• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Diesel Preheat in Progress - Bad glow plug cylinder 3

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
They do make a tool to remove this issue. Not sure where your located but I had the same issue on mine. My #4 spun out when I was removing it. The design allows the inner glow plug to be removed allowing the sleeve and body to remain together. What the tool does is remove that inner plug and ceramic, and centers the drill bit so you can essentially use an easy out to back out the remainder of the old plug. Call another shop, there is a way without pulling the head. Dealer quoted me 8k to pull head and replace so I feel ya loll
could you please post the info about the tool - maybe who makes it and a picture? thanks!

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year

Attachments

• 2CF142F2-7694-4BCC-831B-81412DBC1A8F.png
    2CF142F2-7694-4BCC-831B-81412DBC1A8F.png
    547.8 KB · Views: 21
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

kevinfeco

Mar 25, 2019
Truck Year
OK, I put the glow plug back in. the circuit to the number 2 cylinder checks out. I'm guessing it must be the controller. Will order one and replace and see if that fixes the problem. Will reply back with the results.
OK Guys, after checking all the circuits, removing the glow plug, testing it and the circuit for proper resistance and having everything check out, I surmised it was the glow plug controller. (Part number 68149041AB).

I pulled and replaced, as I wasn't sure how I could check the relay since it gets a signal from the ECM when operating. By the way, the control module is mounted near the fire wall on the passenger side, right in front of the ECM on a small bracket.

I spent about $100 to get it quickly. After I replaced, I cleared the codes and have driven it about 25 miles with a few starts / stops and no CE light or codes. I'm cautiously optimistic that it's fixed.

So, my recommendation is that before you start pulling glow plugs and replacing parts, check the circuits and plugs for proper resistance (or lack thereof) and make sure you are drilling down to the most likely culprit. I have a feeling that had I just replaced the glow plug, I would have spent and extra $30-$50 for nothing. Hope this helps everyone out.

Coders2

Aug 1, 2019
Truck Year
OK Guys, after checking all the circuits, removing the glow plug, testing it and the circuit for proper resistance and having everything check out, I surmised it was the glow plug controller. (Part number 68149041AB).

I pulled and replaced, as I wasn't sure how I could check the relay since it gets a signal from the ECM when operating. By the way, the control module is mounted near the fire wall on the passenger side, right in front of the ECM on a small bracket.

I spent about $100 to get it quickly. After I replaced, I cleared the codes and have driven it about 25 miles with a few starts / stops and no CE light or codes. I'm cautiously optimistic that it's fixed.

So, my recommendation is that before you start pulling glow plugs and replacing parts, check the circuits and plugs for proper resistance (or lack thereof) and make sure you are drilling down to the most likely culprit. I have a feeling that had I just replaced the glow plug, I would have spent and extra $30-$50 for nothing. Hope this helps everyone out.
Is there a way to test the glow plugs controller? I have a CEL stating that cylinder 5 glow plug circuit range/performance.

My guess is that I need to replace glow plug#5 but now I'm wondering if it's the controller..

cs in Alabama

Feb 21, 2019
Truck Year
Clean the connector attaching to the glow plug first and see if it corrects the problem

If not, I would replace the glow plug control module before trying to pull a glow plug. Its about 85 dollars at Moparpartsgiant.com to replace the module. I would always replace it before replacing a glow plug, just because it is so much more likely to fail than a plug. The glow plugs rarely fail and the risk of breaking it in the engine is too high.

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
So here is a question for you folks who live in colder climates.
How long does it take for your truck to start after you turn the key on.
I live in western WA., pretty mild climate so my truck starts in a few seconds. No block heater needed
I live in canada, it can get really cold in the winter, I use the block heater all the time, keeps the coolant at around 80-86F (which is what the temp reads when I start it). Even if I don't plug it in, it starts fine, just sounds like crap if it's really cold and takes time warming up. I just got GDE high idle so I'm looking forward to seeing if that helps warm it up faster.

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
could you please post the info about the tool - maybe who makes it and a picture? thanks!
do a google search "glow plug removal tool", I saw some on amazon too, for under $100, just not sure how good they are.

Coders2

Aug 1, 2019
Truck Year
Clean the connector attaching to the glow plug first and see if it corrects the problem

If not, I would replace the glow plug control module before trying to pull a glow plug. Its about 85 dollars at Moparpartsgiant.com to replace the module. I would always replace it before replacing a glow plug, just because it is so much more likely to fail than a plug. The glow plugs rarely fail and the risk of breaking it in the engine is too high.

I haven't been able to take a look yet. Is the module on the pass or driver side?

Jon.Silverson

Aug 12, 2019
Truck Year
Good morning everyone! New to the forum but I have been reading for a while. I have a 2015 Ecodiesel that's been throwing the P06bb trouble code pretty much since I installed a GDE hot tune. Would it be reasonable to think that I just knocked something loose during the install? I did have to disconnect the glow plug control module as part of the GDE install.

Wasaab

Jul 26, 2019
Truck Year
Just found this video on how to remove the broken glow plug. Maybe it might prove handy.

thunderstrike44

Aug 4, 2019
Truck Year
How Long are the Glow Plugs suppose to last in these engines, I have heard anything from 100K to 200K or 5000 Hrs on other diesel engines?

CarloA

Oct 10, 2019
Truck Year
Hey anyone know if there is a way to trick the sensor into thinking #3 is in ? Cause pops broke it trying to get it out and no way after doing the EGR delete, I'm taking the engine or block out.

Last edited:

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
hooh a new glow plug 2 the wire and ground it then start it if the glow plug controller is good it will start

whitey

Dec 25, 2018
Truck Year
Hi TC
Will this glow plug part part number you mentioned early still work?
Bosch OEM Glow Plugs 0250403008
I'm confused

whitey

Dec 25, 2018
Truck Year