• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

engine failure @ 148000 miles.

dodgeforlife

Mar 28, 2016
Truck Year
FWIW, I ended up getting a cummins. I have a 2016 ram 3500 now. I am still not sure whether there is a real concern or not with the ecodiesel, but I am getting 23 MPG with my cummins thru 8k miles, and that is perfectly acceptable for me.
Thats great news on the MPG. I have a 2001 ram 2500 diesel and get 21-22 on the freeway around town it gets 15-16.
I almost got another 2500 diesel but I needed a little better fuel mileage so I went with the ecodiesel, hope that was the right choice.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Thats great news on the MPG. I have a 2001 ram 2500 diesel and get 21-22 on the freeway around town it gets 15-16.
I almost got another 2500 diesel but I needed a little better fuel mileage so I went with the ecodiesel, hope that was the right choice.

Overall, they're pretty good trucks. Welcome to the site!

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
FWIW, I ended up getting a cummins. I have a 2016 ram 3500 now. I am still not sure whether there is a real concern or not with the ecodiesel, but I am getting 23 MPG with my cummins thru 8k miles, and that is perfectly acceptable for me.

Welcome!

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
May I quote? Because nobody knows. But "contact d&j diesel to have them bulletproof your ecodiesel and to see what they do/did" ~trade secret~

Honestly unknown why Shawn is so secretive of whatever he did

CaptainMal

Oct 26, 2015
Truck Year
In the past week I cam close to trading my Ecodiesel for a new Cummins. Stopped because of the hideous trade price for my EcoD. It looks and runs perfect at 42K. The Cummins would also take lots of work to make it mine. Things like cap, wiring and antenna for amateur radio, running boards, window shades, hood shade, extra fuel tank and more take a lot of money, time and work.

Now the new Cummins was a manual transmission. That's a big bonus to me as I flat out hate automatics. Unfortunately the 15K oil change is done with TWO expensive fuel filters at the same interval. Hideous placement of the oil filter to make it near inaccessible without removing the front tire or putting it on a lift were big factors in why I stopped the idea. Ram/Cummins sure screwed up the self-service work and expense on the 6.7 compared to my old 5.9.

Ted

Oct 19, 2016
Truck Year
Ok I am new here and have read through this thread.
So Shawn said that he was lucky that he didn't float the valves and ruin his motor because of the HPFP gear slipped on the cam right?
Well from the video that was posted it looked to me that the timing gear for the cam was behind the HPFP gear. If that is the case unless the cam gear slipped with the HPFP gear there is no way that he could float the valves in the motor. The timing on the cam would still be the same, not that it would not sound really bad because the fuel timing would be off. But he would not float the valves. Just my 2 cents on it all.
If you get a chance, look at his video. He spins the cam gear by hand, behind the locked down HPFP gear.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Although this type of failure has occurred its extremely Rare, I did weld my sprocket to the Gear this will aid in stopping the drive sprocket form spinning, but it will NOT stop the bolt form loosening, I do think this will aid in NOT allowing the Cam gear to slip.

I promote OAs on any Engines and The EDs no different.

You can see My Sodium when up in June but drop in Aug, this showed it was just a fluke (Happens)
Your ED will show signs of elevate wear /contaminates levels before it Pukes in many cases. That's NOT saying you can catch ALL imminent failures.

Attachments

• 1500 ECODIESEL 15 Blackstone oil83116.pdf
    23.2 KB · Views: 6

cevans

Nov 1, 2015
Truck Year
If you get a chance, look at his video. He spins the cam gear by hand, behind the locked down HPFP gear.

Unfortunately Shawn's overall posts, actions and claims across different forums called into question the reliability of the information in his videos and posts. Sadly he is no longer with us, but I personally am not convinced that video you reference is completely transparent about what is going on.