• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

ecodiesel fail

Ronny P

Jan 11, 2016
Truck Year
Howdy, from Texas. I have a 2015 ecodiesel lone star 4x4 with 11,800mi. I just attempted to do a 2nd trip to the Pecos river near Pandale, Tx. I had a sinking feeling when my truck started an engine clatter, then rpms went to 3000...and was done.I noticed a post of a hpfp gear fail. I'm hopeful it may be the same. I will keep you posted once my truck is diagnosted.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Sorry to hear about the bad luck Ronny.

Keep us updated, and welcome to the site!

I'm going to move this discussion to the engine talk area so it will get some more views!

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
Hi ronny, some pictures or video clips so we can hear or see some sounds would help some of us give you our experience to help you. It sucks to have problems out of your control, The good thing is your covered under warranty, the only thing youll lose is your truck and time, and hopefully not money for rentals.

John

Nov 13, 2015
That really sucks the clatter makes me think crankshaft failure good luck with it.

Sadecodiesel

Jan 12, 2016
Truck Year
Sorry you have joined the ones with problems. My experience has been extended repair time due to availability of parts. Will test your patience. Good luck.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Any updates, Ronny? I'm still guessing crankshaft failure since the hpfp gear fail is rare and I only ever heard of one failure. I think it had something to do with some kind of performance chip if I remember correctly.

pete cholewinski

May 28, 2015
Truck Year
New to the forum and never posted. I will answer questions.
2015 ecodiesel owned 10 months 32,000 miles.
I drive a 1000 miles a week and know what my truck sounds like.
The change started at 31,500 miles as a pulse sound like the old powerstroke.
I diagnosed the sound as a rod bearing. went to the dealer they said nothing wrong.
Got the service manager and told him to listen and remember because "this is the sound a bearing make right before it breaks"
He said he can not go looking for something. I was told to let it blow up and tow it back in.
That was Friday afternoon Monday clatter from a rod then the squeal a bearing makes after it spins.
$525. tow to get back to home dealer. Checked it in at service. Walked in to sales bought a 2016 Longhorn with a hemi and traded the 2015.
I loved the ecodiesel but I can not spend $24,000. every year or so for a new motor let alone 60 days down time.
I read earlier reports of backordered motors. Today 35 ecodiesel long blocks sitting in Seattle Washington.
$9800. Long block, $14,000. R&R and 2 months down.
And the best part, I called the other dealer that told me I was crazy." General manager please" "your service manager told me I was crazy"
2 day latter the engine grenaded and I towed it past your lot and traded it for a $55,000. sticker truck. You lost a sale, and customer for life.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
Wow, getting nervous with more and more reports. Just in case, I find myself in similar shoes, I have been checking out other trucks. So, it not a last minute choice. So far all is well, however I'm only just over 19,000 KM.

I have added more temperatures to monitor, such as oil temperature to my list. So, far i notice, that the oil temperature seems to stay in the range of the Radiator coolant, unless you are towing, then there is change upwards.

Here in Alberta, there are lots of Dodge, but most are HEMI's and rest are RAM 2500, RAM 3500. Though lately, there are lots of Ford EcoBoost. Don't see too many EcoDiesel.

I sold my second vehicle and holding off until spring/summer, so that will be of help. My mileage will climb a bit faster on the truck.