• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

EcoDiesel Engine Failure 16,500 miles

South450

Mar 10, 2016
Truck Year
August 26th, leaving for Colorado from Fort Worth TX. We got about a mile from the house with engine running rough and knocking. the sound was troubling as we pulled away from the curb at home, but we were in such disbelief we pushed on. About a mile from the house we knew we were in trouble. I did a quick u turn hoping to get the trailer back to the storage space but the engine blew in the the early morning traffic.

Today the truck is at Autonation Ram/Jeep and they have ordered an new engine. As of now they don't know when the new one will be in.

more to come...
Thanks for keeping us updated.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
August 26th, leaving for Colorado from Fort Worth TX. We got about a mile from the house with engine running rough and knocking. the sound was troubling as we pulled away from the curb at home, but we were in such disbelief we pushed on. About a mile from the house we knew we were in trouble. I did a quick u turn hoping to get the trailer back to the storage space but the engine blew in the the early morning traffic.

Today the truck is at Autonation Ram/Jeep and they have ordered an new engine. As of now they don't know when the new one will be in.

more to come...
Ouch, that really sucks. I hope they are good at putting the engine in! We are leaving sept. 25th towing our new 5000 lb TT for a couple of weeks around the Oregon Coast and the Redwoods.
My truck has 11500 miles and I was not planning on changing the oil till we get back.
Hope the new engine fixes all the problems!

Peter

Sep 16, 2016
Truck Year

more to come...
Last week we Had the electronic throttle control light come on after the truck sounded like it was on a rippled road and max speed was 44 mph. Got a little down the road and the low oil pressure light came on, then the check engine light. The check engine light came on a week before. Did the second oil change a week before the first check engine light came on. Took it to Lone Star dodge and was told we put it in neutral and reved the engine. Don't know how. Now at Lone Star dodge and was told the high pressure fuel pump imploded. The dealer said they are in talks with the engineers at chrysler. They took out the fuel tank yesterday and found more issues. They say they have ordered parts, but not sure which parts are ordered. I think this is a major issue with the engine.

Last edited:

Peter

Sep 16, 2016
Truck Year

more to come...

JackB

Sep 17, 2016
Last week we Had the electronic throttle control light come on after the truck sounded like it was on a rippled road and max speed was 44 mph. Got a little down the road and the low oil pressure light came on, then the check engine light. The check engine light came on a week before. Did the second oil change a week before the first check engine light came on. Took it to Lone Star dodge and was told we put it in neutral and reved the engine. Don't know how. Now at Lone Star dodge and was told the high pressure fuel pump imploded. The dealer said they are in talks with the engineers at chrysler. They took out the fuel tank yesterday and found more issues. They say they have ordered parts, but not sure which parts are ordered. I think this is a major issue with the engine.

Could this very well be a timing cam issue?

Barry Mckeel

Apr 16, 2016
Truck Year
Seems like an ongoing problem, any idea on percent of failures/units sold? 2016 Limited luv the vehicle not so the dealers.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Why don't those Canadian post correctly Heeeeheeee

Buster

Oct 8, 2015
Truck Year

more to come...
What is your manufacture date?

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
Mine is 2014 and engine blew at 34,000 miles. They said oil pump went out. Ram great on war tenth. Got new engine and covered all expenses
so do they give you another 100,000 mile warranty on the new engine or do you just get the remainder of the original warranty?

Frank MAtiella

Jun 23, 2016
Truck Year

more to come...

There used to be a lemon law that basically said that if your vehicle was in the shop for warrantee work for more than 30 days, you had the right to ask for a return of all your money or a new vehicle. I am not completely sure of the wording but its something like that. I have read and heard so many complaints about this new diesel engine, I am starting to wonder about the wisdom of having bought one. Personally, I do not trust mine for more than maybe a two hundred mile round trip.
My big gripe is that I cannot get over 22 MPG on the highway even on round trips. I drive about 130 miles to Phoenix from Tucson, and it is a pretty level road. I did get 26 MPG one time driving at 54 MPH. In Arizona, the speed limit on freeways is 75 MPH and you are discouraged by public agencies from driving that slow on the freeway. God help you in Texas where Freeway speed limits are up to 85 MPH.

Peter

Sep 16, 2016
Truck Year
I'm not sure. Dealership are saying they need to replace the fuel system. They dropped the fuel tank yesterday and found more problems.
Now dealership saying we have water in tank and a black sludge. Not under warranty.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Now dealership saying we have water in tank and a black sludge. Not under warranty.
Did you keep your fuel reciept? Go to the station and have them test the fuel. They should cover it if they're at fault.

This is why I only buy from high volume stations so help eliminate bad fuel. It can happen to anyone though.

Blownwillyscoup

Jul 12, 2016
A little more info...

My truck is a 2015 ecodiesel with 3:55 rear gear. I had just had my 2nd oil change just oover16,300 miles. I did the oil change a little early because I was leaving for Colorado and didn't want to go over on miles. I pull a 2650RK Grand Design Imagine, 29' long with 7700 gross weight, I am never that heavy, normally 7200-7300 loaded. I love this truck and am really not sure what I want to do when I get it back.

Blownwillyscoup

Jul 12, 2016
We had a 2015 Ram Eco Diesel and the same thing happened to my wife driving home from work one day. Chrysler of Canada said it was our fault the the main crank bearings and two con rod bearings were scored. All this happened at 32 thousand kilometres. The fuel economy was awesome but the expensive oil changes robbed any money that you were saving on fuel. The owner of the dealership said that if I have to go right to the top to get the engine replaced he will. Anyways got the engine replaced and traded it in for a 2016 Hemi Sport. If the engine was a CUMMINS I wouldn't even be commenting in this post.

Plug

Sep 15, 2016
Truck Year
Don't mess with the tube, if you block anything do it at the up pipe before the actuator. theirs a sensor themocoupler in the EGR coolant chamber to measure the temp, so if you block it completely the code will always set, IQ Banks IQ.

more to come...
What is your engine temp when your pulling your trailer?