• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Considering buying a 2014 RAM Eco Diesel

Danrweaver

Jul 2, 2022
Truck Year
Hey guys, I am considering buying a 2014 Ram Ecodiesel with around 165k miles. I am somewhat aware of the typical issues with the ecodiesel, but I'm curious how they hold up with higher milage. Any advice?

Anything special I should be aware of or look at? I am a capable mechanic and I'm very familiar with diesels. And I do most of my own maintenance.

Also, I plan to pull a 20-25 ft bumper pull RV with it. It should be under the official weight limit. Any thoughts on how the 3.0 handles towing?

Thanks
Drw

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
165-166k on my 14 and still holding strong. Use a good lubing fuel additive and 6k oil changes and fuel filter changes and no major issues

Barney556180

Oct 7, 2020
Truck Year
I bought my 2014 (Canada market) ED Sep 2020 and made sure all the recalls were performed and had all fluids replaced. Had to replace the rear brake rotors and pads, and had the dealer fix a couple CELs. I've put about 7K miles on with no major issues.

FYI
Recalls:
W58-Diesel crankshaft
R36-Steering wheel wiring
R23-Safety belt ORC module
T25-Safety belt ORC module
V44-Tailgate latch
VB1-EGR cooler

Campaigns
R51-Front grill cover
UO7-Rotary shift knob
U53-Safety belt ORC module
VA7-Approved Emissions Modification (AEM)
V16-Emissions control software Canada-only

X94 tone wheel extended warranty

T.Flatt

Sep 19, 2022
Truck Year
Hey guys, I am considering buying a 2014 Ram Ecodiesel with around 165k miles. I am somewhat aware of the typical issues with the ecodiesel, but I'm curious how they hold up with higher milage. Any advice?

Anything special I should be aware of or look at? I am a capable mechanic and I'm very familiar with diesels. And I do most of my own maintenance.

Also, I plan to pull a 20-25 ft bumper pull RV with it. It should be under the official weight limit. Any thoughts on how the 3.0 handles towing?

Thanks
Drw
.my first one was a 2014 100000 miles with no issues then someone rad a red and took it away from me. With proper maintenance it should
last for years.

Freedom319

Mar 28, 2021
Truck Year

Thanks
Drw
I’ve got a 2014 with 171,000. I change the oil every 5k miles and the fuel filter every 10k miles. My recommendation to anyone buying this is make sure most of your driving is highway. I’ve had really good experience towing too. It’s a great engine just don’t drive it like a hemi.

greatwhiterev

Aug 18, 2022
Truck Year
i own 2014 ED with 175k miles. DiD full delete and tune at 80k. No problems from 80-175k until recently. The throttle control butterfly valve has proven to be the issue. After fixing several CELs and continuing to get into limp mode I elected to simply remove the butterfly valve and have seemed to cured my problems. Towing with this vehicle has proven worth the investment for me. Since owning I have towed 24 ft bumper camper all over the US. Performs well and i'm very satisfied with it. i have kept up most all the maintenance myself. Not sure how much more life my truck has but i'm keeping till it dies. Best vehicle I have ever owned.

Freedom319

Mar 28, 2021
Truck Year
i own 2014 ED with 175k miles. DiD full delete and tune at 80k. No problems from 80-175k until recently. The throttle control butterfly valve has proven to be the issue. After fixing several CELs and continuing to get into limp mode I elected to simply remove the butterfly valve and have seemed to cured my problems. Towing with this vehicle has proven worth the investment for me. Since owning I have towed 24 ft bumper camper all over the US. Performs well and i'm very satisfied with it. i have kept up most all the maintenance myself. Not sure how much more life my truck has but i'm keeping till it dies. Best vehicle I have ever owned.

Thanks
Drw
I would also add that if it already has that many miles on, it was well taken care and not prone to accidents he issues that 10% of owners have. Those are of course the ones we hear the most about…also, it’s great from towing and has plenty of torque. Just make sure you check the specs for that particular truck. Mine, because of its setup, only has 1188lbs of weight it can carry and only 6995lbs towing capacity. When you start running the numbers with cargo and tongue weight, the trailer gets small…