• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ecodiesel engine failure

Waggie

Jan 25, 2016
Truck Year
Hi all, new member from Canada here. This last Saturday my wife was returning from a shopping trip about an hour away from home, and about halfway back, the engine started knocking REALLY bad, and when she pulled to the shoulder, engine died and wouldn't start. When I got there shortly after, I tried to start it, it fired but sounded someone threw a handful of ball bearings into the motor. Had it towed to the nearest dealer, but they haven't looked at it yet( want to see ALL/ANY service records before the submit it to warranty). I do my own oil changes, but rarely keep the receipts , managed to find the last one for oil and filter, always rotella t6 and Napa Gold filter. No codes came up which I thought was weird. My question is has anything similar happened to anyone on here. Truck is a 2016 Laramie with 79000 kilometers on it.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts or comments.

Mark Lee

Feb 23, 2020
Truck Year
Hi all, new member from Canada here. This last Saturday my wife was returning from a shopping trip about an hour away from home, and about halfway back, the engine started knocking REALLY bad, and when she pulled to the shoulder, engine died and wouldn't start. When I got there shortly after, I tried to start it, it fired but sounded someone threw a handful of ball bearings into the motor. Had it towed to the nearest dealer, but they haven't looked at it yet( want to see ALL/ANY service records before the submit it to warranty). I do my own oil changes, but rarely keep the receipts , managed to find the last one for oil and filter, always rotella t6 and Napa Gold filter. No codes came up which I thought was weird. My question is has anything similar happened to anyone on here. Truck is a 2016 Laramie with 79000 kilometers on it.
Exact same thing happened to me. Restarted it and had same noise. Shut it off, waited a few minutes, restarted and it was fine. Took it directly to dealership, they get a scan, no alerts. Did not do it again. A few weeks later my EGR failed and smoked us out of the truck.

xpapax

Feb 25, 2020
Truck Year

So this sounds almost word for word what happened to me this weekend. Headed out hunting, ~277km drive, all highway. I made it to about 273km no issues, running great. Came to a hill and on the way down (cruise set to 90km/h) it downshifted, RPM came up to about 2300 and bottom of the hill it shifted back up and kept going. Just after that a quiet ticking sound started, both myself and the passenger could hear it, but there were no engine lights, all pressues and temps read normal, so I cancelled the cruise and let it start slowing. As it got slower the ticking got louder, i pulled over and put in park to take a look, soon as I got out the engine died. I checked under the vehicle, no leaks, couldnt see anything, so we checked under the hood (oil, coolant level, fan, etc) everything was good.

Tried to start it to see if we could pinpoint the noise, it fired and died right away, I tried again and it fired but had a vibration and a loud knock so i shut it down and called roadside. I ended up restarting it to move it more off the road and it went into gear and moved without issue, just a loud knocking and vibration. Dealer called yesterday and asked for maintaince records, so I called my old dealer and had them send oil change #1 over, and I pulled the receipts for change #2 (did this myself, Rotella T6 5W40 from CanTire, and Napa Gold Filter). Dealership seemed happy with what I gave them and called today to tell me I need a new engine, that they're starting the paperwork with chrysler.

Mine is a 2018 Limited with 27,790km on it.

Waggie

Jan 25, 2016
Truck Year
Have you heard anything back on yours yet? Still waiting to hear about mine. All they've said is it's been sent to FCA legal.

xpapax

Feb 25, 2020
Truck Year
Have you heard anything back on yours yet? Still waiting to hear about mine. All they've said is it's been sent to FCA legal.

Nothing as of yet. Its been 1 week now since they told me. Rocking my rental minivan

Caveman

May 15, 2019
Truck Year
Its been Friday since mine was towed in. General manager and Chrysler Case manager called for all service records yesterday. They were dropped off today at lunch. Haven't heard anything yet. I'm in eastern Canada as well xpapax!

Waggie

Jan 25, 2016
Truck Year
Well I heard from the service manager today, now FCA wants an oil sample analysis done, at my cost. Not sure what they think that'll tell them other than it t6 5w40. Only about 7500km on that oil since I changed at the beginning of December.

Caveman

May 15, 2019
Truck Year
I'm not sure why they would even want that? Your under warranty, they know the engines fail due to EGR cooler. Its a hard go man. First new truck i bought all highway mileage. I baby the friggin thing. Now they told me it's going to be 19,500$ for the new engine, AND they are going to put the same 2nd Generation motor in !?!?! 5000k over my 100000km warranty.....

DBM

Dec 4, 2020
Truck Year
Same thing happened to me. 2015 eco diesel. Just out of warranty 130000 km. Waiting to hear from Chrysler. Not happy.

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
no new motors r available for the eco anymore they r rebuild by ???????????

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
DBM, Stand Your ground You are 1 of 10,000+ 3.0VMs that have puke.

Gproduce

Sep 14, 2020
Truck Year
I have a 2016 Eco diesel and have babied it and it has 45000 miles on it.I have been waiting on the list to have my EGR cooler replaced but at the pace the replacements parts are coming in it will be about 4-6 months before the the recalled part is replaced. From what i have been told they have no fix for this problem so it will probably happen again. I need to drive across country with my trailer to see my ill brother. I am not flying or staying in hotels with covid raging. will probably go and roll the dice but now we feel the need to sell this truck and buy something reliable. I cant believe there is not a class action law suit with all the problems this poor engine has given people.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
The 3.0 Seems to do OK in HWY, if everything checks out before you leave you should be OK, I would change the lube and both Fuel and oil filters, and make sure you have ALFA+ the MX OBDII.

On Edit, The 2016 will allow lower concentrations of DEF Mix 2 Gallons Distilled water to every 1 Gallon DEF to stop DEF injector plugging.

Gproduce

Sep 14, 2020
Truck Year
If I was to sell the Eco what would you recommend to also pull a lite 7000 lb trailer. Stay with Dodge? just wondering, and I know this is a broad question. I do like diesel but would go back to gas for peace of mind.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I just don't sponsor pulling wagons (Van) with 1/2 Tons far and fast over 6000, its just not enough Iron IMO. That being said 55MPH on flats and skill at pulling is up to the individual.

Take the 6000+ wagon (Van) across ND,SD,MT,WY,UT,ID,MN,IA on 30+ Winds will diffidently change your mind. Yep, Some do it, but that does not equal should you do it.

IMO, Ram is the Best truck on the Pavement today, its the 3.0VM That's (*&^%)