• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

EcoDiesel Tow Ratings Announced

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Ram announced the EcoDiesel will have a factory tow rating of 7450 lbs. Ram suggested this is "class leading" tow rating, which is true for a base model equipped truck. But, comparing that to Ford and adding the EcoBoost option the EcoDiesel is overcome by 1 ton in towing capacity

What do you guys think? I do find it ironic that a gas motor is rated to carry more than the diesel.

FireGuy

Sep 1, 2013
I think it's good numbers considering what Ram is targeting. They are looking for a nice quiet engine with a equivalent rating of a gas model. But, were the difference comes in is the fuel mileage over the Hemi model and the diesel advantage with oil change frequency, the torque curve, and obvious fuel mileage.

AzRamDiesel

Jan 2, 2014
How heavy? If your pulling really heavy and often then the 3/4 ton truck might be a better option. And its a Cummins!!

Capri2200

Feb 25, 2015
Truck Year
Anyone know if that 7450 is a real number? My calculations with 5 adult sized people and their stuff would put my capacity at 7200lbs. Anyone towing anything heavy who can "weigh" in on the discussion? (Taking into account my trucks trim and setup.)

JSchneib

Oct 20, 2015
Truck Year
Payload and tow capacity are different things. My travel trailer weighs 6400 lbs but only has 500 lb tongue weight. The ratings are dependent on cab style, 2wd or 4wd, gearing and trim. My 2015 SLT with a quad cab and 3.92 gearing is tagged at 9000lb towing. The charts are on the ram tow rating site. Ram follows the SAE ratings which are based on acceleration, maintained speed on a 7% grade, load sway on a decreasing radius turn and braking. So I am confident that this truck will pull my trailer as well or better than my 2003 Dodge 2500 hemi. Ecodiesel has more torque, weighs the same as my 2003, more gears and the same brakes. Makes me question if the 12k tow rating on my 2500 is accurate. Would love to hear everyone elses thoughts.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Anyone know if that 7450 is a real number? My calculations with 5 adult sized people and their stuff would put my capacity at 7200lbs. Anyone towing anything heavy who can "weigh" in on the discussion? (Taking into account my trucks trim and setup.)
Must be nice. My truck can't handle 5 adult sized people. 714lbs persons and cargo

And it is right to subtract payload from towing because tow rating is total overall vehicle weight including trailer. And 10% trailer weight to tongue weight. Also technically I believe tongue weight is supposed to be subtracted from payload to an extent