• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engine Failure - Warranty Claim - DENIED

GlockandRoll

Jul 3, 2018
Truck Year
Why would anyone run 10K miles between changes with as many issues as these motors have had?
I empathize and hope it gets resolved, but it's not exactly new, and you kind of asked for it by waiting that long.

mike@hangar46

Oct 2, 2022
Truck Year
Why would anyone run 10K miles between changes with as many issues as these motors have had?
I empathize and hope it gets resolved, but it's not exactly new, and you kind of asked for it by waiting that long.
actually I change oil at 5000 mile intervals...I just couldn't figure out how to change the oil mileage monitor on the console...now know how.

CAVEMANN

Jan 5, 2020
Truck Year
Keep an eye on the oil life monitor, I changed my oil, reset the monitor, the meter showed 100% oil life when I reset it after the oil change, and at about 2000 miles it flashed the change oil soon and showed mileage as being nearly 10 k since reset, , so I think tere are gremlins in the electronics.

HomeSlice780

Sep 16, 2021
Truck Year
Chrysler plays games. I am in a battle with them right now. I have a broken passenger side motor mount and they denied the repair because I have a lift kit. Sorry, but the motor mount has nothing to do with lift kit. Plus, they said the passenger side motor mount is no longer manufactured and is unavailable. Whaaaaat? The truck is only a year old and is still being built on the assembly line, and they are claiming the motor mount is no longer available.

bedhead

May 3, 2023
Truck Year
Not everyone is on the forums all the time and paying attention to the rate of engine failures due to the bearing issue. I only come on the forums when something goes wrong and historically that's been more about the EGR or coolant issues. The dealership isn't really pushing people to change it earlier so while your point is good, people don't know what they don't know. Also, if you have 60K-70K miles, is the damage already done at this point? Hard to know...

Ramman1

Jun 7, 2019
Truck Year
Not an ideal first post, but I am hoping someone here will have some advice that will help me out.

My 2017 Ram with 47,000 miles that I bought new had the bottom end go out on Sunday while driving flat on the freeway at 65mph. The dealer said the main bearing on the connector rod went out, but I don't think they have taken the motor apart to confirm yet. They filed a warranty request to Chrysler to authorize a new motor Monday and today (Tuesday) I was told Chrysler denied the warranty request.The reason cited was that I had changed the oil at an interval of 10,170 miles for my second oil change which exceeded the 10,000 mile max interval. All oil changes were done at the dealer and all but that one were under the 10k mile interval. I was/am shocked to say the least that 170 miles over would even be considered as voiding the warranty.

The service manager does not seem interested in putting much effort in appealing the decision, but she indicated she would talk to her regional rep. I called the Chrysler Customer Care line and a friendly woman said she would look into my case and get back to me.

Does anyone have any experience appealing a warranty claim denial or have any helpful advice otherwise? The dealer threw out a figure of $28k for the repair. I cannot imagine having to foot that bill for a motor that clearly has an issue unrelated to my oil change.

Orion
Stellantis has given up on ED owners completely. I’ve been denied claims too, they simply dont care. I’ve appealed to no avail. You’re screwed. Although 28k is insane for a replacement. You can get it done for less than 10k. Buy the engine yourself and find a diesel garage that will do it. A lot of diesel garages don’t touch ED s though for the obvious reasons you’re there in the first place. I’ve got 192k on mine and I wonder every time I get behind the wheel If today is the day.
never use anything other than T6 oil.

Ramman1

Jun 7, 2019
Truck Year
Not an ideal first post, but I am hoping someone here will have some advice that will help me out.

My 2017 Ram with 47,000 miles that I bought new had the bottom end go out on Sunday while driving flat on the freeway at 65mph. The dealer said the main bearing on the connector rod went out, but I don't think they have taken the motor apart to confirm yet. They filed a warranty request to Chrysler to authorize a new motor Monday and today (Tuesday) I was told Chrysler denied the warranty request.The reason cited was that I had changed the oil at an interval of 10,170 miles for my second oil change which exceeded the 10,000 mile max interval. All oil changes were done at the dealer and all but that one were under the 10k mile interval. I was/am shocked to say the least that 170 miles over would even be considered as voiding the warranty.

The service manager does not seem interested in putting much effort in appealing the decision, but she indicated she would talk to her regional rep. I called the Chrysler Customer Care line and a friendly woman said she would look into my case and get back to me.

Does anyone have any experience appealing a warranty claim denial or have any helpful advice otherwise? The dealer threw out a figure of $28k for the repair. I cannot imagine having to foot that bill for a motor that clearly has an issue unrelated to my oil change.

Orion
Stellantis has given up completely on ED owners.

Dec 14, 2015
Truck Year
The dealer I use has a very good EcoD mechanic that I am able to speak with in person whenever I want, I lean toward the smaller dealers as they still need their customers for survival. The mechanic advised me very early on to have oil changes done at 8K miles and change the fuel filter at each oil change as diesel here in U.S.A. is not as pure as in Europe. I am at 108K miles with no engine issues and plan on keeping mine for a while yet. I did have all the recall issues done including one on the EGR system, there was also a second update available to correct the first reprogram done to satisfy the E.P.A. that helped tremendously with the lag off idle and D.E.F. usage. The mechanic also warned me early on to not let oil changes go overdue as there would be issues with any engine warranty claim. 7.5 years later I am still a happy EcoDiesel owned.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Nothing wrong with 8K service...Although it does not change the Hero/Zero Status. Early lube service will extend the life of any Hero engine it will not change the Zero status of the VM 3.0.

boltsjunky

Feb 1, 2024
Truck Year
Orion and others,

I’ve been dealing with a similar issue in my 2020 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. Driving home from work, low oil pressure light, clank and knocking noises, into limp mode.

Had truck towed to nearest dealership, told me it has complete engine failure and ran out of oil. I have video of oil pouring out of engine at time of incident. This was Dec 16th, 2023.

Fast forward to now, Feb 1st, 2024. Warranty claim denied due to maintenance record not being under 10,000 mile on oil changes. I’ve always followed the change oil indicator light and booked appointment as soon as possible (all at ram dealerships). Nothing has been noted in maintenance records. Everything is in the “green”.

Curious if you have any recommendations, thanks fellas.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
WOW....I have to ask NO one at the Dealership made you Aware of this engine service requirements? Also what's the 2020 manual requirement on service?

boltsjunky

Feb 1, 2024
Truck Year
WOW....I have to ask NO one at the Dealership made you Aware of this engine service requirements? Also what's the 2020 manual requirement on service?
Manual says no more than 10,000miles or 1 year. All oil changes were done within 10,500 miles. Most recent oil change was scheduled prior to 10,000 miles but the dealership was booked out 2 weeks. Was at 10.2k when engine failed.

Actually the opposite, I was told after the first few oil changes around 6,000 miles that I was doing them early and wait for indicator light. Unfortunately, this was told verbally. Nothing in writing, so it’s all hearsay.

Vehicle is currently at 56k miles. All commuter miles.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Yep.. VM 3.0 has IMO the worst failure rate in the last 20+ years , I think it has now surpassed the Ford 6.0 failure ratio. That why You ALWAYS Register your vehicles at the official site and update your service records... If Dealership did the service, it should be record here. https://www.mopar.com/ramtrucks/en-us.html

1706813937533.png

boltsjunky

Feb 1, 2024
Truck Year

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
You can prove the early service? Don't you have some type of CC statement? Did you do LOF yourself?

boltsjunky

Feb 1, 2024
Truck Year
You can prove the early service? Don't you have some type of CC statement? Did you do LOF yourself?
Everything was done at the dealership, I have maintenance records. They’re denying because oil change was done barely over 10k miles. Although, nothing was ever noted in maintenance records as far as damage. Seems a bit like an easy button to get me to roll over and fork out money for an engine replacement.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Yep...and than they will try and tired you out.. Do you have any record of early service... Yes, you have to be extremely diligent with this engine. It's well known of its rotating mass failures over the last 8 9 years....

boltsjunky

Feb 1, 2024
Truck Year
Yep...and than they will try and tired you out.. Do you have any record of early service... Yes, you have to be extremely diligent with this engine. It's well known of its rotating mass failures over the last 8 9 years....
Yes I have records of all service including early ones. Also, all is documented on my profile on Ram.

Always been with Ram, bums me out their customer service through warranty process has been so tough.

I’m really trying to gather evidence in attempt to do some type of appeal. They still have yet to open the engine and actually tell me what went wrong. They don’t know where leak came from, chalking it up to maintenance records. Makes me sick.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Its spun Rod or Main Bearing like the 0ther 40K+ failures. It's VM / Fiat that/was the problem, Many at FCA Corp promoted, don't bring that EUR engine to NA, it was developed and designed for 3200LBS Euro Cady's that never made it to production. and when you get that engine replaced Sell BC the new one will have the same mortality rate. IMO you did NOT do the lengthy research before purchasing, it was well known back to 2016 it was hero/Zero Status. Take this event and learn form it. Don't get sick, get smart.... You will need a case manager to reopen the claim....and fight.

Ramman1

Jun 7, 2019
Truck Year
I’ve been reading about these failures for years now, and how FCA uses the 10k mark as an excuse. And then I get into my 2016 with 204k on it and wonder if this is my last trip.