• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

EcoDiesel Fuel Filter changes

flying7

Jul 15, 2014
Truck Year
Anyone here changed their fuel filter on their ecodiesel? How difficult is it? Any part numbers??

RAM3D

Feb 7, 2015
Truck Year
The BEST Dodge Cummins Diesel Fuel Filter Kit Available
I've been thinking about a second fuel filter for some time now. I was thinking
to make a bracket for this one I found on the Internet. It's a dual filter so it would
replace the original filter and housing. should be a plug-and-play With the right fuel connections. Two Caterpillar filters are cheaper than one Mopar filter. And easier to get. the only question I have is the wire connection on the original filter housing. Can I disconnect the wire without getting a code? What do you think guys, Am I crazy?

Attachments

• IMG_0936.JPG
    IMG_0936.JPG
    280.2 KB · Views: 16

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
Just be careful, Our fuel filter is a 3 stage single filter @3 micron. the cummins are 5 micron. You will go through a set of injectors quickly.
Now, if you run that other filter, BEFORE the ecodiesel OEM filter, you can extend your original filter life even more, and provide the same fine filtration requirements.
I know all this on our trucks more than anyone else as I have experimented extensively with them. If you watch my latest video on the fuel filtration, if I did not have my secondary fuel filter, I would have destroyed my HPFP and injectors as one of my filters destroyed itself.

Also our oem housing has a built in heater unit and water detector in it.
No your not crazy, fuel filtration can triple the life of your fuel system. That was the duramax downfall failure on their injectors was fuel filtration.
They only speced out 7 micron, and it was allowing too much dirt past and was wiping out the injectors every 70k.

The new cummins filter is only a single stage filter (paper)
the ecodiesel has 3 stages.
outer wrapping is for structural strength and integrity and provides a "wicking Effect" to shed off water droplets as well as provides the 3 micron filtration.
the second stage is a cotton wrapping which also provides a 4 micron filtration
the third stage is a 5 micron paper element for final filtration.
We literally have the most high tech finest filter in the entire world in our ecodiesels, yes its more expensive and harder to find, but its worth it.

I am working with an aftermarket company to provide a cheaper solution, their first attempt was a complete failure just like their oil filter was, but like the oil filter they are going back to the drawing board and are going to redesign it based on my experience and testing and feedback.

RAM3D

Feb 7, 2015
Truck Year
According to the website where I isgot this info, the cat Filter is better filter than the Cummings filter. Perhaps I should do it your way.
Your opinion and advice is greatly appreciated, thanks man!

cat filters are made to the highest level of quality in a factory, specifically designed to produce 'zero tolerance' filters. CAT built this factory that completely manufactures the filter without a human being touching it, because filter manufacturing can be very tedious and boring, which results in human error. The results of this factory process are a true, 2 micron fuel filter removing 2 micron and larger particles with over 98% efficiency. Do your own research on these CAT filters. For the money and the nationwide availability, you will be pressed to find a better filter out there.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
That was the duramax downfall failure on their injectors was fuel filtration.
They only speced out 7 micron, and it was allowing too much dirt past and was wiping out the injectors every 70k.
That was only on the real early Duramax (01-04 LB7). 04.5 year and newer have proven to be really reliable.

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
im sorry, yes the cat filter head and that 2 micron filter setup will be better than mine. the filter manager I use is expensive and super hard to find, I really wanted the cat head, and the cat has 40x more surface filter area than mine. yes go with the cat. and it could replace the filter we have, only if you keep using the cat 2 micron. im sorry my bad, I thought in my head you were talking about the cummins oem filter head.
ive been using a 2 micron after filter since new and it does catch all the stuff my oem filter does not. I do not regret it at all. and I had zero problems this winter. but the oem filter housing does have a heater unit inside. which came in handy this winter keeping my after filter warm and toasty, even at a -70f windchill night. Every truck around me on the highway were dropping like flies while I purred along perfectly.

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
That was only on the real early Duramax (01-04 LB7). 04.5 year and newer have proven to be really reliable.
yes do you know what they did different in 05 and up? changed the filter micron spec to 5 micron. BUT Bosch have done internal lab testing and proved that the finer the filter media they could double the injector life every micron in reduction.
I received a top secret internal memo from an employee at bosch back in September about our ecodiesel fuel system, he applauded me for my design change on filtration and suggested not to remove it. also the memo showed how to make our fuel system better as there is an inherent design flaw with the injection pump we have.
I will be making a weird video calling out to engineers to help me make something really big for our trucks.

RAM3D

Feb 7, 2015
Truck Year
yes do you know what they did different in 05 and up? changed the filter micron spec to 5 micron. BUT Bosch have done internal lab testing and proved that the finer the filter media they could double the injector life every micron in reduction.
I received a top secret internal memo from an employee at bosch back in September about our ecodiesel fuel system, he applauded me for my design change on filtration and suggested not to remove it. also the memo showed how to make our fuel system better as there is an inherent design flaw with the injection pump we have.
I will be making a weird video calling out to engineers to help me make something really big for our trucks.

If the aftermarket community will build a filter housing that is plug-and-play to our trucks with a 2 micron cat filter, I'll be the first in line.Otherwise, I'll build my own.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed

A entire new injector body/design from my understanding .

Mharrison

Jun 17, 2015
Truck Year
If I'm not mistaken just like every other Heavy Duty manufacturer CAT has their filters built by Donaldson and/or fleetguard. They may have a proprietary design but they don't build them.

EARL KITCHENS

Jul 3, 2015
Truck Year
Does anyone have a part number for the Cat fuel filter? Will it fit right back on without any alterations to the housing? I need simple and the best!

HTMRAM

Jul 4, 2015
Truck Year
Need to have someone machine an adapter like has been done on the Duramax.

@HTMRAM ?
Hey guys,
I've been super busy at work and haven't had time to jump on here in a while... @BoostN you are looking to adapt a different fuel filter to the ED truck? I can look into making an adapter but I would need some more info. The make and PN of the filter you want to use would be a good start.
Thanks,
- John

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Hey John..

CAT seems to be the popular choice for cheaper (But good quality) filters. Yes., we would need to research the filter to but used and perhaps have the adapter made.

If you look up Nicktane, he had adapters made for the Duramax Trucks and were a big hit.

Mharrison

Jun 17, 2015
Truck Year
We would really need an entire new setup right? As we are running a cartridge housing...unless the cat filter is similar in size but I'm assuming it's spin on so we would need a new head...I am not opposed to these ideas at all and actually I'm very tempted to put a prefilter in from one of our CASE tier 4 engines that are running the same injection pump we are...

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
I did that the first week I owned my truck. Has worked perfect the past 133000 miles. And my post filter has stopped a lot of small stuff from going into my injectors. I run a 2 micron post filter