• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DEF Fluid Low in 2014 Ram EcoDiesel

DieselDude

Oct 9, 2013
Hello,

My first experience of the low DEF fluid in my 2014 Ram EcoDiesel. Luckily the truck stop on the route I was traveling had it in stock and I just filled it up. BlueDEF was the brand.

defpicture.jpg

flying7

Jul 15, 2014
Truck Year
I haven't had to fill mine up yet. I'm right around 3K miles

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I would like to know more about DEF fluid. Are some better than others?
I use the blue DEF from Walmart. Others have talked about just filling it up at the big rig pump because it's cheaper. Just watch out for the DEF you buy as it has an expiration date.

CJnOC

Sep 16, 2014
Truck Year
Kinda like buying milk huh?! I didn't expect to hear that it would have an expiration date? Does it have to be stored in the fridge too? (Just kidding!)

DieselDude

Oct 9, 2013
Kinda like buying milk huh?! I didn't expect to hear that it would have an expiration date? Does it have to be stored in the fridge too? (Just kidding!)

Actually it will freeze below 12 degrees F.. no problems so far with DEF freezing for me :D

CJnOC

Sep 16, 2014
Truck Year
So what does that mean that it freezes below 12 degreees? Does that mean that it isn't used or necessary at that temperature? Or is there some kind of heater that keeps the DEF fluid from freezing? Let us know. Thanks!

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
So what does that mean that it freezes below 12 degreees? Does that mean that it isn't used or necessary at that temperature? Or is there some kind of heater that keeps the DEF fluid from freezing? Let us know. Thanks!

Yes, the DEF tank is insulated and the lines are heated to help prevent this.

It's always needed (UREA/DEF), and constantly injected into the DPF/DOC system to keep emissions in check.

SignGuy

Sep 26, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
I picked up my truck late on a Sat night and for some reason they did not fill it with DEF so the gauge is almost to the red. I swung by Wally's last night and picked up a 2.5 gal box of the Blue Def for around $13. They had "Supertech Def" 2.5 gal for $7.88 and it said OEM approved on all SCR equipped engines. Since I don't know anything about diesels I just went with the Blue Def. Does anyone know if the Supertch is good or bad or shouldn't use it for some reason? I have no clue and appreciate the help.