• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

considering buying an ED

tgh117

Nov 21, 2019
Hello all, New here, been running jeeps for a long time and going to be upgraded to a pickup to pull a new camper that we are getting. Going from a pop up to a TT, so need to invest in a pickup. My dad is currently pulling the same camper with a 2011 Hemi 1500, but I am considering the ED, mostly for the fuel mileage and "fun" of the diesel world. Been looking hard at a 2017 with 28k on it that's local to me, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. its at a dealer, so I am playing the lets waste enough time so we can meet in the middle of price negotiations game.

Hoping to learn some information, mostly on these engines, as I am not new to the world of fixing vehicles.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Could be a good one could be a lemon. Bought mine with 113k and apparently at 109k the egr set the intake on fire. Guess that’s why mine doesn’t have matting on bottom of the hood. Have 133k on mind and only done a glow plug since owning.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
welcome 2 the group they could b good or a pile of junktry 2 stay away from high miles

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Welcome.. it sure seems like a gamble with all fires/recalls/motor issues. Just make sure you have a great warranty if you go that route, along with a good service department just in case!

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
If your going to use it as DD (Daily Driver) it will Be NO "FUN", The VM 3.0 Requires at Least 50/50 Hwy/City to survive, If you used it to mostly to tow the new wagon it will not Keep up with Your Dads Hemi. except you will pass Him while He's refueling if you drive over 250 Miles:)

tgh117

Nov 21, 2019
Thanks for the warm welcome. yea it sure seems that way recently. This truck I am looking at is a laramie, and it already has had the software update done to it, but I don't know a whole lot more about it. I drove it about 12 miles, everything seemed happy. it was 33 degrees and cold when I went for the test drive, but that's about all.

I have had a few buddies with crd liberties, so I am well versed with the issues that motor had, which probably can't be too far off what this motor has except for the DEF /DPF stuff.

Who knows what will happen, I drive about 10 miles each way to work, and its mixed stop and go and high way, but we tend to drive a lot for various things other then towing stuff around. I live in eastern PA, this truck has been in this area its whole life, but we have a fair amount of higher speed stuff that would probably make it clean out as expected.

We'll see how it goes, I really like the concept of the truck, and was leaning against the hemi as it tends to have its own issues after they pass 100k, just like anything does any more. Its just the way it is with vehicles these days.

tgh117

Nov 21, 2019
I am not super worried about making it do the regen cycle, I can easily take it at least every week as we usually go on all sorts of various trips over the weekends.

I am also considering the sofa king tune right off the bat, just the stage 1, and at least blocking the egr from the intake, just to keep it separated, as that thing seems to cause the majority of the issues. But if I do go ahead and buy it, I probably won't do anything to it until I see what the newest recall fix is, as this truck was already tagged for it according to the mopar website.

I only know 2 guys that have them in my area, both absolutely love them to death, but I see them everywhere around my area, so I would guess they are a fairly popular option here. I keep trying to stop people in parking lots and survey them, just hasn't worked out as much as I'd like yet lol.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Rumor has it the EPA will be launching another Sting...

Another matter to consider Tuning will end Your AEM warranty and your leftover Factory warranty on the Power Train.

FCA is required to Monitor the AEM, So they will be looking for the foot print it leaves, No tuning will prevent this.

The Dealer cannot Sell the Vehicle W/O the safety recall being done, if they do someone who knows their stuff and auditing the Dealers Books and Target that sale that Dealership will be in deep DoDo.... and if catches on Fire the legal Ramifications for both buyer and seller will just add to the hassle.

Its very , very sad it has come to this, Owning VM 3.0 Dsl brings on problems that are unavoidable, If you don't tune the EGR will destroy intake, Plenum, the EGR is severly challendge in the 3.0... WHO knows what NEW Problem(s) the replace EGR going to create. My sig say's it all.

tgh117

Nov 21, 2019
Rumor has it the EPA will be launching another Sting...

Another matter to consider Tuning will end Your AEM warranty and your leftover Factory warranty on the Power Train.

FCA is required to Monitor the AEM, So they will be looking for the foot print it leaves, No tuning will prevent this.

The Dealer cannot Sell the Vehicle W/O the safety recall being done, if they do someone who knows their stuff and auditing the Dealers Books and Target that sale that Dealership will be in deep DoDo.... and if catches on Fire the legal Ramifications for both buyer and seller will just add to the hassle.

Its very , very sad it has come to this, Owning VM 3.0 Dsl brings on problems that are unavoidable, If you don't tune the EGR will destroy intake, Plenum, the EGR is severly challendge in the 3.0... WHO knows what NEW Problem(s) the replace EGR going to create. My sig say's it all.

Yea I get that, but being that its a 2017 it was not part of the AEM or payouts, so hopefully that makes it better for me. At this point I will wait till the 3/36 warranty runs out, and probably make a few non essential parts fall off of it. It seems that most of the warranty related work for these trucks is for the emissions equipment on the motor, and my state does not require emissions for diesels, so we shall see what happens down the road.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I don't know the details ,other than they are required to monitor.
It does not change the fact your warranty have been Violated, IMO its worth the risk on the VM3.0.