• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

EGR Cooler Failure

Grubbsy31

Nov 14, 2019
Truck Year
Hey Guys, I'm new here but I have read a lot of good information ya'll have posted. Anyway I Have a 2016 I bought used earlier in the year. It had 44K miles and seemed to be in great shape. I recently had the Emissions Recall done at 65K and as many of you stated, lost some power and fuel mileage. That's not really my issue though. Shortly after, I found that I was losing coolant but no visible leaks. Reading through the posts, it seemed that my EGR cooler had failed. I took it into my local dealer to be looked at and they agreed it was a Cooler issue. This is where the BS begins. So there was a cooler available at another dealer but we were informed there was another recall on the EGR Cooler Bushings. The Bushings are being updated Jan 20, 2020 per recall V02 I believe. In the mean time the dealers in my area will not perform any EGR cooler replacements without the updated bushings. They are being told they will not be reimbursed from Chrysler if they do so. So in a nutshell I was told to continue to add coolant as needed, until the bushings come available in 2 freakin months. I would just delete the whole damn thing but I will lose all my extended warranty. And looking at all the issues ya'll are discussing, I'll need the warranty for sure. That's what I get for downsizing from the 2500 I guess. Thoughts?

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
welcome 2 the group if u keep running antifreeze through the motor u will b walking soon as antifreeze will ruin the engine

Grubbsy31

Nov 14, 2019
Truck Year
That's what I tried to explain to the Dealership but they seemed to think it would be ok. I'm not seeing any signs of coolant in the oil (not milky), but there's certainly traces I'd imagine.

khopem5

Nov 25, 2019
Truck Year
I went to the dealership today because I had white smoke coming from engine, a bad burning smell and I am all of the sudden getting 15 miles a gallon. They said nothing they can do

khopem5

Nov 25, 2019
Truck Year
Is this a classic egr fail? I last had a 16 duramax and deleted it at 500 miles so i never had any bother with reading about egr fails and such

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
I still don’t understand how the bushings are causing a failure, according to what I’ve seen it’s the metal that the egr is made from. I just received my official recall today and it’s baffling to read. To me it sounds as if it’s an internal failure, if it’s internal idk how a bushing is going to help. Oh well guess we shall see

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
That's what I tried to explain to the Dealership but they seemed to think it would be ok. I'm not seeing any signs of coolant in the oil (not milky), but there's certainly traces I'd imagine.
soot does not get milky

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Fresh off the press...

Says it fails internally. If you research the bushings it appears the bushings they are referring to is the external bushings that leak coolant outside of the block seeing as how that’s the number one spot eco owners are directed to look at first. F IT JUST DELETE THE WHOLE EGR MOPAR!!DD658A91-285C-4944-95A4-112A9DA4C805.jpeg
Sorry it won’t come out upright

Brenda262

Oct 4, 2019
Truck Year
Hey Guys, I'm new here but I have read a lot of good information ya'll have posted. Anyway I Have a 2016 I bought used earlier in the year. It had 44K miles and seemed to be in great shape. I recently had the Emissions Recall done at 65K and as many of you stated, lost some power and fuel mileage. That's not really my issue though. Shortly after, I found that I was losing coolant but no visible leaks. Reading through the posts, it seemed that my EGR cooler had failed. I took it into my local dealer to be looked at and they agreed it was a Cooler issue. This is where the BS begins. So there was a cooler available at another dealer but we were informed there was another recall on the EGR Cooler Bushings. The Bushings are being updated Jan 20, 2020 per recall V02 I believe. In the mean time the dealers in my area will not perform any EGR cooler replacements without the updated bushings. They are being told they will not be reimbursed from Chrysler if they do so. So in a nutshell I was told to continue to add coolant as needed, until the bushings come available in 2 freakin months. I would just delete the whole damn thing but I will lose all my extended warranty. And looking at all the issues ya'll are discussing, I'll need the warranty for sure. That's what I get for downsizing from the 2500 I guess. Thoughts?
I would go back to the dealership and tell them this is unexceptable and regardless this is a recall and my truck can’t wait 2months for a part and they should fix the damn thing free of charge at least then your not risking motor damage!!!! And once the updated part has arrived then they can fix again !!! I can believe the shit these dealerships pull on the consumers it’s very frustrating

Tremper126

Staff member
Feb 15, 2019
Truck Year
Just got the P04DB code and noticed my egr seems to be staying open longer and more than usual according to the monitor... wonder if mine shit the bed again

carlhenry

Nov 21, 2018
Truck Year
Not Listed
I still don’t understand how the bushings are causing a failure, according to what I’ve seen it’s the metal that the egr is made from. I just received my official recall today and it’s baffling to read. To me it sounds as if it’s an internal failure, if it’s internal idk how a bushing is going to help. Oh well guess we shall see
the bushings r redesigned because the cooler is different the old seals won't work with the new cooler

Will_CathVT

Jul 9, 2019
Truck Year
My EGR Cooler failed prior to the recall, the replacement was covered under the the extended warranty due to the EPA suit. Per the extended the warranty anyone should have a loaner while waiting for the truck to be repaired if the repair is covered under the warranty. Stick the warranty under the nose of the service manager and get the loaner. I was lucky and noticed the issue and was less than a mile from the dealer, they didn't blink and followed the warranty to the letter. Stay on them!

Mcgrathfx

Dec 19, 2019
Truck Year
Hi Will_CathVT,
"Per the extended the warranty anyone should have a loaner while waiting for the truck to be repaired if the repair is covered under the warranty." Could you direct me to this info - I've checked my extended warranty and cannot find this wording anywhere. Is it on the Ecodiesel Settlement website? Thanks, Michael

Mcgrathfx

Dec 19, 2019
Truck Year
Will_CathVT,
Thanks you for the info - dealership now has my truck and they have provided me with a rental car at no charge until truck is fixed.

ScottyDawg

Jan 25, 2020
Truck Year
Will_CathVT,
Thanks you for the info - dealership now has my truck and they have provided me with a rental car at no charge until truck is fixed.
I’m the same, dealer provided a rental no charge for my EGR failure. Truck has been there since Jan 3. Will post any updates that come along.

Toro66

Aug 28, 2017
Truck Year
Is this a classic egr fail? I last had a 16 duramax and deleted it at 500 miles so i never had any bother with reading about egr fails and such
What about the new Fed law on deleting any factory emission contr.ol now is a felony????

Toro66

Aug 28, 2017
Truck Year
Please reference the law, I would like to see it :)
The law removed the language in buying aftermarket delete kits and tuners “for off road use only” it started last June or July of 2019 no factory emissions systems can be removed