• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

EcoDiesel DPF Problems and Questions

Diesel30

Aug 1, 2013
So, as we all know the latest diesels all have DPF's and UREA injection to keep emissions down. I know from friends that drive the other diesels that have these some have removed them for better fuel mileage. How will that work with the ecodiesel? Will they be the same? Google brings up a lot of problems with dpf, including fires.. id rather not burn the truck down with one.

Bigfoot

Nov 6, 2013
Dealer's choice but removing the emission systems seems more about making a political statement than in actually improving mileage or safety. There are few reports of fires caused by DPF systems and those tend to involve poor fuel quality and lack of maintenance. The gains will be small unless the engine is also modified which may be difficult outside of a full shop. There are many disadvantages--pollution, warranty, inspections, faulty modifications--that make this a poor choice.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Dealer's choice but removing the emission systems seems more about making a political statement than in actually improving mileage or safety. There are few reports of fires caused by DPF systems and those tend to involve poor fuel quality and lack of maintenance. The gains will be small unless the engine is also modified which may be difficult outside of a full shop. There are many disadvantages--pollution, warranty, inspections, faulty modifications--that make this a poor choice.

I can disagree about the political statement. My Duramax does so much better WITHOUT a DPF rather than with one. I'm saying it's right to remove it, but anyone can agree the longevity will be increased with the DPF/EGR removed.

Bigfoot

Nov 6, 2013
I can disagree about the political statement. My Duramax does so much better WITHOUT a DPF rather than with one. I'm saying it's right to remove it, but anyone can agree the longevity will be increased with the DPF/EGR removed.

Longevity of the truck or people? Diesel exhaust sans the pollution systems causes cancer among other things. Not to mention our planet's health from the nitrogen oxides produced.

What year Duramax do you have? Early pollution systems and engine designs were not as good as today. And systems from all years require consistent maintenance.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Longevity of the truck or people? Diesel exhaust sans the pollution systems causes cancer among other things. Not to mention our planet's health from the nitrogen oxides produced.

What year Duramax do you have? Early pollution systems and engine designs were not as good as today. And systems from all years require consistent maintenance.

I agree all systems do, but on the Duramax specifically (actually the Dodge & Ford's also) it's been proven time and time again the DPF's get clogged and used up. The EGR tube also is a big complaint. I do hope a few years down the road with 100K + and more we don't see the same problems with these also.

RamDiesel4

Oct 9, 2013
I'm sure a lot of focus was put into the DPF's and Urea systems as not exactly "new" technology now. They've been in use since 07 on light duty trucks so a lot has been taken from that. Lets hope I'm right though.