• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

EcoDiesel flash with settlement

8v71

Aug 4, 2019
Truck Year
2015 Ram at 120,000 miles. I was having such a problem with my DEF and a leaking EGR and was out of warrenty so I eliminated all of it and did the mildest tune from PPEI. I have missed all the warrenty money and fixes, they were to late. But all my problems went a way and my mileage went up 2.5 MPG. If you do this, I would get the tune from GDE, they are a lot better to work with. Do remember you do not have to get a complete delete, you can do a little bit or a lot or not at all and just get the tune leaving the rest intact. Still the full delete and the Tune was the best thing that I did, hands down.

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
2015 Ram at 120,000 miles. I was having such a problem with my DEF and a leaking EGR and was out of warrenty so I eliminated all of it and did the mildest tune from PPEI. I have missed all the warrenty money and fixes, they were to late. But all my problems went a way and my mileage went up 2.5 MPG. If you do this, I would get the tune from GDE, they are a lot better to work with. Do remember you do not have to get a complete delete, you can do a little bit or a lot or not at all and just get the tune leaving the rest intact. Still the full delete and the Tune was the best thing that I did, hands down.
Last month the EPA just about shut down GDE and all the other aftermarket tunes with their EPA regulations.

Arkie 16

Apr 3, 2018
Truck Year
I had my truck a 2015 Ram Limited EcoDiesel re-flashed with the settlement tune about a month ago.
Here are my results.
I towed my hunting trailer 4000 lbs (200 Miles one way) after the tune and only managed 10mpg and the truck would not shift out of 5th gear unless going down hill. In the 2 years prior I would get 14 mpg and the truck would shift up to 7th gear one the same run. Tow/haul was on.
I have not been able to check without towing because of work.
The fans runs constantly and when I stopped for fuel my turbo was smoking.
Without the trailer and if the vehicle is cold there is a huge lag from the time you push down on the accelerator and actual power is applied.
This is not the truck I purchased. I towed a 1969 Bronco on a trailer( 6500 lbs total and 1700 miles) from Midland Texas to Spokane Washington and was able to get 14 mpg on that trip as well.
I wish I would of done some towing runs before the tune to document this.
With the truck re-flashed I do not think that you couldn't notice the difference. The truck was warm and running when I picked it up. The next morning is when I noticed the hesitation and the transmission shift points were different on my way to the airport.
I have 75,000 miles on my truck and know what it was like before the re-flash.
As far as I am concerned anybody that says that there is no difference after re-flash is somehow working for Ram. The truck is that much different.
Smiddy
You have us outnumbered but some of us have noticed absolutely no difference with the AEM. I do not work for FCA and for that matter I don't work for anyone. I spent 23 years driving a tractor trailer in 48 states and 6 Provinces of Canada so 2.5 million miles by diesel. I also did 21 years as a routine service mechanic for the USAF therefore a maintenance background. Your fan on and turbo smoking suggest to me low coolant and no cool down time.

8v71

Aug 4, 2019
Truck Year
I haven't been following this, and just found out about it and hearing the call from GDE as you said. But Trump is starting to make life miserable for CARB, we will have see how that plays out. But I have two more tuners in my local area that do not advertise but by word of mouth and they are still doing it on a regular bases. So maybe this is where it is headed??

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
I haven't been following this, and just found out about it and hearing the call from GDE as you said. But Trump is starting to make life miserable for CARB, we will have see how that plays out. But I have two more tuners in my local area that do not advertise but by word of mouth and they are still doing it on a regular bases. So maybe this is where it is headed??
Can you post some info on them?

1904j

May 26, 2019
Truck Year
I purchased my 2016 Ecodiesel used, back in May. I had the AEM settlement tune done at the beginning of August. Truck absolutely sucks now. In the morning, it's the worst. No power until the truck is fully warmed up. Major peddle delay. Warmed up/hot day, it's okay, however the fuel economy dipped a lot. I'm now in the 13's on average. (To be fair, I also lift my truck 6 inches recently and went from the 33's to 35x12.5x15 BFG AT KO2's). I'm also doing much more city driving than I was, so that doesn't help either.

I had delayed ordering the GDE/PPEI/SFT tune as I was waiting for my AEM settlement check to come before ordering. It also sucks as I've had my H&S compound turbo kit sitting in my garage for a couple of months now. Now that I needed the tune, I was saddened to see GDE/PPEI no longer offered it, because of the EPA/CARB issues.

Thankfully, SFT (Sofa King Tuned) is still around. They are our last hope (that I know of). I purchased their tune/unit on 9/25/19 and received the OBD2 programmer yesterday 10/3/19. Switched out my ECU, connected the device to my laptop. Downloaded the stock ECU file and submitted my ECU file to the SFT tuning server today. Hope to have it back within 24 hrs (as they ask for 24hrs to receive the file).

For those wondering, I'm just doing the Stage 1 tune (while truck is stock). I'll do the Stage 2 tune later, after I delete everything and add the compound turbo kit.

I'll post back, once I've received the tune ECU file and have applied it.

Here's a pic of the truck with my lift installed, a pic of the SFT tuner, and new ECU.
- Lift is a 6" Superlift kit (installed painstakingly by me, my awesome neighbor, and my dad, over the course of 5 days)
- 1.5 inch, hub-centric spacers used to retain the factory 20" wheels
- New ECU purchased from a dealer

Attachments

• New ECU.jpg
    New ECU.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 8
  • SFT Programmer.jpg
    SFT Programmer.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Truck - Lifted.jpg
    Truck - Lifted.jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 9

Brenda262

Oct 4, 2019
Truck Year
I have a 2015 EcoDiesel longhorn we bought her used in 2016- knock on wood she has been an amazing truck up until this year when the update had been installed started out with the sluggish start then throttle stranded me 3 times ,they replaced various sensors, a catalytic converter and the last fix was the fuel pump picked up yesterday and didn’t even get home before the check engine light was back on again now they are talking about replacing the whole motor IDK- i have my doubts-if I was given the option to have this update I wouldn’t have done it!!!but I was not given that choice!!! They turned it into a damn lemon !!! Can’t afford new truck 3 months later it spends more time in shop then in my driveway.

Brenda262

Oct 4, 2019
Truck Year
I GLAD someone

I am GLAD that SOMEONE is happy with FCA recall update. I am VERY DISAPPIONTED with my new recall update from FCA. It changed the the way the truck drives completely.
Agreed they turned it into a damn lemon!!

Brenda262

Oct 4, 2019
Truck Year
Boostn, How long did it take you form the time you submitted you paperwork?? They have accepted my initial paperwork but I am still waiting for the paperwork I am suppose to sign and notarized back to them. I did it on line on 2nd of July. I see that it has been accepted. Just curious how long it to you.
Ri
What can we do? Does anyone get any answers to refund or to the so called extension to the warranty? I get nothing just need more information which I sent in already. I’m at 90,500 miles as of today
I filed my n July finally received settlement approval in September got all the paperwork turned in still waiting for a check

Mando Michigan Mark

Aug 27, 2018
Truck Year
That was exactly my experience as well. I traded it in and got the EXACT same truck - right down to features and color - but with a Hemi. Lots of power, 10+ mpg pulling my trailer (6000#, 25' tongue-hitch RV) and am averaging 19.5 mpg going back and forth to work. (2/3 highway, 1/3 city. 21 miles one way.) I love it.

Brenda262

Oct 4, 2019
Truck Year
"The AEM is not expected to change any of your key vehicle attributes, such as average fuel economy, reliability, durability, vehicle performance, drivability, engine noise or vibration, or other driving characteristics. Click here to read the Court approved notice that includes important additional details about the effect of the AEM on your vehicle."

The above Quote is from the FCA settlement site. You have 3 choices:
A. Sell/trade it in

B. Document the changes if its not driveable - Take it back and demand that it gets fixed according to above quote. (good luck with this one)
C. After the AEM install an aftermarket tune of your choice
I’ve read that document backwards and forward right now I still not received a check the dealership is only offering a 21000 trade in for a new gas burner at 540000 I do have a 5th wheel I pull with my current truck unfortunately I still owe 27000 on current truck my payments for the new truck would be 840 dollars a month for 72 months keep in mind the new truck is not a longhorn so I would be trading down and higher monthly payments....so far they replaced sensors, catalytic converter, fuel pump and now they are working on replacing the motor don’t see that in the paperwork!!!. Not to mention the last 6 weekends living at the dealership. We are considering selling the camper and say the hell with it all We are tired and frustrated So don’t give me this crap the update doesn’t effect performance!!! This whole thing has turned my truck into a damn lemon!! Thanks California!!!!!

Will_CathVT

Jul 9, 2019
Truck Year
Bought my 2016 certified, it immediately sent two codes and went into limp mode after plugging the exhaust system. Dealer replaced two exhaust sensors. Had the EGR cooler replaced two weeks ago after I noticed engine temps going up with no code evident. That being said, the turbo lags when first started, I usually give it a minute before putting in drive. I don't accelerate over 2000 RPM until the engine heats up for several minutes. I haven't noticed any turbo lag after the truck is warmed up. I get between 26-27 mpg most of the time unless I'm not driving to work. I don't highway a lot (only have three highways in Vermont...) I drive secondary roads for approximately 75 miles each way to work. I won't get a tune with the extended warranty provided with the flash, the EGR cooler and the leaky fuel lines the dealer noticed during the repair was free and they gave me a loaner from a local car rental place. The cost of the repairs I've had for free I doubt would be made up with higher mpg at this point.

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
I purchased my 2016 Ecodiesel used, back in May. I had the AEM settlement tune done at the beginning of August. Truck absolutely sucks now. In the morning, it's the worst. No power until the truck is fully warmed up. Major peddle delay. Warmed up/hot day, it's okay, however the fuel economy dipped a lot. I'm now in the 13's on average. (To be fair, I also lift my truck 6 inches recently and went from the 33's to 35x12.5x15 BFG AT KO2's). I'm also doing much more city driving than I was, so that doesn't help either.

I had delayed ordering the GDE/PPEI/SFT tune as I was waiting for my AEM settlement check to come before ordering. It also sucks as I've had my H&S compound turbo kit sitting in my garage for a couple of months now. Now that I needed the tune, I was saddened to see GDE/PPEI no longer offered it, because of the EPA/CARB issues.

Thankfully, SFT (Sofa King Tuned) is still around. They are our last hope (that I know of). I purchased their tune/unit on 9/25/19 and received the OBD2 programmer yesterday 10/3/19. Switched out my ECU, connected the device to my laptop. Downloaded the stock ECU file and submitted my ECU file to the SFT tuning server today. Hope to have it back within 24 hrs (as they ask for 24hrs to receive the file).

For those wondering, I'm just doing the Stage 1 tune (while truck is stock). I'll do the Stage 2 tune later, after I delete everything and add the compound turbo kit.

I'll post back, once I've received the tune ECU file and have applied it.

Here's a pic of the truck with my lift installed, a pic of the SFT tuner, and new ECU.
- Lift is a 6" Superlift kit (installed painstakingly by me, my awesome neighbor, and my dad, over the course of 5 days)
- 1.5 inch, hub-centric spacers used to retain the factory 20" wheels
- New ECU purchased from a dealer
You stated that you have a new ECM from the dealer, how did you get it programed to the truck. Did the dealer program it for you or did you find another way to program the new ECM to the truck.

8v71

Aug 4, 2019
Truck Year
To Ram for life, at this point I wouldn't dare say to much about them other then they do their own programing via a third party that could be in town or in another state or country. I got on to them because we had a Freightliner with a Detroit engine just giving us a fit in the N.D. oil field because of the cold, Froze up Def even with the line heater, and the constant Idling plays hell with the DPF, because you can't keep the exhaust hot, long story short they solved the problem. That's when they told me they were doing the 3.0 diesel and actually were working thru an area dealer, of which nobody will admit too in anyway, shape or form.

Ram For Life

May 25, 2019
Truck Year
To Ram for life, at this point I wouldn't dare say to much about them other then they do their own programing via a third party that could be in town or in another state or country. I got on to them because we had a Freightliner with a Detroit engine just giving us a fit in the N.D. oil field because of the cold, Froze up Def even with the line heater, and the constant Idling plays hell with the DPF, because you can't keep the exhaust hot, long story short they solved the problem. That's when they told me they were doing the 3.0 diesel and actually were working thru an area dealer, of which nobody will admit too in anyway, shape or form.
I UNDERSTAND. can you email me at; [email protected].

1904j

May 26, 2019
Truck Year
You stated that you have a new ECM from the dealer, how did you get it programed to the truck. Did the dealer program it for you or did you find another way to program the new ECM to the truck.
I emailed you on how I got the 2nd ECU programmed. Short version is, local dealer did it.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
I do not know much on the tuners on the ecodiesel and if they have any benefit. I did not think that it needed it.
I had a 2009 Ram 2500 with the 6,7 with an edge tuner if I remember correctly. That truck was able to tow my trailer and get 13 mpg in tow mode. The truck set on economy would get 18+ mpg all day long not towing,
For the performance and towing after the re-flash the ecodiesel is an unneeded class of truck now. I would take a Cummins before I purchased a ecodiesel again. The Hemi can put up as good of numbers after the ecodiesel re-flash.
If anybody starts a buy back lawsuit like they made VW do I would join it,
$3000 is a load of crap if you ask me. FCA must have good connections in D.C. for any judge to buy off on this settlement. The settlement was reached before any testing was done on the re-flash.
I would love to pile on with this comment, but if you take the time to read the entire settlement, FCA and EPA with CARB did test the 2017 program on vehicles in testing mode and live driving tests. Purchased used vehicles and a few pristine models from FCA. Whether or not they documented the "issues" recognized by a majority of prior 2017 owners is debatable. From conversations I have had with 2017 and 2018 owners is they have a cold engine turbo lag that they get used to or trade off vehicle. Fuel mileage is variable with the owners as well but most exceed what a Hemi produces. If in fact FCA follows through with an in depth investigation and produces a new program it too would require EPA/CARB approval before being issued. My faith in FCA engineering committee is low at this time in their dealings with this diesel engine. My neighbor has a Cummins 2500 and he is racking up 20mpg average and 16mpg with a 10K lb toy hauler RV. Why the engineering committee can build programs for the Cummins and not their own VMotori is beyond me.