The Dealership has over 200 NEW PU's on the pavement.
My point is Dealers sell what they have on the lot, maybe they only had 3-4 Diesels

PaulR

Jul 1, 2020
Truck Year
I think what it boils down to for us Eco Diesel owners is what is our truck worth now. It hurts enough to be misled by Ram the way they touted their Eco Diesel engine. Like it was the greatest thing since the invention of sliced bread. But to find their is no market for used Eco Diesels is just pouring salt in the wound. Screw us once, shame on them. Screw us twice, shame on us! Life is short. lesson learned, time to move on.

gofishingup

Sep 2, 2019
Truck Year
Look at the TACOMA. Sure, they need an update inside but you never hear anything about their engines or transmissions. Although they still have the 6-speed transmission, and they don't get the greatest gas milage (20mpg average with the V-6), they are solid mechanically. My 2016 Ram 3.0 eco diesel has been nothing but problems, dash lights on again and back to the dealership, the 5th time back in in 2020.

I'm getting rid of this truck. I looked at them all and Toyota has the most dependable truck out there. They don't have all the bells and whistles like some other brands, but they don't have all the consumer complaints either. What you are seeing in the automotive world is problems associated with the auto industry trying to meet unreasonable milage mandates that were implemented in the past. Look at what manufacturers are building intake manifolds out of; basically plastic. On my diesel the intake manifold has melted twice, luckily no flames. I see on other manufacturers with the turbo charged engines, they have plastic engine parts including manifolds. I think the small Ford 4 cylinder is like that. This motor puts out a ton of horse power and has somewhere around 400 ft pounds of torque. There is no damn way that motor is not going to have problems. I think I read that the intake manifold on that motor is a plastic composite.

Most of the companies had to go to 8 or 10 speed transmissions to meet the mpg standards. Look for more complaints on these transmissions as they get more miles on them.

After researching all the trucks, I'm convinced Toyota makes the best one. I think this in large part has to deal with the fact that they didn't make a ton of changes off the base model that they have had for years. Rumor is the 2021 model is going to come with some updates in the cabin. I'll wait until this fall to see what's available in the new model.

Mxvet0354

Apr 20, 2020
Truck Year
Gofishingup - I think you nailed it perfectly on the Tacoma. My wife has a 2019 and it has been nothing but exceptional from day one. Dated and very little room in the backseat but as far as reliable, like most Toyota's, it has been fantastic. Oil changes, tire rotations is it. Does not get the best mileage but drives/rides great. We just needed something bigger with more backseat room for the kiddos. Something tells me her Tacoma will be around FAR longer than the 2020 Ecodiesel, time will tell.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
My point is Dealers sell what they have on the lot, maybe they only had 3-4 Diesels

O ,I see your point now, Ronald They just No longer are selling, As of Now their are 132 Gas 1500s and 3 Ecodiesel's. The Dealership is required to have certain #s on the lot....Just to put it simple, Ecodiesel's are a noise bleed to most Dealerships in the USA.

I also did a search within 50 Miles of 55434 their are only 18 Eco's and 923 Gas 1500

Mar 28, 2022
Truck Year
My 2014 3.0L ecodiesel self destructed on June 24th, 2020. The engine seized and also took out the torque converter. My truck is currently at the ram dealership for repairs. Needs to have the engine and torque converter replaced. Only 56,700 miles on the truck but have owned it for 5 years and 10 months. Unfortunately I did not buy the extended warranty. Didn't think I'd need it. Waiting to hear from Chrysler about possible financial assistance. I loved this truck till this happened. No warning, no idiot light, all gauges were normal. It just died on the highway. Has anyone out there had a similar experience.
I have 2018 ram 1500 crew cab 58,000 miles still making payments bought it april28.2021 engine seized Aug 12 2021..no warning ..nothing..should be under factory warranty..but no one will honor it..not USA..or CA..came from New brunswick..will never buy another dodge..they don't stand behind their product..Cindy E..NH

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Cindy what's up with the warranty?