• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Caught fire driving down the road. Guess i am not the only one.

stam2019

Jun 17, 2019
Truck Year
Hello guys, Im new here I bought my Ecodiesel 2016 Limited brand new no issues. Last week she had about 82000 miles, Engine throttle control came on with lack of speed. Took her to the dealership Monday . They said its a recall we extend the warranty to 120,000 miles and you will get a check for $3100 if you file a claim due emission issues. I picked her up Thursday drove her home about 10 miles and parked her. No issues. Then Sunday my wife and daughter took her for a trip down south FL about an hour drive she called and told me truck wasn't running okay. She made it down to the mall and did their shopping. After shopping start to drive back home and the truck started to act weird. She saw smoke coming out in the back and throttle control came on again and shortly after smoke from hood. They stopped at the grass on the side of the turnpike and ran, 2 minutes later the car was covered in flames. The truck is now a shell. Any thoughts /

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Hello guys, Im new here I bought my Ecodiesel 2016 Limited brand new no issues. Last week she had about 82000 miles, Engine throttle control came on with lack of speed. Took her to the dealership Monday . They said its a recall we extend the warranty to 120,000 miles and you will get a check for $3100 if you file a claim due emission issues. I picked her up Thursday drove her home about 10 miles and parked her. No issues. Then Sunday my wife and daughter took her for a trip down south FL about an hour drive she called and told me truck wasn't running okay. She made it down to the mall and did their shopping. After shopping start to drive back home and the truck started to act weird. She saw smoke coming out in the back and throttle control came on again and shortly after smoke from hood. They stopped at the grass on the side of the turnpike and ran, 2 minutes later the car was covered in flames. The truck is now a shell. Any thoughts /
Welcome. It's happen to quite a few members here. I would recommend searching "fire" here and you'll see plenty of threads.

Patrity

May 2, 2019
Truck Year
There is more and more of these occurrences it seems....

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Its becoming way to common, its weekly fires are occurring, at an Alarming rate.

Hawaii_Built

Oct 16, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed

Gern2469

Sep 29, 2019
Truck Year
Just bought one 2016 laramie longhorn with 60k on it thursday night friday at 7pm was burning to the ground on highway didnt even have the truck for more than a day.
Cert. Pre owned and dealership said nothing they can do call the 1800 #. How can they not be responsible

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
remove all plastic and foam from the top of the engine like I said before its a fire hazard

John

Nov 13, 2015
Just bought one 2016 laramie longhorn with 60k on it thursday night friday at 7pm was burning to the ground on highway didnt even have the truck for more than a day.
Cert. Pre owned and dealership said nothing they can do call the 1800 #. How can they not be responsible
Sorry to hear. That really sucks big time. You need to call your insurance company and file a claim. That's how it works.

Gern2469

Sep 29, 2019
Truck Year
Sorry to hear. That really sucks big time. You need to call your insurance company and file a claim. That's how it works.
Yeah it does had my 7 month pregnant wife In The truck just lucky no one was hurt.

Tbar

Aug 24, 2019
Truck Year
My 2015 with 128,000 miles on it caught on fire 2 weeks ago. Did exactly what others have described ---weird pinging noise, loss of power,
check throttle body message came on, then died and smoke was billowing out of hood. Jumped out popped plastic cover off top of engine and saw that the intake manifold was on fire. Intake manifold is PLASTIC! I put the fire out before it caused any more damage---almost melted
the wiring harness. Had it towed home and decided to fix it myself. Ordered new manifold and worked whole day getting old one out---some really challenging to get to bolts! Plus wiring harness and fuel bars need to come off. When I pulled off the old intake manifold I was SHOCKED at how bad it was ---all of the butterfly valves were caked with diesel soot at least a 1/4 inch thick. I have no idea how it even ran or why some check engine code did not light up. From seeing this I believe every one of these trucks is a time bomb if you do not clean the intake manifold. Cleaning the EGR/Manifold tube is a joke---the real issue is the buildup in the manifold! The new ECU update actually makes the EGR gases hotter to help burn the soot. Problem is when you do this to a truck with tons of build up it can cause a fire!
Got the new intake manifold in and it ran great for 3 days. Now the check engine light is on for the DPF. In the process of pulling that out as I'm sure it completely clogged up. Anyone pull their DPF? Have any advice?

Last edited:

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
did u use a banks or oem don't put any of that foam back on. do u mean dpf

Tbar

Aug 24, 2019
Truck Year
Yes I mean DPF--oops
The foam was off when the fire happened.
I had pulled it after reading other posts about fire hazard.
Well----the fire still happened!

Tbar

Aug 24, 2019
Truck Year
I should have called them---website I saw Banks on was terrible
Would have saved $250

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
well at least u saved your truck so u saved a lot more than 250.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
My 2015 with 128,000 miles on it caught on fire 2 weeks ago. Did exactly what others have described ---weird pinging noise, loss of power,
check throttle body message came on, then died and smoke was billowing out of hood. Jumped out popped plastic cover off top of engine and saw that the intake manifold was on fire. Intake manifold is PLASTIC! I put the fire out before it caused any more damage---almost melted
the wiring harness. Had it towed home and decided to fix it myself. Ordered new manifold and worked whole day getting old one out---some really challenging to get to bolts! Plus wiring harness and fuel bars need to come off. When I pulled off the old intake manifold I was SHOCKED at how bad it was ---all of the butterfly valves were caked with diesel soot at least a 1/4 inch thick. I have no idea how it even ran or why some check engine code did not light up. From seeing this I believe every one of these trucks is a time bomb if you do not clean the intake manifold. Cleaning the EGR/Manifold tube is a joke---the real issue is the buildup in the manifold! The new ECU update actually makes the EGR gases hotter to help burn the soot. Problem is when you do this to a truck with tons of build up it can cause a fire!
Got the new intake manifold in and it ran great for 3 days. Now the check engine light is on for the DPF. In the process of pulling that out as I'm sure it completely clogged up. Anyone pull their DPF? Have any advice?

You will need stationary De-soot, Its most likely will need more than 1, Alfa or WITech are the tools needed although others will work.

After the 1st de-sooting just drive it a couple of miles and re-attempt.