• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Considering a new Eco Diesel

mikent

Apr 8, 2020
Truck Year
I’m new to the forum and am considering buying a 2020 Eco Diesel. I’ve driven a friends older Eco Diesel and liked the truck. Can anyone tell me if the eco diesel shuts off when you stop at a stoplight, then restarts when you let your foot off the brake?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Forgive Me IN advance, By gas If this is your most motivating factor in Buying DSL.

If it just to Know, its NOT equipped with E-TQ, The E-TQ works great on the Gas Engine, I demo the Feature Last Year, The all-one Starter, Generator belt drive work seamlessly , If you let off the brake you could feel the truck move and than start before your foot hit the Good Pedal. E-TQ is way more friendly Than Start-Stop Feature.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I’m new to the forum and am considering buying a 2020 Eco Diesel. I’ve driven a friends older Eco Diesel and liked the truck. Can anyone tell me if the eco diesel shuts off when you stop at a stoplight, then restarts when you let your foot off the brake?

Welcome!

To soon to say if the 2020's will have some of the same issues the older generations have.

Auto stop info:

mikent

Apr 8, 2020
Truck Year
Forgive Me IN advance, By gas If this is your most motivating factor in Buying DSL.

If it just to Know, its NOT equipped with E-TQ, The E-TQ works great on the Gas Engine, I demo the Feature Last Year, The all-one Starter, Generator belt drive work seamlessly , If you let off the brake you could feel the truck move and than start before your foot hit the Good Pedal. E-TQ is way more friendly Than Start-Stop Feature.

TC, i currently have a 2019 Ram Hemi with e-torque. There‘s a lot to like about the truck and e-torque but i’ll be pulling a trailer more than in the past and while the hemi pulls a trailer ok, I’m inclined to think the diesel will be better suited for the job. I will say this the stop/start feature on the e-torque is seamless and would recommend it over the normal stop/start vehicles that use the standard starter function. Thank you for your feeback.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Mikent, are you using tow mode? My Hemi's easily out pull My 3.92 3.0. I'm going to pull this wagon today to the Jobsite. I've also have pulled GVW Truck/Trailer at 12K LBS, although the Hemi's pull it better then the 3.0 IMO the truck does NOT like that GVW AT All, All four of My 1500s are Air ride. Yes I own Construction Company, Along with MFG and Partnered with Auto group. I also have 2500s & 3500s and Class+ trucks.
Trailer New 2018.jpg
Jeep trailer.jpg
ED Ram Trailer RS.jpg

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
My 2019 Limited Does NOT have E-TQ, I just don't drive enough city to warrant the extra $$$.

The only concern I have with E-TQ is the solid-state Battery behing the rear seat, its spendee to replace, if it can last 8-10yrs?

I will also state this, My 2019 Ram 5.7 excels in every Category over My 2014-13 5.7s

mikent

Apr 8, 2020
Truck Year
My ram has 3:21 gears, which is fine for hiway and town driving but I would like the diesel
torque when pulling a trailer through the hill country and when the wind picks up,

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
OK. The VM 3.0 Was a joint venture VM/GM the original intent was For Europe's GM Caddy, 2004-06 ,It was NEVER intended to be a Pulling Motor. Just Because its a DSL does not equal a pulling engine. If You want pulling BUY Cummins.

VernDiesel

Mar 13, 2017
Truck Year
If you want to regularly pull a trailer of size & weight best suited for a 3/4 ton platform get a Cummins or Dmax or Powerstroke. If you want to pull a trailer say 10k or less for a flatbed or 8k or less for a travel trailer ie 1/2 ton platform appropriate the new Ecodiesel will tow with ease less rpm & noise and certainly a lot less fuel than a gasser. There is nothing to suggest the new Ecodiesel won't be well suited for 1/2 ton appropriate load towing. To say Ram gives it a 12k max tow rating but didn't design it for towing is ridiculous on the face of it.

The new 2020 gen 3 Ecodiesel is dramatically re designed with 80 percent new parts. Having nothing to do with GM or a Cadillac car other than some historic reference.

Even the 2nd gen motor which had a host of emissions problems that have lead to bearing failures & intake fires made a good moderate weight tow engine especially combined with the outstanding 8 speed once a person remedied the emissions problems it was saddled with. Ram did limit its towing by mounting the intercooler in front of the radiator which lead to heat issues when towing fast with a high wind drag trailer. That withstanding I put 371,000 miles towing travel trailers commercially with my first engine before it pushed a head gasket due to low coolant stemming from an EGR cooler leak. Today while not gov compliant a tune & EGR cooler delete resolves these issues. My replacement gen 2 engine now has 293,000 again towing TTs & boats commercially. If you have a gen 2 use tow haul when towing and don't heavily load the motor for an extended time below 2k plus proper maintenance and she will live like a diesel should.

The company I contract with has had three other drivers with gen 2 EDs Robert Brian & James. 212k when health forced retirement, left for another company with 150k ish and still towing with 350k. My son also had an oversize load company truck that always traveled with a 1,000 pounds in the bed between 100 gallon diesel tank chains & bindings cones tools antifreeze etc for over 200k before he left the company. These are high mile trucks that I know of personally. And several others at the other forum. As spelled out here we know how to allow these trucks to live long with minimal problems and great fuel efficient service.

Last edited by a moderator:

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I have decades of Commercial Use, Every endorsement available moved oversized loads in excess of 500,000 LBS.

I have seen what happens when Drivers/Owners take their 1500-4500 trucks to the Max allowed.

I'm Sure if someone Tip off the FMCSA the Company Vern contracted with would inquire on Possible Violations.

I've Tow with 12K behind 1/2 Tons, In My Professional Opinion although allowed increase the safe operation in case of emergency stopping or Conditions that require action to avoid a crash. Always have More Pulling Iron beyond its rated legal listing.

Last edited by a moderator:

mikent

Apr 8, 2020
Truck Year
I’d like to thank everyone for there input. But I never did find out if the Eco Diesel is using the stop/start technology. My current e-torque Ram has stop/start and I find it’s seamless and so far has worked perfectly. That being said, I don’t think I would want stop/start with out e-torque. Again thank you for you’re opinions.

RRL3165

Nov 12, 2019
Truck Year
I do not believe it does unless it could be ordered that way. My 2020 does not start/stop like the gas burner.

mikent

Apr 8, 2020
Truck Year
I do not believe it does unless it could be ordered that way. My 2020 does not start/stop like the gas burner.

RRL, thank you for the feedback. I’ve found a ED Ram I’m interested in, but it‘s pretty difficult to get much info from the dealer.