• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ecodiesel Oil Brand and Filter

ToeTruck

Mar 5, 2021
Truck Year
All, I am curious as to the type oil and filter most are running in their eco. I use Rotella 5/40 and use the Wix filter. I think the manual stated Rotella or similar.
I also know oil discussions can get long based on personal preferences, so I'm not looking for specifics, just if there may be a better option I could use to increase the life of my eco. Research seems to point to Delo, Rotella, and Amsoil. Any insight is appreciated, Thanks for your time.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Lots of good info here:

As always, everyone always has their favorite oil brand. :D

Ironcity

Dec 16, 2020
Truck Year
Being that there is a high failure rate for the ecodiesel engines, I only use the mopar oil filter and only use the rotella t6 5/40 since Ram specifically mentioned that oil after they changed the weight of oil to be used in this engine. If you are still under warranty that is. I know that they are supposed to honor warranty with equivalent brands, but I don’t chance it. My eco died last year and I had zero warranty issues. A brand new engine was put in with no charge or hassle. If you are out of warranty, I would try to save some money on an equivalent filter.

All, I am curious as to the type oil and filter most are running in their eco. I use Rotella 5/40 and use the Wix filter. I think the manual stated Rotella or similar.
I also know oil discussions can get long based on personal preferences, so I'm not looking for specifics, just if there may be a better option I could use to increase the life of my eco. Research seems to point to Delo, Rotella, and Amsoil. Any insight is appreciated, Thanks for your time.

scoffman

Aug 21, 2019
Truck Year
I run the white lady with Shell Rotella T6 and the K&N oil filter.

Last edited:

Rints79

Mar 20, 2021
Truck Year
I run Rotella T6 and a wix filter in my '18 eco.. a lot of failures with the ecodiesel come from a quick start after an oil change. One of my buddies is a mechanic at a Dodge dealership and he warned me to not start it up for 20-30 minutes after I've added the oil because this engine has a slow coat

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
I use Rotella T6, & a bit of HOTSHOTS FR3, & once in a while some stiction eliminator, I order my filters from IDPARTS.COM, they have a filter that they claim it the EXACT same filter as the MOPAR filter & it looks identical. IDPARTS also sell service paks that includes filters and different oil options, they also offer filter options in the paks. I would stick with the OEM fuel filter as some have said the aftermarket filters can swell if you have water in the fuel.