• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Diesel knocking when engine is cold?

Theo Breimer

Mar 11, 2019
Truck Year
Hi folks I have a 2017 Eco-Diesel that's GDE tuned and runs great, but I just have one concern - it has a fairly loud tick or knock when cold, which gradually quiets down and when it's warm it doesn't sound abnormal - actually pretty quiet for a diesel. I've never had a diesel before - Is it normal for them to run noisy like this when cold? I still have some warranty coverage on the drivetrain as I'm at 61,000 Km so if this is abnormal I should get it checked out before the warranty runs out, but I don't want the dealership touching it if it isn't necessary as I'm afraid they may flash the ECU and I'll lose my tune..... Also I just changed the oil and had an analysis of the old oil done by Wearcheck - they said everything was normal - "Metal levels are typical for a new component breaking in". Any thoughts?

Bookmaker

Nov 23, 2019
Truck Year
It is normal for diesels to be noisy when cold. They quiet down as they warm up.

Roland

Mar 29, 2016
Truck Year
I live in the great white North. My 2016 eco on the first winter after GDE tune sounds more noisy than stock tune when cold. Quiets down after it is at running temp. That's normal

EcoDieselDave

Oct 2, 2020
Truck Year
Hi folks I have a 2017 Eco-Diesel that's GDE tuned and runs great, but I just have one concern - it has a fairly loud tick or knock when cold, which gradually quiets down and when it's warm it doesn't sound abnormal - actually pretty quiet for a diesel. I've never had a diesel before - Is it normal for them to run noisy like this when cold? I still have some warranty coverage on the drivetrain as I'm at 61,000 Km so if this is abnormal I should get it checked out before the warranty runs out, but I don't want the dealership touching it if it isn't necessary as I'm afraid they may flash the ECU and I'll lose my tune..... Also I just changed the oil and had an analysis of the old oil done by Wearcheck - they said everything was normal - "Metal levels are typical for a new component breaking in". Any thoughts?
I have the same loud knocking only when cold the first minute or two with my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel. I hope that is normal. I don't remember it doing that when it was lower mileage. I have 98,400 miles on it.