• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Chirping Noise

SOP

Dec 11, 2017
Truck Year
My 2014 Ram Ecodiesel is making a higher pitch chirping / squeaking noise when I’m pushing the “gas” pedal just enough to maintain speed. I don’t know if this is normal or not, but it sure gets annoying when my radio is off. If I let off the pedal it goes away but instantly comes back the moment I step back on the pedal to maintain speed. If I accelerate it seems the other typical Diesel engine noise drowns it out. Here’s a short video.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I can't say I've heard that before. Can you stop and raise the hood, and see if you can trace it down while it's running in park? Maybe have someone give it throttle in different range.

SOP

Dec 11, 2017
Truck Year
I've tried that and it doesn't make the noise. Tried in 4wd as well, and its the same. I might spend some time this weekend trying to figure it out.

Pizza04

Mar 4, 2018
Truck Year
It may be your cabin fan blower motor. Does it make the noise when the fan is off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SOP

Dec 11, 2017
Truck Year
thanks. still trying to figure it out. It's really consistent, typically can hear it up around 70 mph, at which point I think the road noise ect drown it out.

I know the squeak Pizza04 is talking about regarding the fan blower motor, and this is definitely not that.

SOP

Dec 11, 2017
Truck Year
It may be your turbo...

I'm thinking it's got to be something with the intake somewhere because it goes away when coasting and comes back with just a lil throttle. I don't know that it's something wrong with the turbo, but more likely a leak somewhere? I feel like if it was the actual turbo it would still make noise at idle or in park and giving it throttle... It doesn't do it in park which is really odd.

Pizza04

Mar 4, 2018
Truck Year
The turbo spools up when you give it throttle so it’s spinning faster. Do you still have warranty on the truck? I think the turbo is covered under the original 100k powertrain, I know it’s an internally lubricated part. Hope this helps. You really need to pop the hood and have someone bring the idle up, rev the motor, and listen for the noise, hopefully it is just a lose duct or something.

Dallas

May 22, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
My 2018 with 800 miles is making the same noise, seems to go a way after it warms up?

LuSer59

Mar 30, 2021
Truck Year
My 2014 Ram Ecodiesel is making a higher pitch chirping / squeaking noise when I’m pushing the “gas” pedal just enough to maintain speed. I don’t know if this is normal or not, but it sure gets annoying when my radio is off. If I let off the pedal it goes away but instantly comes back the moment I step back on the pedal to maintain speed. If I accelerate it seems the other typical Diesel engine noise drowns it out. Here’s a short video.

I know this is a relatively old post, but did you ever find out the cause for this? I'm currently dealing with it now.

jbstaten

Aug 2, 2021
Truck Year
I know this is a relatively old post, but did you ever find out the cause for this? I'm currently dealing with it now.
I also just noticed this, did you ever figure it out?

I compared with my dad's EcoDiesel, and we concluded that his does it too, but not nearly as loud. I replaced dpf/scr flange bolts and gasket as preventative maintenance, and was hoping this might help.. I found that mine had already had the flange studs removed and replaced with bolts, which were also already in very poor condition.

epare77

Oct 2, 2021
Truck Year
Yep, mine started yesterday to do this, at first I'm thinking it is a pully but now I'll check for other reason, nonetheless can someone respond and give us their answer to this issue so we can post for further searcher?

epare77

Oct 2, 2021
Truck Year
Yep, mine started yesterday to do this, at first I'm thinking it is a pully but now I'll check for other reason, nonetheless can someone respond and give us their answer to this issue so we can post for further searcher?
Oh and by the way, I've a 2016 slt with over 300thousand klm, only previous issue has been the egr

jbstaten

Aug 2, 2021
Truck Year
Oh and by the way, I've a 2016 slt with over 300thousand klm, only previous issue has been the egr
I did 2 things, and it seems to have gone away, or been greatly reduced.

The first thing I did was a couple heavy doses of injector cleaner coupled with working it hard towing the camper.

The second thing I did was GDE hot tune, emissions intact.

I also replaced idler pulleys, tensioner, and the belt initially with low expectations. With your mileage I dont think it would hurt.

epare77

Oct 2, 2021
Truck Year
Yep, this was my first though, those tensioner and driver pulley. But what about what everyone else is talking about, that gasket or coupler for the Def exhaust ??

jbstaten

Aug 2, 2021
Truck Year
Yep, this was my first though, those tensioner and driver pulley. But what about what everyone else is talking about, that gasket or coupler for the Def exhaust ??
Check this video:

The studs on mine were removed and replaced with bolts before I purchased the truck. They were looking rough so I replaced them and the gasket just to be sure. I've heard it is very loud.