• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Dead at 8,250 miles

Kappy

Dec 30, 2017
Truck Year
Happy 4th to me! We were on our way down the road to visit with family for the holiday when I noticed that I wasn’t getting the fuel economy I was used to. I normally get around 24 MPG but was around 18. A minute or two later, the dash lit up and the engine started laboring. The last thing I saw was “low oil.”

I got the message from the dealer today. Apparently the engine completely seized up. They can’t fix it, so they’ll replace the engine... except that the engines are on backorder. They’re hoping for a few weeks?

Damn.

At least I’m still under warranty.

Can’t wait to find out the cause.

Kappy

Dec 30, 2017
Truck Year
8,250, I would guess? Unless I’m misunderstanding.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
The Cause, the same cause for the last 5 Years (QC) at Cento, Cento is a rats nests compared to Modern Day standards.

The Only survival for the ED is another Power plant, FPT or Bust.

I'm Just waiting out the DOJ case before MY ED will be owned by FCA.

jackson5

Jul 16, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
hello to all I’m new here. I’m contemplating on buying one next year to haul a camper once in a awhile. Stories like this freak me out and make me look at the 2500. I spoke to someone at a traffic light and said it was great. I’m on the fence. Perhaps the 2019 will be better engines. It’s like hit or miss. For the price of a new ED I can purchase a used 2500 with low miles. Cummins is a sure thing but you can’t beat the maneuverability and mpg of the ED. Decisions decisions.

Bgbdwlf2500

Jun 24, 2018
Truck Year
hello to all I’m new here. I’m contemplating on buying one next year to haul a camper once in a awhile. Stories like this freak me out and make me look at the 2500. I spoke to someone at a traffic light and said it was great. I’m on the fence. Perhaps the 2019 will be better engines. It’s like hit or miss. For the price of a new ED I can purchase a used 2500 with low miles. Cummins is a sure thing but you can’t beat the maneuverability and mpg of the ED. Decisions decisions.
I had figured on buying a used diesel 2500 but saw the eco and said well I dont need a 2500. I didnt think the payment would fit so I didn't research the eco at all before going to the dealer. Had I researched I probably would have gone the 2500 route. That being said I like the truck just hoping it holds together.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
If legal precedence is Applied FCA is losing the DOJ Case, My Guess Owners 2014-16 will have options Not available at present. I will be returning My ED to FCA at final determination of the case. Now way, even with the resources and the Knowledge I have its NOT worth the risk to Keep. Kinda Disappointed.

Bgbdwlf2500

Jun 24, 2018
Truck Year
If legal precedence is Applied FCA is losing the DOJ Case, My Guess Owners 2014-16 will have options Not available at present. I will be returning My ED to FCA at final determination of the case. Now way, even with the resources and the Knowledge I have its NOT worth the risk to Keep. Kinda Disappointed.
So it wont apply to the 17s?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Not sure , they met the COC at sale could be a legal dogma for 17 and 18 owners.

DWalker

Feb 26, 2018
Truck Year
Happy 4th to me! We were on our way down the road to visit with family for the holiday when I noticed that I wasn’t getting the fuel economy I was used to. I normally get around 24 MPG but was around 18. A minute or two later, the dash lit up and the engine started laboring. The last thing I saw was “low oil.”

I got the message from the dealer today. Apparently the engine completely seized up. They can’t fix it, so they’ll replace the engine... except that the engines are on backorder. They’re hoping for a few weeks?

Damn.

At least I’m still under warranty.

Can’t wait to find out the cause.

What is the manufacturer date of you truck?

MarkT

Sep 26, 2018
Truck Year
DWalker,

What is the status of the engine replacement? If your warranty engine replacement has been on backorder since early July, my replacement order was placed a few weeks ago, who knows when I will see it. Just called the dealer this morning.......same story, engine on backorder with no delivery date.

MarkT
Oregon City Oregon

Kappy

Dec 30, 2017
Truck Year
It took a month to get the engine. Actually, a month and maybe two weeks. Seven weeks before they had it installed.

It's driving fine now.

Date? I only know it's a 2017. Unsure how to check for a specific date.

MarkT

Sep 26, 2018
Truck Year
Just heard back from Dealer, a replacement engine is on its way to Oregon. They are estimating with shipping and mechanics time, it will be another 3-5 weeks before i have the truck back. Will send update when i learn the engine has made the Oregon Trail trip and is ready for install..

MarkT
Oregon City OR

Kappy

Dec 30, 2017
Truck Year
Make sure to call Chrysler corporate and complain.

I was told that the reason they took so long getting my engine was that some dumbass at UPS was holding it up. Something to do with heavy metal poisoning or some bull.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Kappy that's a new one WOW.

MarkT

Sep 26, 2018
Truck Year
The replacement engine has survived the Oregon Trail and is sitting at the dealer. Now just waiting for the mechanic to finish another engine swap before starting on mine. I saw a youtube time-lapse video about the swap, requires the removal of the cab to gain access...Looks like major process. Dealer still quoting end of October, so will be 60+ days after the engine blew up before i get it back.

Side note > bought a 2015 VW Passat TDi as short term transportation. This is my 3rd Passat, but first turbo-diesel. It only had 20K miles on it and has been "reworked" to meet EPA standards. Nice car, and can't beat 40+MPG. However have missed my truck, and will probably sell the VW when i get it back.

MarkT

Kappy

Dec 30, 2017
Truck Year
The replacement engine has survived the Oregon Trail and is sitting at the dealer. Now just waiting for the mechanic to finish another engine swap before starting on mine. I saw a youtube time-lapse video about the swap, requires the removal of the cab to gain access...Looks like major process. Dealer still quoting end of October, so will be 60+ days after the engine blew up before i get it back.

Side note > bought a 2015 VW Passat TDi as short term transportation. This is my 3rd Passat, but first turbo-diesel. It only had 20K miles on it and has been "reworked" to meet EPA standards. Nice car, and can't beat 40+MPG. However have missed my truck, and will probably sell the VW when i get it back.

MarkT
They did my swap within two days. Shouldn’t be that long. They should be rushing it.

Keep ALL your documentation on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk