• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

ecodiesel motor failure

disappointed

Feb 2, 2016
Truck Year
I own a 2015 economy diesel and have had the truck since September. Last month the engine blew. Rod shot through the block due to a burr on the crankshaft they said. Truck is still at dealer, 25 days later. Once new engine was installed, no power to truck. Sent it to another dealer, where it is now, replaced wireless ignition module, still not running. Now ordering another part... anyone else having any of these issues? Truck has 11,000 miles. And Chrysler isn't very good to deal with. I guess they don't care about making customers happy when their 4 month old truck blows up because of a manufacturer defect

CJnOC

Sep 16, 2014
Truck Year
Look around the internet, because there are others that have had this. If memory serves me correctly there were some 2014's around June, July build dates I think, that had a defective rod or bearing, or was improperly installed. To make things worse, many of the technicians at the dealers are still being brought up to speed about how to service the 3D's. So I'm sorry to hear that you have to experience this. I do love my truck though, and yes if the engine took a dump, I would be pissed, but I wouldn't get rid of it. Everything is just RIGHT about it. Great looks, great interior, best ride with coils in rear, and where else I'm I gonna get this kind of mileage? I sure as heck ain't gonna buy a new Nissan with the diesel, because that will have worse growing pains than the 3D! At least the 3D, was used for several years in the Grand Cherokee (BTW they are now talking about using the 3D in the Jeeps) and the Ram 1500 is a couple of years old as well. With the Nissan it's ALL new. New engine, new tranny, new frame, body, etc. Okay, enough ramblin!

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Look around the internet, because there are others that have had this. If memory serves me correctly there were some 2014's around June, July build dates I think, that had a defective rod or bearing, or was improperly installed. To make things worse, many of the technicians at the dealers are still being brought up to speed about how to service the 3D's. So I'm sorry to hear that you have to experience this. I do love my truck though, and yes if the engine took a dump, I would be pissed, but I wouldn't get rid of it. Everything is just RIGHT about it. Great looks, great interior, best ride with coils in rear, and where else I'm I gonna get this kind of mileage? I sure as heck ain't gonna buy a new Nissan with the diesel, because that will have worse growing pains than the 3D! At least the 3D, was used for several years in the Grand Cherokee (BTW they are now talking about using the 3D in the Jeeps) and the Ram 1500 is a couple of years old as well. With the Nissan it's ALL new. New engine, new tranny, new frame, body, etc. Okay, enough ramblin!

Good to see you around!

Stan Laurel

Aug 3, 2015
Truck Year
I'm trying to keep my level of concern down, but it's getting harder. No problems yet on my May '15 build with 14,000 miles. Wish I didn't have to say "yet". KOW

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
Same here, my concerns level is climbing too. So much so, that I'm planning plan B in case. So far over 20,500KM all is well. Running perfect, not even a little issue.

Stan Laurel

Aug 3, 2015
Truck Year
Same here, my concerns level is climbing too. So much so, that I'm planning plan B in case. So far over 20,500KM all is well. Running perfect, not even a little issue.
Soooo....what's Plan B?

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
First of all, I'm researching, to figure out why some ecodiesel are failing. See another thread, that indicates some reasons. Plan B, checking out other trucks and the forums, so I know the pro and cons of each and complaints by owners. If it becomes necessary, I can jump out of Dodge.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I'm trying to keep my level of concern down, but it's getting harder. No problems yet on my May '15 build with 14,000 miles. Wish I didn't have to say "yet". KOW
I've got 23k miles on mine with almost identical build time and I've had no issues at all. I guess we got a good batch huh?

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
All is well here, so far, good oil test, etc. Just about to hit 23,000 KM (metric). Soon be ready for another oil change. Like to keep it that way. I'm hoping the issue is a low number in comparison to truck sales.

Stan Laurel

Aug 3, 2015
Truck Year
Just had my second oil change at 17,500. Talked to the service writer at Thompson FCA, Thompson GA, to find out how many horror stories he's had to deal with since the ED came out. I was happy to hear that they haven't had a single engine failure, just several trucks throwing some of the more common codes that we've seen/heard about here - none of which came back for rework according to him. Dude seemed pretty honest, and I walked away feeling better that it's a very low percentage of EDs that are hit with engine failures. Maybe I have rose colored glasses, but I haven't had a single problem and still absolutely love this truck.

Jerry Hefley

Feb 7, 2016
Truck Year
I will jump in here. Over the years I have owned just about every kind of truck there is. I can tell you that EVERY manufacturer has engine failures. I had a 2008 Chevy Silverado with a 302 blow the engine at about 65,000 because of a factory defect in engine design. They tried to copy the Dodge 5.7 1/2 engine shut down system and failed. Dodge had that down pat 15 years ago. Chevy replaced or repaired thousands of engines but managed to keep it quiet. Had a Ford bust a crank bearing at 95,000. I had extended warranties on both. didn't cost me a dime including towing. The truth is every manufacturer has a minor set of failures every year. Add Nissan to the list. A friend is having major repairs at about 50,000. But if it happens to you it is not minor. But to bail on the truck is nuts. I have a 2016 EcoDiesel Longhorn. This is by all standards the finest truck I have ever driven. The morning it started instantly at -21 degrees in Upstate New York and unplugged in , I became a true believer. I am 63 years old. Damn it. I did buy an extended warranty. They will not do a lifetime on a Diesel but it is 8 years and 145,000 miles but NOT by Chrysler. I have been told by several mechanics, a Ford, A Chevy and two from Dodge to get the oil changed at about 3,000 miles. I have about 3600 and the oil will be changed this week. I was Driving a Dodge powered Winnebago Motorhome in 1969. Believe the truck commercials if you want but Dodge has been the leader of American light duty truck technologies since the 1950's. The commercials put Ford Against Chevy, but they leave Dodge and usually Nissan out of it. Up until 2017 Nissan had been selling technologies that are 10 years old. But caution here, the new Nissan Diesel, I understand they will have, will be an untested engine just like the eco was 3 years ago. Because reality is they are comparing 3 and 4th choice trucks. Their "Awards" are bought. When Chrysler took the government money, the Truck division was the only part of Chrysler that was making money. The government said they had to shut down the truck Div, because they were gas gusslers. But they did not and set out to perfect their engines. This is where the bullet proof 5.7 came from. No matter what goes down with my truck, and I expect nothing will, I am a Ram guy.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
The truth is every manufacturer has a minor set of failures every year. But if it happens to you it is not minor.

But to bail on the truck is nuts. I have a 2016 EcoDiesel Longhorn. This is by all standards the finest truck I have ever driven.

D!8I did buy an extended warranty. They will not do a lifetime on a Diesel but it is 8 years and 145,000 miles but NOT by Chrysler.

No matter what goes down with my truck, and I expect nothing will, I am a Ram guy.
I got extremely lucky and I actually travelled 350 miles to a dealer that provides lifetime powertrain Warranty. But it's for original owner only unless you trade in to them under 100k they can resell with the same Warranty below 100k. That being said I still bought a 7 year 100k bumper to bumper wrap.
I love my 2015 longhorn. I ordered it and made sure that I got absolutely everything I wanted as I wanted it. It's been great to me for the last year. I hope yours treats you the same and you enjoy it.