• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engine failure after computer reflash.

Terry Upchurch

Jul 24, 2019
Truck Year
Three and half weeks after computer reflash I had engine failure on my 2015 1500 Ram ecodiesel. My truck is still in the shop having engine replacement. Just wondering if anyone else encountered this problem?

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
It is truly unbelievable to me that FCA rolled this engine out to market. Clearly it was a mistake that is costing them millions.

My heart aches every time I read a new post by a new member such as this one. Unfortunately, these posts are far too common.

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
Three and half weeks after computer reflash I had engine failure on my 2015 1500 Ram ecodiesel. My truck is still in the shop having engine replacement. Just wondering if anyone else encountered this problem?
so sorry to hear that. Are they covering it under warranty?? What caused the failure, did they say?

Terry Upchurch

Jul 24, 2019
Truck Year
so sorry to hear that. Are they covering it under warranty?? What caused the failure, did they say?
It is not covered by warranty due to mileage. It has 121000 miles on it. No word on cause of failure at this time.

cds13ca

Jun 19, 2019
Truck Year
wow, I hate to ask what this is gonna cost... that's brutal. :cry:

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
It is not covered by warranty due to mileage. It has 121000 miles on it. No word on cause of failure at this time.
How is it NOT covered? With the AEM comes cash and extended warranty from date of reflash, no matter the current mileage, that's the whole incentive to taking the truck in....

John Jensen

Mar 22, 2016
Truck Year
How is it NOT covered? With the AEM comes cash and extended warranty from date of reflash, no matter the current mileage, that's the whole incentive to taking the truck in....
The AEM extended warranty is very specific on what it covers. It does not re-warranty the engine.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Consent Decree Appendix E
Extended Emission Warranty
Subject to standard limitations that must be identified to Eligible Owners and Eligible
Lessees, which may set forth exclusions like accident, abuse, neglect, or installation of noncertified parts, and applicable existing warranty provisions that will remain in effect, the
Extended Warranty shall cover the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair the items listed
below.
• Catalysts
o Diesel Oxidation Catalyst / Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Assembly
o Selective Catalyst Reduction (SCR) Catalyst
• Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) System
o DEF Injector
o DEF Injector Controller
o DEF Storage Tank
o DEF Delivery Lines
o DEF Concentration Sensor (2016 Model Year Ram 1500 and Jeep Grand
Cherokee only)
o DEF Supply Module, Pump, & Temperature Sensor Unit
• Parts of the Fuel System
o Low Pressure Fuel Pump Module & Level Unit
o Fuel Injectors
o Fuel Rail
o High Pressure Fuel Line
o High Pressure Injection Pump & Regulator Unit
• Parts of the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System
o EGR Cooler Tubes
o EGR Cooler
o EGR Valve
o EGR Temperature Sensor
o EGR Cooler bypass actuator
• Other Sensors That Are Covered
o Oxygen Sensors
o NOx Sensors
o Intake Manifold Pressure Sensor
o Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor
o Fuel/Water Separator Sensor
o Intake Swirl Actuator Sensor
o Engine Camshaft Position Sensor
o Engine Crankshaft Position Sensor
o Particulate Matter Sensor
o Mass Airflow Sensor
o Boost Pressure Sensor
o Crankcase Pressure Sensor
o Exhaust Manifold Pressure Sensor
APPENDIX E TO CONSENT DECREE
MDL No. 2777 EMC
Case 3:17-md-02777-EMC Document 484-1 Filed 01/10/19 Page 207 of 224
o Throttle Valve
o Exhaust Temperature Sensor
o DPF Differential Pressure Sensor
• Engine Control Module (Computer)
• Transmission Control Module (Computer)/Valve Body & Solenoids
• Throttle Valve
• Cylinder Head Assembly, Including Valves, Springs, Valve Spring Keepers, Valve Seats,
Cam Bearing Caps, and Manifold Studs (Camshaft and other components of the assembly
are not covered)
• Engine Thermostat/housing/gasket
• The turbocharger system including all related hoses and pipes, all sensors and actuators.
Additionally, the Extended Warranty shall cover the cost of any OBD Diagnostic Scan
for malfunctions that trigger the OBD Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL), regardless of whether
the malfunction is attributable to a part that is covered under the Extended Warranty

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Looks like the engine is pretty much covered by the above posted document. What am I missing? Crankshaft bearings?

solstar

Oct 3, 2015
Truck Year
I got the VO8 recall Upgrade on 07 May 2019. Since then it has been in the shop 5 times for a total of 110 and counting days (it is currently in shop). I have sent a "buyback packet" to the recall lawyers under the terms of the Consent Decree, (what all parties legally agreed to do) Paragraph 45 section d (lines 113-116). It basically says that if vehicle has been in for warranty covered repairs for a "cumulative thirty days" (with a few exceptions) that FCA has to buy the vehicle back under the 'Lemon law' under "NADA Clean Retail" formulation.

solstar

Oct 3, 2015
Truck Year
There are TWO extended warranty conditions, from the date you get the VO8 Approved Emissions Modification. 1- ten years, 120,000 miles. 2- four years, 48,000 miles. Which ever is greater. They both are running at the same time. If your truck has 120,000 miles on it then the "four years, 48,000 miles covers you. The START date is when you have the AEM recall flash done.