• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Concerned Newbie !!!

BIGTEX

Jul 11, 2017
Truck Year
Longtime Dodge guy...thank goodness I just found this site ... currently driving a 2014 RAM Laramie Longhorn Eco Diesel 144K miles and about three or four weeks ago started hearing a knocking noise. I thought it might be a clogged injector so I have run some injection cleaners and oil additives thru it, and put about another 2K miles on it but still hearing the knock...got on internet and this website and I am pretty nervous about what I see and read and what lies ahead. I put close to 5K a month on the truck and I luv it, before I had the truck leveled and some larger tires put on I was getting 27-29 mpg on highway... not now...now I just need it to run without the knocking sound. I have dropped down to about 22-24 mgh highway now. I dont think Dodge will be of much help either...drove by a dealership last week and they have pulled all their Eco's to the back of the building...You guys thoughts are welcome...Thanks!

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Doesn't sound like a good situation at all. If you're outside of any warranties it's gonna be a costly fix IE new/used engine. Nobody seems to rebuild them, just replace.

I'm curious what dealership has multiple unsold '16 Ecodiesels out there and why they pulled them to the back of the building.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

BIGTEX

Jul 11, 2017
Truck Year
Doesn't sound like a good situation at all. If you're outside of any warranties it's gonna be a costly fix IE new/used engine. Nobody seems to rebuild them, just replace.

I'm curious what dealership has multiple unsold '16 Ecodiesels out there and why they pulled them to the back of the building.

BIGTEX

Jul 11, 2017
Truck Year
It was a dealer in the eastern part of Texas. I did not verify ... it was just his response to my question of what did he know about the latest Eco Diesel conflict with the EPA

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Welcome, hopefully your "knocking" issue is nothing catastrophic. That's proven to be costly out of warranty as @Brady mentioned.

When are you expecting to hear back from the dealer?

BIGTEX

Jul 11, 2017
Truck Year
Welcome, hopefully your "knocking" issue is nothing catastrophic. That's proven to be costly out of warranty as @Brady mentioned.

When are you expecting to hear back from the dealer?
I have not taken it in as of yet...it seems to be running fine, with the exception of the knocking sound and the drop in mpg... trying to decide if I want to go ahead and maybe try to trade or not...I am sure not prepared to buy a new engine!

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I have not taken it in as of yet...it seems to be running fine, with the exception of the knocking sound and the drop in mpg... trying to decide if I want to go ahead and maybe try to trade or not...I am sure not prepared to buy a new engine!

I honestly wouldn't drive it.. if it is something that's fixing to let loose, finding an engine shop that could rebuild what you have might be cheaper than buying a entire new block.. but, I haven't priced either thankfully!

BIGTEX

Jul 11, 2017
Truck Year
I honestly wouldn't drive it.. if it is something that's fixing to let loose, finding an engine shop that could rebuild what you have might be cheaper than buying a entire new block.. but, I haven't priced either thankfully!
That's my problem, I cant tell that anything is wrong except when it is idling ...I have had two of my customers recently notice that it was knocking ,but once I get rolling it is business as usual ... it is hard to know what to do, I really dont want to pull it off the road for an extended period of time , but I dont want to be stranded on the side of the road somewhere hours from home either...I dont know, taking it to a Dodge shop to fix is troubling to me too.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Hurry up and trade that SOB off.
Yea agreed. If you can dump it before it grenades, do it.

BIGTEX

Jul 11, 2017
Truck Year
You can add my 2014 Ram Longhorn to the list of blown engines...after joining this website just a few days ago and reading about the repetitive nature of many of these issues I got very concerned because of the knocking sound I was hearing coming from my engine compartment although to me it did not seem to be too bad, just noticeable , too many flags had already been raised by you guys for me to be anything but very nervous at this point. Then I took one of my customers to lunch this week and he noticed it as he was getting in the truck...also, many of you guys had shared the seriousness and urgency for me to unload the truck somewhere as fast as I could because I was sitting on a tapping time bomb . Well, I live out in the county so this morning I drove the 45 minutes in to the city, made a sales call then hit the nearest Dodge dealership to try to trade it. During the appraisal process they came out and told me that my engine was knocking, and would need to be replaced and would cost about 14K to put in a new one, I said I dont think so, and they offered me a very small sum 7K for my truck as it was. I was not expecting that either, stunned & shocked by all that had just happened I drive off about 15 minutes down the road as I was headed to another dealership I heard a loud noise in the engine, then everything shut down and I just coasted to a stop...the only light that I remember seeing flash several times was low oil pressure. Then it went dead... would not turn back over, just dead... the guy that came to tow me looked up under the motor and saw lots of oil . Three hours later, my truck is now sitting in my front yard and I am waiting on a call from the dealership tomorrow where I bought it to respond back to me...You guys had called it correctly like a grenade just waiting to explode.

BIGTEX 2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Longhorn Eco-Diesel 144K mile

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
You can add my 2014 Ram Longhorn to the list of blown engines...after joining this website just a few days ago and reading about the repetitive nature of many of these issues I got very concerned because of the knocking sound I was hearing coming from my engine compartment although to me it did not seem to be too bad, just noticeable , too many flags had already been raised by you guys for me to be anything but very nervous at this point. Then I took one of my customers to lunch this week and he noticed it as he was getting in the truck...also, many of you guys had shared the seriousness and urgency for me to unload the truck somewhere as fast as I could because I was sitting on a tapping time bomb . Well, I live out in the county so this morning I drove the 45 minutes in to the city, made a sales call then hit the nearest Dodge dealership to try to trade it. During the appraisal process they came out and told me that my engine was knocking, and would need to be replaced and would cost about 14K to put in a new one, I said I dont think so, and they offered me a very small sum 7K for my truck as it was. I was not expecting that either, stunned & shocked by all that had just happened I drive off about 15 minutes down the road as I was headed to another dealership I heard a loud noise in the engine, then everything shut down and I just coasted to a stop...the only light that I remember seeing flash several times was low oil pressure. Then it went dead... would not turn back over, just dead... the guy that came to tow me looked up under the motor and saw lots of oil . Three hours later, my truck is now sitting in my front yard and I am waiting on a call from the dealership tomorrow where I bought it to respond back to me...You guys had called it correctly like a grenade just waiting to explode.

BIGTEX 2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Longhorn Eco-Diesel 144K mile

Ahh man, sorry to hear that..

If the dealer won't help you out, I would try to find a pullout motor and pay a reputable diesel shop to swap them. I'm thinking it's got to be cheaper than a new engine and install at the dealership.

Keep us updated.