• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DEF system Manual Regeneration

Tom C

Jan 16, 2019
Truck Year
Not Listed
I cleared the code. When I start it I get a message to have the dealer inspect the DEF thing but no light on the check engine light?

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
At this point, it might be worth it to have the dealer check it out. I did read if you're in warranty or not.. if you are, for sure take it in and see what they say.

8v71

Aug 4, 2019
Truck Year
Crystal, when my 2015 ecodiesel was new and had less then 1000 miles on it, I took it to Minot ND where I was working and went to sleep in the Pickup and left the engine running which I had to do a lot on oil well locations, (I finally just kept a Generator in the back to run an electric heater.) it was -30 degrees, and to stay warm for obvious reasons. It was at night and was waiting for the guys to get in with the trucks. When I woke up 6 hrs later I was at a 100 percent plugged. Pickup was still running but would only go 35 mph in limp mode, Minot dealer couldn't get to it and I had to drive it to Bismark 100 miles away. The dealer did a forced regen and got it cleaned out and told me that if I every did it again it would probably plug permantly or split the DPF (don't know if that is true.) and I would be stuck with buying one. Needless to say I didn't ever do it again. As I have mostly retired, I chase parts a lot going to town about a mile away in short hops, I learned that when it shows 80% you better hurry up and get driving it a least 12 to 20 miles without stopping until it shows you have made a complete regen or your in trouble and will be in limp mode. If you are doing short hops you are always going to have to deal with the DPF issues, its the nature of the beast. My cure for it was about every 3 to 4 days do the 12 to 20 mile thing and you shouldn't have any trouble or do what I finally did and installed PPEI minimum tune (Or a Green diesel tune), and eliminate the EGR and installed a straight pipe to the muffler and eliminate the def and DPF. (That was the best thing I ever did, and it made a great pickup out of it, If I knew it would work out that good, I would of done it way earlier. It's not cheap.) If you have a -+15 mile commute your problem will be solved on its own, just beware. Having told you of my experience I live in a state where they don't really care what you do on emmissions yet and they don't check it. That is the downside to the Ecodiesel or any other modern day diesel for that matter. The local tire guys using powerstroke diesels can work on tractor or loader tires about two hours with the engine running and then they have take them for the clean out drive just like I did. If I recall, I looked up DPF and it was over $1400.00 dollars plus installation. Just my experience as to how I solved it, I'm sure there are different ideas on how to deal with this problem, but this is how I worked it out.

CyberKnight

Jul 5, 2018
Truck Year
So how do you guys no when your EcoDiesel is doing a regen? I have a 2015 that I've put just over 50K miles on and never seen any indication of a regen or DPF "xx%" message at any time. Is that normal? (doesn't sound like it is) More than half of that mileage is interstate as I pull a small travel trailer around the US several months a year. Thanks

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Your driving habits (Good) have been adequate to allow regens to complete. So No need for the % Message.

You need a tune or device to View active Regens

.Banks IQ - Copy.jpg

CyberKnight

Jul 5, 2018
Truck Year
Thanks for the info TC! That explains why I haven't seen any sign of a regen taking place on the EVIC. I suspected it was an external device that showed them but couldn't find any definite info that stated that on the forum. Best,

cicilkight

Jan 31, 2020
Truck Year
I just bought a 2015 EcoDiesel a week ago. Love it so far, but I will never understand why they don’t put a manual regen button in diesel pickups. I drive fire apparatus. We have a 2017 engine that has a DPF (also ridiculous, emergency vehicles should be exempt from DPF requirements). If the DPF becomes clogged up (which happens, as most of out trips are less than 3 miles, then the rig idles for anywhere from 10 minutes to several hours, then less than 3 miles back), we can pull the rig outside, hit a button, and it kicks into manual regen mode. Manual regen ramps up the RPMs to increase the engine temp to around 1,200° to burn off the soot and clean the DPF. I don’t understand why this isn’t an option in pickups. There should be no reason to have to take the truck to dealer to have it regened. Sorry for the random rant, but I found this thread while looking up things about my truck and it truly baffles me.

John

Nov 13, 2015
I just bought a 2015 EcoDiesel a week ago. Love it so far, but I will never understand why they don’t put a manual regen button in diesel pickups. I drive fire apparatus. We have a 2017 engine that has a DPF (also ridiculous, emergency vehicles should be exempt from DPF requirements). If the DPF becomes clogged up (which happens, as most of out trips are less than 3 miles, then the rig idles for anywhere from 10 minutes to several hours, then less than 3 miles back), we can pull the rig outside, hit a button, and it kicks into manual regen mode. Manual regen ramps up the RPMs to increase the engine temp to around 1,200° to burn off the soot and clean the DPF. I don’t understand why this isn’t an option in pickups. There should be no reason to have to take the truck to dealer to have it regened. Sorry for the random rant, but I found this thread while looking up things about my truck and it truly baffles me.
It would make dense for some who only drive short trips.

There is an aftermarket option that can force a stationary regen. Check out AlphOBD. it's 50 dollars.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
ciclkight, if Makers added the manual Stationary Regen you would also need the WARNING message on the danger of Stationary De-sooting. This Current Generation is FUBAR, That would dirty the environment and require effort, and waste fuel.

ciclkight, the OIL PSI is already L-O-M.

Why NOT add the DPF % also gage?, This Generation is educate on what to think , NOT How to think. Your Asking for Just to Much effort that would effect sales #s.

cicilkight

Jan 31, 2020
Truck Year
It would make dense for some who only drive short trips.

There is an aftermarket option that can force a stationary regen. Check out AlphOBD. it's 50 dollars.
Was actually going to post that I found a nice work around from BD Diesel. A bit more than the AlphaOBD, but it gives you a high idle option in the truck, no phone or app required.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Was actually going to post that I found a nice work around from BD Diesel. A bit more than the AlphaOBD, but it gives you a high idle option in the truck, no phone or app required.

The problem is that high idle alone will not regen once the DPF reaches 100% soot level.

cicilkight

Jan 31, 2020
Truck Year
ciclkight, if Makers added the manual Stationary Regen you would also need the WARNING message on the danger of Stationary De-sooting. This Current Generation is FUBAR, That would dirty the environment and require effort, and waste fuel.

Why NOT add the DPF % also gage?, This Generation is educate on what to think , NOT How to think. Your Asking for Just to Much effort that would effect sales #s.
Considering I’m part of the current generation, I really don’t think it’s too much effort. In fact, everyone I know would be more than capable of understanding the need for stationary regen, because we’re more than capable of thinking for ourselves. Maybe stop blaming all the world’s problems on younger generations and grow up?

cicilkight

Jan 31, 2020
Truck Year
The problem is that high idle alone will not regen once the DPF reaches 100% soot level.
I didn’t know that, although I would argue that, in almost every scenario I can think of, if someone is letting it get to 100%, they probably shouldn’t be driving a diesel, because they obviously don’t understand them.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Considering I’m part of the current generation, I really don’t think it’s too much effort. In fact, everyone I know would be more than capable of understanding the need for stationary regen, because we’re more than capable of thinking for ourselves. Maybe stop blaming all the world’s problems on younger generations and grow up?

Fact... You blame Me ,shows why they don't. Since You wanted an answer here it is, I don't reason on feeling(s) and don't get Butt hurt over comments that Humans make telling Me to grow up. First you have to Matter to Matter.

cicilkight You may be the exception. Fact manufacture's DON'T spend $$$$$$$ on exceptions.

Fact, Every vehicle that came into the Shop for repairs, The Shop checks the Oil, The Maple Grove MN Shop, 47% of the vehicles oil level was below the full line, 23% were just above the add line or at the line. 12% below add line.

Owners that came in for LOF 60% Below fill line 20% NO oil on stick.

Back early in 2011 Fords 6.7 would Regen at Idle, One Owner started his truck in Garage answer cell phone, went back into house X time later went back to Garage found his plastic rack had collapsed on his truck, The heat from the exhaust melted the legs.

cicilkight

Jan 31, 2020
Truck Year
Fact... You blame Me ,shows why they don't. Since You wanted an answer here it is, I don't reason on feeling(s) and don't get Butt hurt over comments that Humans make telling Me to grow up. First you have to Matter to Matter.

cicilkight You may be the exception. Fact manufacture's DON'T spend $$$$$$$ on exceptions.

Fact, Every vehicle that came into the Shop for repairs, The Shop checks the Oil, The Maple Grove MN Shop, 47% of the vehicles oil level was below the full line, 23% were just above the add line or at the line. 12% below add line.

Owners that came in for LOF 60% Below fill line 20% NO oil on stick.

Back early in 2011 Fords 6.7 would Regen at Idle, One Owner started his truck in Garage answer cell phone, went back into house X time later went back to Garage found his plastic rack had collapsed on his truck, The heat from the exhaust melted the legs.
I didn’t blame anyone. I said don’t blame us. What facts are there? You’re blaming the “current generation” for something when there’s literally no evidence to back you up. In fact, evidence would indicate the opposite. The average age of a new truck purchaser is over 50 for the 5 most popular brands, and the average age of a used truck purchaser is almost 44. It seems to me the FACTS would indicate the issue is with the older generation, not the newer generation. You have to matter to matter? Well, obviously it matters that the older generation doesn’t know how to take care of their trucks, since they’re the primary demographic.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year

hmmmmm

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
WOW, Active regens have only been Available in America Starting in 2007 on trucks and some Cars dating back to 2004 I think, Someone correct if I'm wrong
Yep. The entire Educational system in N/A is what to think IMO, Of Course its NOT everyone That owns a Ecodiesel.

Hmmmm, If Owners are not willing to put forth the effort to CHECK OIL , Lack of Lube is directly relate to complete engine failure and only Needs to Be... WHAT.... check Weekly , Monthly? Only a handful of owners would even look AT the message, By the WAY it does display to drive until completed ! and YET theirs's weekly posting of See Dealer. Greater Majority, the Numbers are what sells, and if you want to know when Regens are happening you can Buy the Needed Technology.

Yes I would like to see it from EVIC when its in Regen, But its NOT, So I spent the $$$ to get what I wanted.

Since I'm still breathing I am Part of this Generation. I see why Makers have left out the Software, Their stand is Valid , AND MOST of all I don't expect or demand something I can easily overcome with some $$$ and effort.

Really! is What TC says that important? and view it as hateful/harmful?

My posts are Not for everyone and the ignore button is available, You are welcome to use it, Or stay in the game, generally heated debates end in meaningful info even on differences.

I don't ignore Members on disagreements, and I don't force Choice's. Or View others extreme views as valueless, and willing to stand corrected when it merits correction.

HoustonEcoDiesel

Dec 9, 2020
Truck Year
So big question as I haven’t seen a regen message in 7 months. If I’m driving long distances often, I won’t know if it’s doing a regen unless it reaches too high of a percentage full?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
So big question as I haven’t seen a regen message in 7 months. If I’m driving long distances often, I won’t know if it’s doing a regen unless it reaches too high of a percentage full?

Correct, I advice if you see the message to continue to drive do So, until it counts down and the message disappears.