• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Crankshaft positioning sensor and Tone Ring Failure on Eco diesel.

8v71

Aug 4, 2019
Truck Year
Truck is a 2015 Eco diesel with a PPEI tune and full delete. I was coming out of Island Park, Idaho headed south toward home in eastern Idaho towing the camper and RZR in my usual train set up and my pickup just shut down, just barely got of the road. first thought was, it blew up at 120,000 miles. Could not really find anything wrong, no smoke, bad sounds or coolant or oil leaks. So I grabbed my Autel code reader and the code came up for crankshaft positioning sensor failure. long story short. there is a tone ring that is shaped like a shallow cup that fits between the flywheel and the crankshaft with a magnetic tape around the outside diameter that signals the positioning sensor. A piece of the tape about and 1/8 inch wide delaminated off the ring (plus there was cracks in the tape all the way around it), then struck the sensor and they were both wrecked. From FCA the sensor is $445.00 (PN# 68102341AA), the Ring is $150.00, dealer labor to pull the Transmission and install the parts is $950.00 dollars. You can do the math. But it runs now. The sensor from NAPA is $100.00.

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
I've heard about that issue a bit lately... is it more prone to breaking if you tow more frequently?

8v71

Aug 4, 2019
Truck Year
I think heat contributes, the ring looked like a weathered rubber tire. It was going to delaminate sometime. But having said that, I was shifted into 2nd gear coming off the hill that runs between a 6 to 7 percent grade, two miles long and down to 35 mph because of the heavy traffic and construction, and was at 4,200 RPM as I have always done to keep from destroying the brakes since I've owned the pickup and all the other ones I have owned, it was just my time. I asked the dealer why these things are coming apart and he said we don't know but we keep them in stock because we have it happen enough to justify the part. The Thing they had to order was the Sensor it's self because they seldom have to replace that.

fxclm5

Mar 16, 2018
Truck Year
This is a bad design, the magnetic sensor is literally taped onto a rotating piece of mas...

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
Doesn't the sensor go through the Trans case from the out side the ring goes on the crank shaft. replace the ring first

8v71

Aug 4, 2019
Truck Year
no, you have to remove the transmission to get to any of it.

8v71

Aug 4, 2019
Truck Year
The sensor has a small screw that has to be unscrewed inside the bell housing, the wire dose go thru the casing, with attached pigtail and a screw, that is positioned in the proximity of the tone Ring, and it has to be unscrewed after removing the transmission.

8v71

Aug 4, 2019
Truck Year
Mopar parts online or Ebay are cheaper, Napa and Rock auto brands are cheaper still.

Here is the breakdown for the repair at my FCA dealership in Idaho when they finally got done:
1-68102345AA wheel or tone ring: $ 80.33 (Of course FCA Parts are full retail.)
1-68102341AA crankshaft sensor: $ 445.00 (Napa is only $100.00 but dealer will only warrenty what napa allows on Labor or not at all.)
Misc. charges: $ 14.00
Tax: $ 32.36
Labor: $ 735.00 (remove and install Transmission and related fluids etc.)
Total: $ 1,306.69
I hope it dosen't happen to any of you but if it dose this gives you an Idea of the cost or if you are going to doing it yourself.

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
I've heard of this breaking a few times now. Not an easy job to fix. What's the Misc charges? 2 beers to do the job?

8v71

Aug 4, 2019
Truck Year
If you notice on some repair shop repairs they add aprox. 1% Misc. to the total bill just to cover a piece of hose, bolt, nut or 2 1/2 oz's of oil, etc. if you don't see it they add it in someplace. As you say, 2 beers misc. are the same logic.

8v71

Aug 4, 2019
Truck Year
One thing i forgot about, Back in March when there was lots of snow and still cold (where I live), I had the hood up looking into what was involved in doing the PPEI tune and delete and looking at the outside of the EGR showing a small weeping external antifreeze leak and thinking *#@$$$. But then I noticed when the motor was Idling, it had an ever so slight miss, I thought I was hearing things, but never the less it was there. It started and ran down the road normally like it always had, but, it still had that very slight miss that I could only hear and notice with the hood up and at an idle. I had a new air filter, fuel filter was new and fuel was clean and the fuel always run thru a water/separator filter system on my big fuel tank. This might be a pipe dream, but is this an indication that the tone ring was about to fail? Seeing that the ring did have multiple cracks all the way around the magnetic tape. It would be interesting if any of you have noticed this????????????????????????? The miss is gone now.

8v71

Aug 4, 2019
Truck Year
I get that. Yet i would buy another one in heartbeat, It is still the nicest and best riding one out there. my dealer is surprisingly good about working with you on tunes as long as you don't go all the way. When i buy another one, and at this moment I would go with GDE (because they keep the engine protection programming in place, PPEI not so much.) 20hp upgrade as i remember (it would be a good idea to do a turbo or compound turbo upgrade to keep the engine EGT's down but its $$$$$.$$ and/ or it will smoke) or just stay with stock tune (no smoke), eliminate the EGR, Def, and DPF and install a straight exhaust, some kind of EGT monitor is a must even if it's stock. You would be surprised at how high the EGT temps get, yet they run fine. If you leave the EGR on the engine, get the intake manifold plugged and stop the antifreeze circulating thru the EGR, or at about 100,000 miles it's going to leak externally or internally. The power goes up a little and mileage will increase a solid 2.5 to 3.0 MPG and it runs cooler, and you have made a great pickup even better. You have to do the same thing to all the others makes and models one way or another. As to the crankshaft positioning sensor and tone Ring, mine failed at 120,000 miles because it has been run hard and put away wet and crap happens. I have already done the delete, but FCA just recalled and fixed all the EGR, DEF and DPF and engine issues on these pickups.

Joeco

May 28, 2019
Truck Year
Apologies if this has been asked already and I've missed the response, but for those that had the godforsaken AEM fix, isnt the crankshaft positioning sensor covered on the extended warranty? I'm asking because I got the AEM a few months back and got the stall code P0336 on Friday. Trucks dead, but I'm thinking it may be covered. Thoughts?

8v71

Aug 4, 2019
Truck Year
When I lost mine at 120,000 , a peace of tape off the tone ring hit the sensor and wrecked it. The sensor is what is really expensive, the sonic Ring is like 150.00 , your sensor may be ok. But if it's not, your in for about $450.00 from FCA. A SENSOR from NAPA is about 92.00. If you are over a 100,000 miles, unless you can find some FCA recall, your stuck. I've been there and done that.

Joeco

May 28, 2019
Truck Year
Thanks for your reply. Are you suggesting that the sensor is covered as part of the factory powertrain warranty? I've got 67k miles on my 2015 eco.