• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DPF and Frequent Passive Regeneration Cycles

Capri2200

Feb 25, 2015
Truck Year
I've noticed recently that the DPF seems to fill quickly causing the truck to go into a passive regeneration cycle. No rhyme or reason, but after completing its last cycle, the soot level in the DPF was around 9% according to my Edge Insight Monitoring system. Started her up the next morning only to find that the truck was now at 45% leading to another passive regeneration cycle only 34 miles after the previous one. This is not a scanner issue. It seems that either the DPF is having difficulty cleaning itself out, and/or the sensors are malfunctioning, and/or the ECU needs to be reprogrammed.
I am scheduling my truck for service this week. There is a service bulletin to replace O2 sensors (not sure which ones yet) and update the software in the ECU. I will report back to let everyone know if this helps.

Capri2200

Feb 25, 2015
Truck Year
Going In for service on Thursday. Regens seem to be happening randomly now and the soot % jumps all over the place on my CTS. This is very strange behavior. If I were a betting man, I would have to say that there is a sensor somewhere that is acting up. More to come....

Capri2200

Feb 25, 2015
Truck Year
Dealer flashed the computer. One update was for a DEF issue. I'm thinking that this may address the issue I reported about the DEF inefficiency code that I received. There was another tune change of which the service writer could not explain to me (situation normal). Oil was around 5k miles old and I can tell that she loves her new oil.
No O2 sensor replacement was recommended at this time.
I will continue to monitor and report back any issues should they arise.

Mobile4

Jan 21, 2014
You should be able to tell by tomorrow afternoon if it's going to build up as fast right?

Capri2200

Feb 25, 2015
Truck Year
Went through another one this morning. In all fairness to the truck, the cycle did not complete. I sat for about 10 minutes before turning the truck off to let EGT3 and EGT4 cool down before shutting her off. But this is the kind of inconvenience that the new clean diesels may be causing.
As soon as I reached my destination, she was in the middle of a regen. I had to stop, and I had to let the truck cool down before shutting her off.
My truck is equipped with remote start, so I have used it to let the truck cool down in the past. I would stop somewhere, she would be in a regen, I would stop the truck, get out, lock her, and remote start the truck and let it run for as long as the remote start cycle will let it.

What are others seeing with your trucks? Again, I'm not a high mileage driver and I do may a number of smaller trips. I seem to go into a regen on average 75 miles (sometimes less and sometimes more).

Now that I have new oil and new DEF fluid, I will continue to monitor and let you know what I am experiencing.

utdiesel

Mar 12, 2015
Truck Year
Went through another one this morning. In all fairness to the truck, the cycle did not complete. I sat for about 10 minutes before turning the truck off to let EGT3 and EGT4 cool down before shutting her off. But this is the kind of inconvenience that the new clean diesels may be causing.
As soon as I reached my destination, she was in the middle of a regen. I had to stop, and I had to let the truck cool down before shutting her off.
My truck is equipped with remote start, so I have used it to let the truck cool down in the past. I would stop somewhere, she would be in a regen, I would stop the truck, get out, lock her, and remote start the truck and let it run for as long as the remote start cycle will let it.

What are others seeing with your trucks? Again, I'm not a high mileage driver and I do may a number of smaller trips. I seem to go into a regen on average 75 miles (sometimes less and sometimes more).

Now that I have new oil and new DEF fluid, I will continue to monitor and let you know what I am experiencing.

Any update?

How is the truck doing now?

Capri2200

Feb 25, 2015
Truck Year
Had another computer flash on Wednesday for the DEF 20EE code. Was almost 2 months that had gone by since this specific CEL. Hopefully this time they got it. A flash notice from Chrysler actually went out the morning that I had the truck serviced.
Noticed, too, that my CTS scanner is no longer able to get a value for the "miles since the last regen". All I see is "...". Looks like that last flash has eliminated this for display. Interesting.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Had another computer flash on Wednesday for the DEF 20EE code. Was almost 2 months that had gone by since this specific CEL. Hopefully this time they got it. A flash notice from Chrysler actually went out the morning that I had the truck serviced.
Noticed, too, that my CTS scanner is no longer able to get a value for the "miles since the last regen". All I see is "...". Looks like that last flash has eliminated this for display. Interesting.

Edge will probably just release an update for that value since Ram modified something within in the computer system.