• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Diesel Preheat in Progress - Bad glow plug cylinder 3

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Mine was the same way, it would come on almost 2 weeks apart. But I don’t daily my truck, I think when it regens they come on but idk. Tc may be of more help

Ffeggleston

Mar 26, 2020
Truck Year
Well changed the module , took about 20 minutes. Everything sounds good.
Spoke to soon !!! She’s back. Looks like number 3 glow plug will be tackled this weekend. Just to confirm this is the one closest to the firewall on passenger side?

Mario Arredondo

Apr 10, 2020
Truck Year
Update to my first post. I’ll have the new plug tomorrow and will be installing sometime over the weekend. For others looking for information regarding the cylinder order, it is 123 passenger side, 456 driver side starting from the grille to firewall. I’m considering doing a how to step by step video to help others looking to tackle this in the future. If someone has a link to an existing video, let me know and I’ll reference on this thread.
That’s a hell of a job you have to take the intake manifold to get to glow plugs I was told by a diesel tech if your going to do this you may as well replace all the glow plugs on that side while your at it then you have to get gasket kit for intake he said it was about a 4 to 6 hr job depending on experience

Ffeggleston

Mar 26, 2020
Truck Year
That’s a hell of a job you have to take the intake manifold to get to glow plugs I was told by a diesel tech if your going to do this you may as well replace all the glow plugs on that side while your at it then you have to get gasket kit for intake he said it was about a 4 to 6 hr job depending on experience
hmmm my diesel tech quoted 1hr with no mention of taking intake manifold off.

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
hmmm my diesel tech quoted 1hr with no mention of taking intake manifold off.
Dealer told me 30-1hr depending on if it was seized. Then quoted 8k for a new head lol took to a diesel tech after I broke it off he had old one out and new one in all in an hour.

Ffeggleston

Mar 26, 2020
Truck Year
Replaced the glow plug yesterday and it went smoothly. I drove the truck about a half hour each way to/from the dealer to get the part so the engine was hot when I removed it. Here’s a quick step by step of what I did:

- Disconnect MAF senor, remove air box & air intake tube up to the 90 degree boot to the turbo
-removed the EGR Diffuser Tube to get a little more room to work (not really necessary but I would recommend)
-pull up on the small ‘t’ shaped plastic handle of the electrical connection to the glow plug. Might have to wiggle/twist as you pull but it should pop right off.
-spray some PB blaster, use a 6pt 1/4” drive socket and small 1/4” ratchet with a short extension (so you don’t use too much torque). Mine broke loose easily but started to get harder to turn after a couple if turns out. I just kept spraying PB and would go in and out a lil further each time. Probably took 20 mins of screwing in and out / waiting each time I sprayed PB for it to soak in.

New one went in just fine. Problem fixed!
so question, I don't understand how your able to get a 1/4 socket on this thing or past the actually head down to the nut. On the one in my hand it seems as though a 5/16 deep socket attached to a 1/4 rachet is the only way. Did they maybe change the design / size of the plugs ?

I've sprayed down and have slowly slowing trying to turn this thing, but I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere or even grabbing the nut tried both sockets

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
I think I used a deep well 8mm for mine. Try to put a mark on the top, put your socket setup on it and try to turn it a quarter turn then see if your mark moved. If it moved it’s loose or broken. If your mark stays your not turning it. It’s a bitch of a job.

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
so question, I don't understand how your able to get a 1/4 socket on this thing or past the actually head down to the nut. On the one in my hand it seems as though a 5/16 deep socket attached to a 1/4 rachet is the only way. Did they maybe change the design / size of the plugs ?

I've sprayed down and have slowly slowing trying to turn this thing, but I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere or even grabbing the nut tried both sockets
I think guys were referring to the small 1/4 drive 8mm socket just because of size so you can get at it, AND so you dont get as much leverage and bust the plug, if that's what you couldn't understand. Good luck, and patience!

Ffeggleston

Mar 26, 2020
Truck Year
I think guys were referring to the small 1/4 drive 8mm socket just because of size so you can get at it, AND so you dont get as much leverage and bust the plug, if that's what you couldn't understand. Good luck, and patience!
8mm seems, More of a fit. 1/4 wasn’t even. Getting over the electrical portion.

Scooteryeti

Apr 25, 2020
Truck Year
I'm going through this same thing.
I changed the controller and tried to ohm out the glow plug. Some times I get 0.7 ohms to 0.5 ohms on # 2 and #3 if they are both on the same side? Anyway I have to order he plug. I did take some pictures.
It was nice of Ram to put a fuel rail line right over the plugs. I'm glad the wires have pull tabs20200425_150107.jpg20200425_145948.jpg

Attachments

• 20200425_150107.jpg
    20200425_150107.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 20

Synergy26

Dec 14, 2022
Truck Year
I am having to same codes

P06bb and P0673 on my 2020 ram 1500 #3. Did replacing the #3 glow plug fix the prob longe term? Or is there a way to test the controller?​

Synergy26

Dec 14, 2022
Truck Year
I replaced glow plug #3 and it fixed the problem. The truck runs better than it ever has. Makes me wonder if it has always had this issue but didn't throw a code until recently