• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engine Block Heater

Mharrison

Jun 17, 2015
Truck Year
Hence why people with short commutes have so many issues. One it's high soot points then you have 8 gallons of frozen fluid that is only thawed by your coolant lines. How long does it take for a 160-200 degree line to thaw an 8 gallon tank? Sure bet it exceeds a 5 mile commute where the truck won't even see operating temp
The SCR doesn't really have anything to do with soot content though that is handled in the DPF filter SCR mostly just drops your no2 levels

Jun 1, 2015
Truck Year
Yeah. I was thinking I read in the manual, or the guys at the shop told me there wasn't any reason to heat the DEF. That the only think you needed to make sure of was not to fill it full. Because then your looking at a tank bust upon freezing.

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Yeah. I was thinking I read in the manual, or the guys at the shop told me there wasn't any reason to heat the DEF. That the only think you needed to make sure of was not to fill it full. Because then your looking at a tank bust upon freezing.

Tank burst - Have you heard/seen this scenario? I find this hard to believe 1) being its a plastic tank that would expand and 2) I don't think it's possible to fill it so full there's no room left for expansion.

I'm not busting your chops, I just can't buy into that theory I guess.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Yeah if tank burst was a serious possibility it'd have a fail safe to only ever be 3/4 full or it'd be a terrible consumer case. I never thought twice about a tank burst scenario. My only concern regarding the DEF was the amount of time it takes to thaw

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
I have a block heater, came with the truck and along with the cord. We had weather -27C and whatever the wind chill factor. So, far, I never had to plug in. Just before leaving, I use the remote, and within seconds it start up.

I suspect, having the engine covers, keeps the engine a bit warmer, especially if it windy.

So far, it start up, very close, like any other gas vehicle I had. I was expecting long waits, but it hasn't happen.

Since I have put in a tank full of Shell v-power, it hasn't been cold like that, but they claim, it would help in starting. Time will tell.

Never had any indication of DEF freezing or any warnings. Only filled up once at Flying J truck stop. Added 10.00 worth, it gave me 3/4 tank full. At 18000 KM, it now reads a little below half. When it really cold, the level drops a bit, then after warm up, back to normal level indicator.

Allen Peter

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
Book says plug it in a couple hours before you need to start engine , anyone leaving them plugged in all night?

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Book says plug it in a couple hours before you need to start engine , anyone leaving them plugged in all night?

A lot use a timer and have it kick on a few hours before. That's the most efficient way..

marcm

Dec 5, 2015
Truck Year
First off, my apologies if this is already a topic. I did a little research before starting my own thread.

I'm not sure if my Laramie Limited came stock with a engine block heater. Like many dealers, there sales people and mechanics were not able to show me where. Can anyone make a suggestion on brand and recommend temperatures in which it should be plugged in. Thank you!

From what I was told all eco's have a block heater but depending on where it's purchased it won't always come with the block heater cord but you can get one at most auto part stores. I'm in northern ontario and get a lot of -30 and colder weather and barely ever plug mine in and have not had any trouble starting but to be on safe side -20 would be a good plug in temp.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
I keep mine plugged in all of the time. No sense having to heat the oil and coolant from air temp every time you jump in. Plug ins at Work if it's under 50 degrees I plug it in. Electricity vs fuel for engine warm up. Pick your poison

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
When the garage starts getting below 50F at night, I plug it into the mechanical timer set for about 3 hrs before I leave for work. No problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Also on a side note, my mentality is that considering coolant lines are ran through the DEF tank I figure any time it's below 13F and the def is starting to freeze having the coolant warmer to keep that tank partially thawed can only be beneficial.

Bigjima

Sep 8, 2016
Truck Year
Mine was working great this morning 9 degrees here in NC.

20170109_060939.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

justlucky

May 15, 2016
Truck Year
Kat's 28500 18/3 Gauge, 5' Straight in Replacement Cord &Park Power by Marinco 150BBI.RV RV On-Board Charger Inlet (15-Amp, 125-Volt, Black)

I picked up both from Amazon. I cut up a 4 inch piece of very thin maybe 1/8 of a inch sheet metal to put behind the plastic on my bumper, to make it the outlet more secure when I put in or pull out the cord. I wanted a little more beef behind the plastic. You will need to cut the original male plug from the Kat’s heater cord, be careful here as it was a tight fit. Then wire it with the Marinco "outlet", the Marinco takes a 1 7/8 inch hole to insert it into the truck, and I had a hard time finding this bit, I went to Lowes and home depot and they did not have it. If you do not have one I suggest you pick one up from amazon. The metal ring that screws from the back of the marinco unit to squeeze it in tight I had to tighten first and then I predrilled into the metal so I could inset little screws, they also will perform as an anti spin for the metal ring in the back. This job was done with the credit to the people on this and other forms shareing there ideas. I really wanted to put it in the back, to keep it away from the rain and snow. But job that was way too much for me

Attachments

• heater1.jpg
    heater1.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 39
  • heater2.jpg
    heater2.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

justlucky

May 15, 2016
Truck Year
I ran the heater for two hours , and I am not sure if it works, here is a picture of the temps, what do you think.
temo1.jpg

Cmartin

May 13, 2017
Truck Year
My truck didn't come with a block heater cord, but the heater is there ready to be connected. First winter I owned it was the mildest on record and I ddint miss it at all. This year was a different story! I never want to hear that diesel fire up at 2 degrees again! Sounded like the devil was being tortured in my driveway! Lol. I'll be installing the cable and using it this winter.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
My truck didn't come with a block heater cord, but the heater is there ready to be connected. First winter I owned it was the mildest on record and I ddint miss it at all. This year was a different story! I never want to hear that diesel fire up at 2 degrees again! Sounded like the devil was being tortured in my driveway! Lol. I'll be installing the cable and using it this winter.

You think that's bad, try running a diesel on gasoline. :D

Bri

Dec 27, 2017
Truck Year
I'm in Missouri and the temp has be 12 degrees or less. I brought the block heater cord and installed it the yesterday. My question is once it's plugged in what should temp?

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
With an ambient temp of 12 you might see coolant temps of 45 or so when you start up your truck

Bri

Dec 27, 2017
Truck Year
Ok, just by turning the ignition key on and checking my coolant temp is 100 and the oil temp is 104 with the outside temp being -4

Attachments

• pic.pdf
    291.1 KB · Views: 9