• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

EGR Recall

Theo Breimer

Mar 11, 2019
Truck Year
So I received a letter today from FCA advising that the parts are available for the EGR recall and urging me to make an appointment. My only hesitation is I have a GDE tune which I'm afraid they may over-write with a factory tune when they do the recall. Has anyone else been through this and can you offer any suggestions as to how I can prevent the dealership from flashing the ECM back to factory settings?
I'll appreciate whatever advice that can be offered...
Thanks,

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
You could lock up the OBD port or talk to your service manager and ask not to flash. But there are no assurances even with good communication. If I were in your shoes I would program a backup ECM to use for dealer visits if you don't want to lose your GDE tune.

I'm assuming you have an older tune because with GDE's latest offering you can switch between stock and tuned with the programming tool so no worries there.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I would ignore the recall before I jeopardized my 2019 GDE tune.
1.Many kept their stock ECM to swap out before dealer visits and then reinstall after dealer work done.
2.You could get the work done and trust them to follow your request to not flash. (kinda iffy there)
3.You could get the work done and IF they flash your ECM buy the new GDE tune.

Theo Breimer

Mar 11, 2019
Truck Year
You could lock up the OBD port or talk to your service manager and ask not to flash. But there are no assurances even with good communication. If I were in your shoes I would program a backup ECM to use for dealer visits if you don't want to lose your GDE tune.

I'm assuming you have an older tune because with GDE's latest offering you can switch between stock and tuned with the programming tool so no worries there.
Thanks for your response. I have an older engine tune where they sent me a reprogrammed ECM and I returned the original, but the transmission tune that I got a little later included the programmer. I don't suppose it could also be used to reprogram the engine tune could it?

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
No I don't think that'll work. You may give GDE a call and see if they would discount a new tune seeing how you are an existing customer. Before the EPA neutered them, it was only $50 to reflash the ECM if it was ever written over. Not the case anymore, but GDE may work with you, not sure.

4. Find a used GDE tuned ECM if yours gets flashed over.

Theo Breimer

Mar 11, 2019
Truck Year
No I don't think that'll work. You may give GDE a call and see if they would discount a new tune seeing how you are an existing customer. Before the EPA neutered them, it was only $50 to reflash the ECM if it was ever written over. Not the case anymore, but GDE may work with you, not sure.

4. Find a used GDE tuned ECM if yours gets flashed over.
Thanks for your help. I did contact GDE and they pointed me to a tune update for existing customers on their website. it's still $50 for an update if the dealer reflashes.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
That is great news. I thought it would be higher than that to update. Although it won't be your same PRE EPA tune, I've read good things about their current programming.

Theo Breimer

Mar 11, 2019
Truck Year
Actually I checked with them and they confirmed that since I'm in Canada we're not bound by EPA and I will in fact get the original tune.

TooClose Racing

Dec 20, 2017
Truck Year
Not Listed
My dealer says that I do not have to install the new software updates (ie AIM #2 FIX) when I do my EGR replacement. I'm waiting for updated EGR to arrive to schedule my appointment. She said the only downside is that I will continue to get reminders from Chrysler about doing the software updates. By the way, I was informed that there is a parking gear/indicator safety recall. Has anyone had this done?

Ecopete

Dec 27, 2019
Truck Year
I didn't get the software updates when I got my egr recall done, and I also declined the park recall. That's for when you open the door while in reverse it automatically selects park so you don't run over yourself!🤪

jsasada81

Apr 5, 2020
Truck Year
Got my EGR recall done yesterday. Have the EPA GDE tune. Put back to stock before I went in. Put back to GDE as soon as I got truck back. So far so good. No issues.

Dealer was really awesome about it. Service writer said they needed the truck all day and he put me in a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie loaner truck.
I dropped it off at 7:30am and he called back at 5pm that afternoon and said it was ready.

Work order states the following parts were used:
CSNDVB12AA - EGR Bushing
CSNDVB11AB - EGR Cooler
68163848AB - Coolant

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Got my EGR recall done yesterday. Have the EPA GDE tune. Put back to stock before I went in. Put back to GDE as soon as I got truck back. So far so good. No issues.

Dealer was really awesome about it. Service writer said they needed the truck all day and he put me in a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie loaner truck.
I dropped it off at 7:30am and he called back at 5pm that afternoon and said it was ready.

Work order states the following parts were used:
CSNDVB12AA - EGR Bushing
CSNDVB11AB - EGR Cooler
68163848AB - Coolant

Good to hear it went smooth!