• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ecodiesel or Hemi

Jordan farmer

Aug 24, 2017
Truck Year
Not Listed
Hi everyone, I'm looking at getting a new truck soon. I've read and heard a few things about the ecodiesel not being reliable. Ideally I'd like to keep the truck for 8 to 10 years. I like the ecodiesel personally because of its fuel mileage capabilities over the hemi, but not sure about keeping it past it's warranty. So what is everyone's thoughts?

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
I wouldn't buy one. Reliability is no small issue.

I would rather throw the dice and buy Ford's new half ton diesel in hopes that they have a more reliable power plant. The Ram diesel is a known turd. May as well gamble with the Ford.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
^^^^ hahaha but ya did and it's a fine running machine if I recall correctly. Anytime you point out how bad this truck is, I'm going to point out how yours is problem free and any knowledge you have of this truck being a 'turd' is what you've gathered off the internet. Ok?

OP, it actually depends on your usage in my opinion. If I lived in town no way would I buy any modern diesel. I think the emission systems kill them with a lot of short runs. Gasser would be just fine for that scenario.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

arnie

May 11, 2017
Truck Year
I wish I had held out for a V6 gas engine since I didn't really need a hemi .

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Most of my commuting is small town 1-2 miles. Lots of idling with Minnesota winters. But I get a lot of highway miles also, I only run into high dpf issues if the truck doesn't get out of town for a week then it bitches it needs some drive time to burn off. No biggy. That's the "don't buy a modern diesel if you live in town" bs

Capt Tim

May 7, 2017
Truck Year
Guess it was inevitable at some point as I’ve tried not to jinx my 14 ED. I’m well Over 72k problem free miles. I read all the horror stories folks post about their ED but I’m honestly never had any issues. Just added bed racks to haul lumber, ladders and surf boards. My wife says the ugly but super functional. Check it out.

Attachments

• 060CCBFB-A995-4E90-BE88-EF23398C4D5D.jpeg
    060CCBFB-A995-4E90-BE88-EF23398C4D5D.jpeg
    706.8 KB · Views: 16

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Guess it was inevitable at some point as I’ve tried not to jinx my 14 ED. I’m well Over 72k problem free miles. I read all the horror stories folks post about their ED but I’m honestly never had any issues. Just added bed racks to haul lumber, ladders and surf boards. My wife says the ugly but super functional. Check it out.
At least it's a nice one. Some folks them out of wood.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
I like them and have been contemplating a set. I kick myself for getting the shortbed. It's far the best looking bed, but also the most useless....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk