• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Dpf delete tune over existing tune?

Ihallada

Oct 16, 2022
Truck Year
I’m not very knowledgeable on tuning but I have a truck tune that is EPA compliant but it works good and I don’t want to spend another grand for a different tune.
So my question is: Is there someone or company out there that can edit the tune to JUST remove the def system out of the truck without messing up the rest the truck tune I have? ( I want to do a DEF delete in the future) The original tuner will not do that due to EPA fines.
Thanks.

Sorry if this has come up before but I couldn’t find a thread.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Likely not, for one, because a tuner typically will not edit another tuners file (at least one with morals) to do the delete. And funny enough, most of the "tuners" out there simply aren't qualified or know even how to do that outside of a "base tune" file.

A standup guy

Oct 12, 2021
Truck Year
DPF delete might be more trouble than its worth. Its seems most people don't care that its highly illegal so I'll hit on my experience and a few other points. I have a EPA compliant GDE tune on my 2016 with the Regen message and I make sure it does full regens when I get it. Most of the time this is not inconvenient because I'm driving the truck like it should, be for longer trips at highway speeds. It is not a short trip to work, daily driver type vehicle. I have not had any issues with the DPF system. I make sure the air filter, fuel filter and MAPS sensor are in good shape, run a little fuel additive and I get up to 30mpg on the freeway. That number seems inline or atleast close to what people get with a delete. I also will not have to jump through hoops or potentially not be able to sell the truck when the time comes because it is deleted. Lastly, consider your fellow man. Because of this technology smog has been seriously reduced. Deleted trucks produce many more cancer causing and global warming particles than non deleted trucks. Plus, rolling coal gives diesel trucks a bad rap which leads to more regulation and fewer diesel options. For me, the only downside so far is shelling out for DPF and the occasional poorly timed regen but I do think the benefits outweigh the negatives.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
DPF delete might be more trouble than its worth. Its seems most people don't care that its highly illegal so I'll hit on my experience and a few other points. I have a EPA compliant GDE tune on my 2016 with the Regen message and I make sure it does full regens when I get it. Most of the time this is not inconvenient because I'm driving the truck like it should, be for longer trips at highway speeds. It is not a short trip to work, daily driver type vehicle. I have not had any issues with the DPF system. I make sure the air filter, fuel filter and MAPS sensor are in good shape, run a little fuel additive and I get up to 30mpg on the freeway. That number seems inline or atleast close to what people get with a delete. I also will not have to jump through hoops or potentially not be able to sell the truck when the time comes because it is deleted. Lastly, consider your fellow man. Because of this technology smog has been seriously reduced. Deleted trucks produce many more cancer causing and global warming particles than non deleted trucks. Plus, rolling coal gives diesel trucks a bad rap which leads to more regulation and fewer diesel options. For me, the only downside so far is shelling out for DPF and the occasional poorly timed regen but I do think the benefits outweigh the negatives.
He's asking about deleting the DEF system, not the DPF.

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
I’m not very knowledgeable on tuning but I have a truck tune that is EPA compliant but it works good and I don’t want to spend another grand for a different tune.
So my question is: Is there someone or company out there that can edit the tune to JUST remove the def system out of the truck without messing up the rest the truck tune I have? ( I want to do a DEF delete in the future) The original tuner will not do that due to EPA fines.
Thanks.

Sorry if this has come up before but I couldn’t find a thread.
You don't say what tune you have but you say it is EPA compliant. The only EPA compliant tune is the existing GDE tune and they will not do a DEF delete. Any decent tuner can delete the DEF system (SCR), in fact, I have one. You can get that option from either SFT or MRT but neither will modify your existing tune.

Ihallada

Oct 16, 2022
Truck Year
You don't say what tune you have but you say it is EPA compliant. The only EPA compliant tune is the existing GDE tune and they will not do a DEF delete. Any decent tuner can delete the DEF system (SCR), in fact, I have one. You can get that option from either SFT or MRT but neither will modify your existing tune.
Yes I have a GDE tune. And I was looking at the def/dpf (I thought they were the same thing) delete because I didn’t want something I have to spend a few thousand on if it decides to go bad on me in the next 5 or so years. I’m hoping to increase reliability and keep my pocket less empty over the years. I have no interest in rolling coal. Just reliability and mpg. Also I have no idea on how long the system will last for. Would it last the life of the truck? I’ve only been looking at things that will increase and help the longevity of my 2016 ecodiesel. Like a diesel extreme oil bypass filter and soon a additional/better inline CAT fuel filter mount/filter by insane diesel

Last edited:

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
Yes I have a GDE tune. And I was looking at the def/dpf (I thought they were the same thing) delete because I didn’t want something I have to spend a few thousand on if it decides to go bad on me in the next 5 or so years. I’m hoping to increase reliability and keep my pocket less empty over the years. I have no interest in rolling coal. Just reliability and mpg. Also I have no idea on how long the system will last for. Would it last the life of the truck? I’ve only been looking at things that will increase and help the longevity of my 2016 ecodiesel. Like a diesel extreme oil bypass filter and soon a additional/better inline CAT fuel filter mount/filter by insane diesel
Yes, the SCR and DPF are two different, unrelated systems. To get rid of them you need to go to a stage 2 tune and delete those systems. Not sure why you want to delete as the SCR (DEF) system is harmless and your excellent GDE tune does a good job of preventing the DPF problems.
IMO going to an oil bypass filter and CAT fuel filter mount/filter is nice but unnecessary

Ihallada

Oct 16, 2022
Truck Year
Yes, the SCR and DPF are two different, unrelated systems. To get rid of them you need to go to a stage 2 tune and delete those systems. Not sure why you want to delete as the SCR (DEF) system is harmless and your excellent GDE tune does a good job of preventing the DPF problems.
IMO going to an oil bypass filter and CAT fuel filter mount/filter is nice but unnecessary
Thank you for the clarity. I bought my truck at 90,000 w/o a tune and as a worry I assumed the scr and dpf wouldn’t be reliable over time and sounds like a few grand to fix if either goes bad. If my GDE tune helps all that (due to the low soot) then I’ve changed my mind on any deletes.
Due to the bypass filter I have seen a large decrease in soot in my oil and do think it was necessary from the amount of miles on the truck before I received it. Thanks for the help.