• The official site for FCA settlement information and questions is located at https://www.ecodieselsettlement.com/
  • Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Does anyone know of the Z46 recall and when a fix is coming from Ram 2015 ecodiesel ?

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
My truck just got the new high pressure fuel pump installed via recall on July 7th. The truck was at the dealer for the airbag recall and they told me there are no parts as of yet for the fuel pump recall on July 5th. Then July 6th they called and said they just received the new part. Installed it on the 7th. In fact, I was told they didn’t even have billing instructions for the dealership yet for the recall work on the pump. Look for your dealerships to start receiving the parts.
That's good news. Does the new pump look like a CP3 or something new?
For reference here's a picture of my 2020 3500 HO CP3
CP3.3 - 01.jpg

Cbelt

May 3, 2022
Truck Year
Regarding the Z46 recall (High-Pressure Diesel Fuel Pump), it has been an open recall for almost a year now and RAM has not developed a solution as of June 2023. I'm concerned, as all owners are, that if the HDFP fails how does it get repaired and are additional repairs that are required by the failure covered by RAM? Because of this concern, I checked with local dealers for the availability of the recalled fuel pump and found one in stock. I reserved the pump and scheduled my recall visit. All went well until they found out that the fuel pump was not authorized to be used for the recall by RAM. Multiple calls and e-mails to Chrysler did nothing to resolve this, as the manufacturer stood by that a solution has not been developed for this recall. Apparently, the replacement fuel pumps that are being sold through RAM dealers is the same pump that is under the Z46 recall. Why would a manufacturer sell a part with a known defect that has been recalled? They have known about this issue for a year and have yet to design a reliable pump and continue to sell a known faulty pump.
Also, in general, what is the manufacturer's responsibility for incidental damage caused by a recall issue that they fail to remedy?

2015 RAM 1500 ECO, 155K miles, totally stock
My dealer (mechanic) said they are going to use the same pump that the Cummins uses. Don’t know if this is true?

Fixinater

May 13, 2019
Truck Year
I have a 2014 eco with 108k, fuel pump is quiet and no issues but I put in about 4 oz of Marvel history oil about one a month. Keeps the pump lubed. I've got a friend with the same year eco, his pump was making noise and while driving from the mountains to Charleston, SC his pump died leaving him stranded on the big bridge. Ram covered it under warranty. Makes me wonder why the manufacturer has not addressed this issue as they sent out letters noting they had a problem. If mine fails it will get towed to the nearest dealer for replacement. Likely will piss me off.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I have a 2014 eco with 108k, fuel pump is quiet and no issues but I put in about 4 oz of Marvel history oil about one a month. Keeps the pump lubed. I've got a friend with the same year eco, his pump was making noise and while driving from the mountains to Charleston, SC his pump died leaving him stranded on the big bridge. Ram covered it under warranty. Makes me wonder why the manufacturer has not addressed this issue as they sent out letters noting they had a problem. If mine fails it will get towed to the nearest dealer for replacement. Likely will piss me off.
The manufacturer has addressed this issue as they sent out a recall. The Ecodiesel CP4 HPFP failure rate is very low and has not been an issue. The Ecodiesel recall (Z46) came because the same pump was used in the HD trucks, where it was a big issue. Because the HDs CP4 pump became a safety issue, so did the Ecodiesel CP4.

Cbelt

May 3, 2022
Truck Year
The manufacturer has addressed this issue as they sent out a recall. The Ecodiesel CP4 HPFP failure rate is very low and has not been an issue. The Ecodiesel recall (Z46) came because the same pump was used in the HD trucks, where it was a big issue. Because the HDs CP4 pump became a safety issue, so did the Ecodiesel CP4.
My dealer told me they are replacing the eco-diesel fuel pump with the same pump used in the larger engine. He said the pumps are not available yet.

JLongwood

Sep 7, 2023
Truck Year
The pump in the Eco is definitely a problem. Mine is associated with the Z46 recall. My truck has only been drivable 8 out of the past 92 days. It’s been to the dealer twice. It’s currently been parked at my house the past 34 days. First go round at the dealer they blamed a WIX fuel filter and charged me $1,346 out of pocket saying it wasn’t covered under warranty since it didn’t have an OEM filter. Can’t really argue much there. But, less than 24 hours after I had it back the same thing happened. Truck shut off going down the highway. Hesitated to start. Let it cool off and it finally started. I was three miles from the dealer. Called the dealer and they said to see if it will make it, if not, we’ll send a tow truck. Took two intervals to make it those 3 miles. Dealer got approval from Dodge to replace my HPFP with a new , but still recalled HPFP (this took 5 weeks and was only given a courtesy truck for 3 weeks at the tail end after practically having to beg for one). 7 days later the new HPFP failed. Opened a claim with FCA/Dodge and was told not to take it to the dealer. This was 30 plus days ago. I’ve since been paying out of pocket for rentals. Suppose to be getting reimbursed for rentals as well as the first repair. Haven’t seen a dime yet. My case manager is useless. Doesn’t answer or return my calls and has been taking about 8 days to respond to emails. Avoids any questions I ask and only acknowledges she has received my receipts for reimbursement. Hope nobody else is dealing with this because it’s a nightmare. Haven’t been given any timeline on a remedy or solution. I’m out of a drivable vehicle with an open claim and just as lost on the solution as John and Steve. Any advice on what I should do? I’ve hit the $10K mark on out of pocket expenses. I’ll let you know if I get any updates. 3 months and so far this situation is regressing.
I'm in a similar situation and feel your pain. I just joined the group to hopefully get some insight on this issue. My 2015 Ram (88k miles) lost power on the highway. I was able to creep home and then got it towed to the dealer the next day. The code (P0191) showed a fuel rail pressure sensor. The dealership pulled the fuel filter, and it was full of debris/metal filings. They stated that it was due to "contaminated fuel" and wouldn't be covered. I laughed, as they didn't investigate beyond the fuel filter (which I recently replaced at ~80k miles) and proceeded to quote me $21k to replace the fuel system (or $21k to replace the engine). They will say anything to avoid acknowledging the elephant in the room, which is the domino effect that the HPFP can have on the entire system. I've submitted a claim with FCA, however based on my experience with the previous settlement claims process, I have little hope. To my surprise, the FCA person on the phone actually acknowledged that the HPFP can cause debris in the fuel, but they don't currently have a fix, nor did the person know what the next steps would be. All she could do is elevate up the FCA chain (eyeroll).

Anyways, do you have any updates to share on this?

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I'm in a similar situation and feel your pain. I just joined the group to hopefully get some insight on this issue. My 2015 Ram (88k miles) lost power on the highway. I was able to creep home and then got it towed to the dealer the next day. The code (P0191) showed a fuel rail pressure sensor. The dealership pulled the fuel filter, and it was full of debris/metal filings. They stated that it was due to "contaminated fuel" and wouldn't be covered. I laughed, as they didn't investigate beyond the fuel filter (which I recently replaced at ~80k miles) and proceeded to quote me $21k to replace the fuel system (or $21k to replace the engine). They will say anything to avoid acknowledging the elephant in the room, which is the domino effect that the HPFP can have on the entire system. I've submitted a claim with FCA, however based on my experience with the previous settlement claims process, I have little hope. To my surprise, the FCA person on the phone actually acknowledged that the HPFP can cause debris in the fuel, but they don't currently have a fix, nor did the person know what the next steps would be. All she could do is elevate up the FCA chain (eyeroll).

Anyways, do you have any updates to share on this?
Bummer. Sounds like the person you dealt with has no knowledge of the product she represents. You have a classic case of an HPFP failure for which there is the Z46 recall. And the lack of the new pump they are supposed to replace temporarily your CP4 with another CP4. All for free. And, it's a safety recall, if your truck is registered they cannot refuse it for any reason. Her Service Manager should know all of that.

Good luck!

JLongwood

Sep 7, 2023
Truck Year
Bummer. Sounds like the person you dealt with has no knowledge of the product she represents. You have a classic case of an HPFP failure for which there is the Z46 recall. And the lack of the new pump they are supposed to replace temporarily your CP4 with another CP4. All for free. And, it's a safety recall, if your truck is registered they cannot refuse it for any reason. Her Service Manager should know all of that.

Good luck!
John, thanks for your response. The dealership is claiming that they found "rust" in the fuel system, which they are attributing to contaminated fuel and not the HPFP. Apparently, once they find "rust" it voids the replacement under the recall. I'm baffled by this. The pictures of the fuel show more than just "rust." I asked them how they can say with 100% certainty that the debris and "rust" isn't from the faulty HPFP (especially since the recall is over a year old and the truck 8 yo; plenty of time for metal fragments to oxidize) and their answer was "we do this all the time."

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
John, thanks for your response. The dealership is claiming that they found "rust" in the fuel system, which they are attributing to contaminated fuel and not the HPFP. Apparently, once they find "rust" it voids the replacement under the recall. I'm baffled by this. The pictures of the fuel show more than just "rust." I asked them how they can say with 100% certainty that the debris and "rust" isn't from the faulty HPFP (especially since the recall is over a year old and the truck 8 yo; plenty of time for metal fragments to oxidize) and their answer was "we do this all the time."
Yeah, they do it all the time - deny warranty is what they do all the time. If it's only rust I can understand their position, but not certain rust would cause the pump to fail. If there's more than rust, especially metal shavings you should still file a claim. They'll probably come back with the rust caused the failure that created the metal shavings. Still. I think a claim is in order. You should get a sample as well.

I'm no expert, just my opinion. I'm going through a warranty denial for a different problem so I know how you must feel.

Jts

Sep 28, 2023
Truck Year
My dealer (mechanic) said they are going to use the same pump that the Cummins uses. Don’t know if this is true?
I had no idea about the recall, I bought my truck 2 weeks ago. A week and a half in had to have it towed. Day before had check engine light checked that came on it was the fuel pump. Found recall, called dealership, towed it there only to find out that there is no fix. They said there are shavings all through fuel system. Now I'm stuck with a truck making payments and no solution.

Supermod94

Oct 6, 2023
Truck Year
Finally I find a thread that is about what I have been going through for 8 months now. Hpfp failed dealership replaced it 4 times only to fail each time even the recall pump failed immediately after rebuild. Now they say there is metal throughout the whole fuel system and everything needs to be replaced but stelatis has not released a final recal remedy and replacement parts list. I'm truly at a loss for words with stelatis and ram customer care with this whole situation. Wouldn't wish this junk on my worst enemy thousands of dollars and no truck...

MXZ0588

Mar 24, 2020
Truck Year
I doubt it was Rust. Just changed my fuel filter on my 17' yesterday and all sorts of aluminum shavings in the bottom from the CP4. Quick verification with a clean magnet proves this when none of it is picked up by the magnet. Wonder if your dealer did that. Anyone been able to get the new pump out of there dealer? They are out there along with a procedure for the Wrangler and Gladiator Eco's. Same pump and motor. what's the hold up.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2023/RCRIT-23V263-6622.pdf

Attachments

• fuel filter housing.jpg
    fuel filter housing.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 10

Paulpyro

Aug 3, 2023
Truck Year
Does anyone know of the Z46 recall and when a fix is coming from Ram 2015 ecodiesel ?
My service manager found no "fix" for the recall. I asked what would the manufacturer do if the pump failed & destroyed my engine... He said (and I quote) " Everything would be covered. If that means the whole engine then, that's what would be replaced. Free of charge.""

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Finally I find a thread that is about what I have been going through for 8 months now. Hpfp failed dealership replaced it 4 times only to fail each time even the recall pump failed immediately after rebuild. Now they say there is metal throughout the whole fuel system and everything needs to be replaced but stelatis has not released a final recal remedy and replacement parts list. I'm truly at a loss for words with stelatis and ram customer care with this whole situation. Wouldn't wish this junk on my worst enemy thousands of dollars and no truck...
4 failures does indicate a pump failure, I would say it is a dealer failure!

Willy2023

Nov 14, 2023
Truck Year
I called FCA Customer Care last week about the fuel pump recall. I have been on a list since last year. I was told that a fix would be available in January 2024. I will go talk with the Service Manager at my Ram Jeep dealer next week and get an update. I haven’t had any issues with my 2015 Ram Eco Diesel with 63k miles yet.

Francesco

Nov 2, 2023
Truck Year
Glad to hear your problems are solved. Hoping your sale goes well.

There's no class action suit because the Eco HPFP failure rate is so low there's no fault. And because there is a recall to replace the HPFP there's nothing to sue about.

One last reminder, it is a Ram, not a Dodge.
No class action lawsuit because of the recall???? No parts available so they are just using language to cover their butts. What ever happened to due diligence?

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
No parts available so they are just using language to cover their butts.
Not sure how you came to that conclusion.
They announced a recall to replace the pump that does not have a high failure rate in the Ecodiesel. They had to decide what to replace it with and get it designed and manufactured. The part is now available. You'll just have to wait your turn.

JLongwood

Sep 7, 2023
Truck Year
For those of you dealing with HPFP issues and wanting more info on the recall, here is some info based on what I've been dealing with for the past several months. Contrary to some of the comments in this thread, more and more of HPFP failure cases are mounting and there is NO permanent fix. A class action lawsuit has been filed (Fielding v. FCA US LLC., 2:23-cv-10691), however it has not been settled or certified to formally proceed as a class action at this time (these things can drag on for years, and usually end in settlement). Here is a good article covering the status of that lawsuit:

That said, what can we do? I was advised to first file a claim with NHTSA. You can (and should) do that here: https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#vehicle

The more cases get reported to NHTSA, the more likely action will be taken. NHTSA absolutely knows about this issue, but they can only go off the data that is reported, so if you're dealing with this issue, please file a complaint!

Here is a reduced outline of my situation:
- My 2015 RAM 1500 with 88k miles breaks down at 70 mph back in August. Get it towed to dealership.
- Two weeks later, dealership claims the issue was "fuel contamination" b/c of a dirty fuel filter with debris and "rust" in housing and quote me $21k to repair.
- I requested additional info, including a fuel test, but they refused and placed a "restriction" on my vehicle.
- I filed a claim with FCA/Stalantis. Went through 4 claims "managers" and got nowhere, apparently b/c of the "restriction."
- I then filed an insurance claim. They did an independent investigation, including collecting a fuel sample from the truck, interviewing the dealership, running vehicle history, and investigating last fuel station I filled up at. They ultimately determined it was NOT fuel contamination and pointed at the HPFP recall.
- I've consulted legal advice (in progress) and filed a complaint with NHTSA.
- At this point I'm in limbo and trying to decide on my next course of action.

If you're going through this, I feel your pain! Stay persistent and exhaust all options you can. EcoDiesel owners have been through too much (I believe I'm on my 18th recall) over the years for this not to be rectified.

Good luck!

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
For those of you dealing with HPFP issues and wanting more info on the recall, here is some info based on what I've been dealing with for the past several months. Contrary to some of the comments in this thread, more and more of HPFP failure cases are mounting and there is NO permanent fix. A class action lawsuit has been filed (Fielding v. FCA US LLC., 2:23-cv-10691), however it has not been settled or certified to formally proceed as a class action at this time (these things can drag on for years, and usually end in settlement). Here is a good article covering the status of that lawsuit:

That said, what can we do? I was advised to first file a claim with NHTSA. You can (and should) do that here: https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#vehicle

The more cases get reported to NHTSA, the more likely action will be taken. NHTSA absolutely knows about this issue, but they can only go off the data that is reported, so if you're dealing with this issue, please file a complaint!

Here is a reduced outline of my situation:
- My 2015 RAM 1500 with 88k miles breaks down at 70 mph back in August. Get it towed to dealership.
- Two weeks later, dealership claims the issue was "fuel contamination" b/c of a dirty fuel filter with debris and "rust" in housing and quote me $21k to repair.
- I requested additional info, including a fuel test, but they refused and placed a "restriction" on my vehicle.
- I filed a claim with FCA/Stalantis. Went through 4 claims "managers" and got nowhere, apparently b/c of the "restriction."
- I then filed an insurance claim. They did an independent investigation, including collecting a fuel sample from the truck, interviewing the dealership, running vehicle history, and investigating last fuel station I filled up at. They ultimately determined it was NOT fuel contamination and pointed at the HPFP recall.
- I've consulted legal advice (in progress) and filed a complaint with NHTSA.
- At this point I'm in limbo and trying to decide on my next course of action.

If you're going through this, I feel your pain! Stay persistent and exhaust all options you can. EcoDiesel owners have been through too much (I believe I'm on my 18th recall) over the years for this not to be rectified.

Good luck!
Well keep up posted on your progress! Thanks for the well written outline!