• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Eco Diesel engine fires

Status
Not open for further replies.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Shawnmower87, I see you View point, and all of us have different levels of understanding , I want and demanding VM/Fiat to take responsibility for the quagmire of problems related to ownership. IMO its way over friendly advice.

Let's just look at this, I Purchased the VM product tested it for 4.5 years, and found it wanting. You may love your truck and want to return fire to those that are critical of VM/Fiat continue ignorance. Just think If Fiat would have followed My recommendation to stop production and investigated the 3.0VM back in Late 2015 it would have saved them Billons$. Its not to prove I'm correct its to allow and protect owners, and its up to Owners to ignore or heed My viewpoint.

History is laden with loss of life and property because No one being courageous and strong against the establishment. Its much easier for Me to say nothing, but I feel it necessary to aid in the risk of ownership, that give's the Buyer the opportunity to make decisions base even negative viewpoints.

I was on the Phone Yesterday with two Owners that cannot afford to get out from under ownership of the 3.0VM, They both have invested $3.000.00+ in repairs for and un-running truck, with NO help from Fiat.

8v71

Aug 4, 2019
Truck Year
I'm not quite sure what that means, but you are clear how you feel about your truck. I like mine too. I guess I didn't make my solution clear. The repair/fix that FCA "cannot do", but a cure for the "moment is", Disable the EGR and/or plug off and remove the EGR Manifold tube.(Requires ECM programming) The EGR tube has a fire proof sock around it, because it's hot ( The tip of mine had partial bluing from the heat, and almost plugged), in spite of the EGR cooler, which is routing a percentage of hot greasy exhaust soot being burned plus accumulating in the intake manifold, making a fire hazard in the process, that could be waiting for a rare ignition source? I have already done this, and cooled some of the engine components, no problems to date. Maybe FCA has already figured that out, and my guess, if they have, they are in "fact/fiction, what do we do now mode"? An obvious aftermarket/factory Manifold and routing design change from anybody, would be the first thing that comes to mind, I think Banks has a manifold of some type. Then they would be able to keep a legally intact EGR valve assembly in place or not if you choose. Somewhere there is a rare intermittent high heat source, on top of the engine. It could also be heat from the EGR tube itself, igniting the foam pad, plastic or electrical wiring and making the fix, moot? That may or may not be the case? This engine was not designed with integral EGR components. Having worked on the EGR unit, it is a bolt on unit, no special ports into the engine. I suspect in some parts of the world, the EGR isn't required.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Here's Brainwheeler Intake Judge for yourselves
Plenum_3.0_Intake.jpeg

Plenum_3.0_intake_Swirl.jpeg

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
first thing I did was throw all that plastic and foam rubber in the trash

8v71

Aug 4, 2019
Truck Year
What a mess. What is the reason or cause (if you have time) for removing the manifold in the picture, I figured from the picture that you are involved with a dealership, that's a plus for all of us. if so, how many miles? Mine was at 117,000-+ when I did the delete, I didn't remove the manifold. I used a little shop vac, vacuumed as much as i could thru the EGR tube hole, which isn't much, and left it alone, but there still was a greasy film, heavy in places that coated the inside walls of the manifold, Iooked using a camera probe. I made it a point not to dislodge chunks that i couldn't get out. Then buttoned it up and been driving it ever since. Current mi. 132,000+. (2015 model)

Swgunn

Jan 15, 2019
Truck Year
IMO, their are multi cause of Fires for the 3.0VM. Turbo,Fuel leaks, Plenum, Leaky EGR and electrical.

Remove all that plastic and sound foam that in includes the CP4 cover, and practice good engine hygiene.

I need to find the picture of an internal melted Plenum (Somewhere on one of My computers) IMO the soot effects the swirl valves and eventually the Intake valves, At combustion the intake valve(s) will denotate or warp, this will allow the flame to ignite the soot in the plenum, the plastic will melt and burn, its all over at this point and even 1 fire extinguisher and garden hose was NOT able to put it out after the engine flamed up in this owners driveway.

Rumor has it NO fix for all the fires, Stay away from owning 3.0VM Dsl. Just to risky.

MXZ0588

Mar 24, 2020
Truck Year
HAVING THE UPDATE SAVED ME . FCA PUT A NEW MOTOR IN MY 2016. CONTACT THE LAW FIRM HANDLING THE LAW SUITE . THEY CAN TELL YOU IF THERE IS ANY LEGAL OPTIONS AT NO CHARGE. WERE YOU HAVING TO ADD COOLANT DUE TO EGR LEAKING?
Does anyone have the information for the attorney? My 17 is using a decent amount of coolant and FCA wants to do nothing, so I want to start the process with the class action suit.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Does anyone have the information for the attorney? My 17 is using a decent amount of coolant and FCA wants to do nothing, so I want to start the process with the class action suit.
FCA will replace the EGR cooler as a recall, but the parts aren't available yet. It's looking like early May. I'm not aware of any class action suit.

MXZ0588

Mar 24, 2020
Truck Year
FCA will replace the EGR cooler as a recall, but the parts aren't available yet. It's looking like early May. I'm not aware of any class action suit.
As of yesterday FCA had no ETA on the redesigned EGR when I called, nor did my local dealer yesterday. All the dealer could offer is to replace the EGR with another faulty EGR. where did you hear early May from? Hopefully that's the case, probably unlikely with everything going on right now.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I would like to see the target date from credible source(s), My source tells me No fix for EGR and No date in the immediate future.

Its the same fake News source March, April, May etc. Most of these false claims Originate 1500falsediesel.XXX , AKA 1500diesel.xxx

MXZ0588

Mar 24, 2020
Truck Year
I would like to see the target date from credible source(s), My source tells me No fix for EGR and No date in the immediate future.

Its the same fake News source March, April, May etc. Most of these false claims Originate 1500falsediesel.XXX , AKA 1500diesel.xxx
bulletproof diesel has aftermarket ones on the shelf ready to go to fix the issue. Too bad FCA doesn't smarten up and offer that as an option... I can dream anyway.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Calhenry , I think it would be legal, The Unit does NOT defeat the cooler. Just replacing VIA aftermarket is acceptable or modifying, The Cooler would most likely NOT change Tail pipe Emissions. The Law is defeat/delete AECD.

The more important question is how can changing the cooler resolve the fires 100%, Its likely to be a very very small % of the fires cause.

IMO, its only going to stop the fires 2-3%. If that cooler was 100% of the cause the 3.0VM would be burning XX+s monthly, because its common for the seals to leak. Mine did.

John

Nov 13, 2015
TC, take a look at the recall info. It's not the leaking seals that are causing the fires.
egr recall.PNG

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
10 of 1000+s have EGRs have leaked into intakes for decades in various make and models, its the first I ever heard of them being linked to fires.....read the document carefully which MAY lead to fire..

Again IMO its Very very small possibility its even casing a fraction of the fires.

Most internal leaking EGR destroy the Motor in Short Order, The Coolant mixes with CAL in all oils today and becomes abrasive, sand like material the Engines show signs of blow-By and eventual rotating mass failure.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Susceptible to thermal fatigue ...Just another sign of over engineering and under development.

If Internally leaking OAs would show the contamination.

Attachments

• 15 RAM 1500-180512 (002).pdf
    29.3 KB · Views: 5

John

Nov 13, 2015
It's the plastic intake that melts and allows oxygen + coolant allowing combustion. This one is factual and not open to opinion Lol. No coolant enters the oil and if it does it's not being analyzed after the fire. Think about it...

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
John.....It's the plastic intake that melts and allows oxygen + coolant allowing combustion. This one is factual and not open to opinion Lol. No coolant enters the oil and if it does it's not being analyzed after the fire. Think about it...

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
How does it ignite...If it enters the Intake it will enter the cylinders cling to the cylinder walls and be pickup in the OA, the fuel is measures BY % the rest of contaminates are PPM , Parts Per Millionths. ( Other than those listed under Properties) If coolant is finding its way into the Plenum does it just disappear? what's the next destination? the same destinations as millions of other internal combustion engines, Head(s) to combustion chambers now that's a fact.

The OA would/should increased levels of Sodium PPM , Really leaking, big increases in Insolubles, Water , Antifreeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.