• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Edge Insight CTS

Capri2200

Feb 25, 2015
Truck Year
I have installed one of these scanners in my 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel and has proved to be very valuable. As a result of installing this device, I can now see when the truck is in a regeneration state. during this time, the EGT3 and EGT4 sensors reach temps as high as 1200 plus degrees. As a result, I can now either select to complete the process by continuing to drive or idle the truck at higher idle speeds, or force the cycle to stop and let the truck cool down to protect the cat and the DPF. This is not something that the truck will display on our gauges or lights and can be damaging to these very expensive components if not properly cleaned and/or cooled after one of these cycles kicks in.
Not letting these cycles complete may cause a number of different unpleasant smells as well. One smell is that of a charcoal bbq burning, another is a strong pungent smell along with possible eye burning. Letting the truck complete its regen cycles seems to keep these smells at bay.
Hope this helps.

bill-e

May 2, 2015
Truck Year
A little off topic buy why does the Torque App only read EGT1? Is it my OBD adapter?

I'm trying to convince myself that I don't need an Edge

Capri2200

Feb 25, 2015
Truck Year
A little off topic buy why does the Torque App only read EGT1? Is it my OBD adapter?

I'm trying to convince myself that I don't need an Edge

Hi. I'm not familiar with the Torque App. I know that the ScanTool 2 and the Edge Insight CS and CTS are both advertised to work with this specific truck. I looked into various other products (Bully Dog, Diablo, Jett, and others), but the two that I mentioned were the only two that I could find for the Ram 1500 Eco. I would have to say that it is either your adapter or the app itself as the Edge product is reading EGT1, EGT2, EGT3, and EGT4 without extra probes or connectors.

I may not have the exact positions for the following, but so far this is my understanding.
EGT1 is suppose to be right at the turbo charger
EGT2 is supposed to be around the CAT
EGT3 is before the DPF
EGT4 is after the DPF.

When the truck goes into its regen, EGT3 gets very hot (above 1000 degrees).
As soon as the truck has burned off the soot, it then starts to inject the DEF and the EGT4 temp will rise above 1000 degrees. As soon as the soot is cleaned out, the process shuts down and you will start to see EGT3 and EGT4 start to cool down.

The Scantool 2 I believe was listing around $150 to $200
The Edge CS was around $250
The CTS was around $350

Given how expensive it is to have to replace some of the components in this truck's exhaust system, I deicide to buy the CTS. Also a nicer display and easier to read.

Hope the info helps.

bill-e

May 2, 2015
Truck Year
So I purchased an OBDII adapter for 9 bucks on Amazon and I have EGT1, DPF % Full, Regen on/off and other parameters using the $5 Torque app.

Not sure I need much else.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
The CTS would be nicer just for the convenience of having it on the dash and "always on" when you start the truck and not have to load an app each time..

But, both are nice. I want to order a new CTS 2 that just come out.

Capri2200

Feb 25, 2015
Truck Year
Toughest part was sticking it to my windshield :) By the way, there is a pod you can purchase from Edge or on Ebay to give the installation a nicer finished look. I may do this at a later date or when the suction cup stops working :)

Selecting the gauges to display would be your last big step.
Not that anyone else has to do this, but I monitor the following:
EGT1, EGT2, EGT3, and EGT4
Active TQ
Transmission gear
Soot %
Distance since last Regen
RPM
I may have missed one.
The CTS can also be programmed to display different colors, flash, and alarm based on thresholds you would program for each PID. I have done any of this level of programming, but I have seen it done on the MoparEcoDiesel youtube channel.

Mar 13, 2016
Truck Year
I just wish Edge would get the comms issue resolved for the 2016's, after reading the issue's some people are having it would be nice to be able to monitor the params on my new truck when it arrives. I talked to Edge tech support yesterday and they have no idea when the issue will be resolved.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Strange thing happened today with my CS2. I completed a regen on my way to work this am (9%soot). Let it cool down while I put my lunchbox in work truck and parked like normal.
When I was done for the day, hopped back in my truck, fired it up, and went to run an errand down the street. Drove maybe half a mile a pulled into a parking lot.
While I was searching for a spot, (around 11%soot now) the EGT1 climbed to over 1000dF and the alarm went off like it was gonna go into a regen. No lights were on. But just as quickly as it climbed, it fell down to normal after a peak of about 1085. This was not a result of engine workload.
Anybody ever experienced that? And I can't verify the actual truck's temps were that, just what the Edge was displaying.

John

Nov 13, 2015
factory tune? If so, most likely you are seeing rapid heat up strategy.

GDE mentioned this.

What you are seeing is the rapid heat up strategy which post injects fuel to heat up the exhaust above the min temp for DEF injection. This process is happening all the time, not just when it's cold out (with the stock tune).
It can also happen if you leave the vehicle idling for a very long time, in this case hydrocarbons will build up in the DOC which, when left idling, stays too cold to convert (burn) them. When you drive-away then you can have a rapid exothermic reaction once the DOC reaches the light-off temp.

Both in the stock tune and in ours, DEF is not injected until a minimum SCR temperature is reached. We raised up the threshold in our tune, since dosing DEF at too low of exhaust temps leads to poor atomization and liquid DEF laying at the bottom of the catalyst and soaking it. This is the leading cause of the P20EE so far.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Yes its stock tune. Thank you for the explanation. It's just odd that it's only happened once. If it occurs again, is it something to be concerned about?