• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engine oil Bypass filter

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
Is anyone running a bypass oil filter on their truck? If so, what system are you using?

I would like to use an amsoil bypass system, but it looks like they are primarily made for the powerstroke and duramax crowd.

Pooky

Jul 11, 2017
Truck Year
I called Amsoil and the tech dept said to use the universal system. I need to find a competent shop / installer before I do it. I am comfortable doing most things but this is pretty critical to have it done right! FS2500 makes a kit but it's double the money!!

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
Thanks, my original inquiry was about my second week of ownership; before I learned of abnormally high engine failure rates.

I have since decided that extended drain intervals are not appropriate for this shit engine and so the added expense of a bypass filter system would not make sense.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I have since decided that extended drain intervals are not appropriate for this shit engine and so the added expense of a bypass filter system would not make sense.

How many miles are on yours? Have you experienced a lot of problems to have that opinion, or just by reading the forums?

I would consider trading it in if you're unhappy, life's to short to keep something that you don't like. :)

Pooky

Jul 11, 2017
Truck Year
How many miles are on yours? Have you experienced a lot of problems to have that opinion, or just by reading the forums?

I would consider trading it in if you're unhappy, life's to short to keep something that you don't like. :)
Boostn the ecodiesel has won a plenty of rewards, plus Gale Banks loves the engine and uses it for military projects. After many years in the motorcycle industry stock stuff is usually very reliable. It's when people screw with stuff that typically causes the problem! The very few that have gremlins are the ones that make the most noise. Any emissions laden diesel makes me question the longevity. I hope to get Banks to address the longevity question!!

Capt Tim

May 7, 2017
Truck Year
Agree. I read the history of development. It's a NATO engine designed to jackrabbit around the East Front of Europe. I report no issues; perhaps as your suggestion Bootsn, my engine is still completely stock. To be sure, I've tested it - 15k+ pulling 7k Toyhauler so maybe staying stock is legit.

Attachments

• IMG_7184.JPG
    IMG_7184.JPG
    424.4 KB · Views: 28

Pooky

Jul 11, 2017
Truck Year
Agree. I read the history of development. It's a NATO engine designed to jackrabbit around the East Front of Europe. I report no issues; perhaps as your suggestion Bootsn, my engine is still completely stock. To be sure, I've tested it - 15k+ pulling 7k Toyhauler so maybe staying stock is legit.
My 16 Limited has been perfect also. The only things I have done is tried to get premium diesel at cenex when possible. I have 11k on Pooky (my truck, it was a smart A nickname my lil brother gave my Dad who recently passed). Oil changed at 2k to get break in oil out at dealer and rotella t6 went in. 9 k Amsoil sig series 5-40 went in and there was some nice improvements. 10.3k I put on a Banks cold air kit (filter and resonance tube) and that generated results also. I have always cooled down turbo, warmed it up before getting aggressive on the throttle. Every fill get Amsoil fuel and cetane treatment! I carry a bag in the box with the goodies in it! My wife calls it Pooky's diaper bag!! Yes there is what she calls its baby blanket in the back also to put under certain items like lumber so they don't slide around while driving. Yes I am just a little neurotic with it but I want it to last. Call Nick D at Banks customer service and he will hook you up! Tell him Scott from MN sent you. If I get reliability info regarding deleting emissions from Gale Banks I will post or provide a link! Drive safe! P.S I still have not went through a Regen cycle??

mykee50

Jul 1, 2017
Truck Year
You have went through multiple regens you just haven't had a dash notification.
Is there a regen log in the computer to look this up? I've only seen white smoke once that I've noticed.

mykee50

Jul 1, 2017
Truck Year
My 16 Limited has been perfect also. The only things I have done is tried to get premium diesel at cenex when possible. I have 11k on Pooky (my truck, it was a smart A nickname my lil brother gave my Dad who recently passed). Oil changed at 2k to get break in oil out at dealer and rotella t6 went in. 9 k Amsoil sig series 5-40 went in and there was some nice improvements. 10.3k I put on a Banks cold air kit (filter and resonance tube) and that generated results also. I have always cooled down turbo, warmed it up before getting aggressive on the throttle. Every fill get Amsoil fuel and cetane treatment! I carry a bag in the box with the goodies in it! My wife calls it Pooky's diaper bag!! Yes there is what she calls its baby blanket in the back also to put under certain items like lumber so they don't slide around while driving. Yes I am just a little neurotic with it but I want it to last. Call Nick D at Banks customer service and he will hook you up! Tell him Scott from MN sent you. If I get reliability info regarding deleting emissions from Gale Banks I will post or provide a link! Drive safe! P.S I still have not went through a Regen cycle??

I have the same truck as you, 2016 Limited EcoDiesel. I bought it used 6 months ago with 11K miles. The ex-owner was a mechanic and probably knew about the potential problems to come. It now has 13K+ on it. It's had 2 oil/filter changes so far. The ex-owner put Pennzoil Platinum EURO L full synthetic 5W-30 in it. It is made from natural gas and is dexos approved specially formulated for diesel engines. It had 1/2 a tank of DEF when I bought it. I finally filled it at 1/4 tank. They don't use much do they? I looked at the oil the other day and noticed it's black as tar so I am going to change it. Should I go to Amsoil 5W-40 and start adding cetane treatment at every fill-up? Or stay with the Pennzoil and just add the treatment? I live in the PNW so it's usually a pretty mild climate.

Anyway, with all the doom and gloom about this engine on the forums I'm kind of freaked out about keeping this truck. I love it. It's like driving a Cadillac and I'd like to keep it. But it's a gamble, always in the back of my mind.

And just a side note. I heard about the GM/Fiat partnership on this Italian engine so I checked my oil fill cap. I says GM on the underside. lol.

Thanks in advance for any advise you guy's can throw my way, Mike, Issaquah, WA

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
They don't use much do they? I looked at the oil the other day and noticed it's black as tar so I am going to change it.

Diesel is bad for that. Fresh oil will be black after a few minutes of running. I wouldn't let that scare you.

Capt Tim

May 7, 2017
Truck Year
We used the say in the Navy, "Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow; Black oil makes the Diesel go."

Njensen

Nov 29, 2016
Truck Year
Yes, the oil will turn black on all engines gas or diesel, however sooner on a Diesel engine. EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) is a huge contributor to the rather early visual pulsation of the oil seen in our Ecodiesel (and other modern Diesel engines) despite the large oil sump of 10.5 liters. I observed the same visual pollution during my first 3 oil changes that was done every 5000 miles, wherafter i had the EGR deleted (EGR delete by company GDE). After the EGR delete, my oil change interval has slowly been increased from 5000 to 7500 with fairly clean oil, even after 5000 miles. I had some oil samples tested and test confirmes all parameters well inside limits and even suggested to increase the interval, I will however maintained the 7500 miles interval. The Engine / truck has currently 62000 miles.

Pooky

Jul 11, 2017
Truck Year
I have the same truck as you, 2016 Limited EcoDiesel. I bought it used 6 months ago with 11K miles. The ex-owner was a mechanic and probably knew about the potential problems to come. It now has 13K+ on it. It's had 2 oil/filter changes so far. The ex-owner put Pennzoil Platinum EURO L full synthetic 5W-30 in it. It is made from natural gas and is dexos approved specially formulated for diesel engines. It had 1/2 a tank of DEF when I bought it. I finally filled it at 1/4 tank. They don't use much do they? I looked at the oil the other day and noticed it's black as tar so I am going to change it. Should I go to Amsoil 5W-40 and start adding cetane treatment at every fill-up? Or stay with the Pennzoil and just add the treatment? I live in the PNW so it's usually a pretty mild climate.

Anyway, with all the doom and gloom about this engine on the forums I'm kind of freaked out about keeping this truck. I love it. It's like driving a Cadillac and I'd like to keep it. But it's a gamble, always in the back of my mind.

And just a side note. I heard about the GM/Fiat partnership on this Italian engine so I checked my oil fill cap. I says GM on the underside. lol.

Thanks in advance for any advise you guy's can throw my way, Mike, Issaquah, WA

Mike I am jealous!!! I use to live in Bellevue and really miss the Seattle area!! For starters the truck is bullet proof! I spoke to Banks power and Gale Banks reputation is everything to him! He selected the engine because it is over-engineered! He made intake changes and some electronics and passed many grueling test for NATO and US Military. The military use it in various special operation vehicles. It is a great motor and has a very low failure rate and those are due to abuse or poor assembly! I have zero concerns except for diesel emission crap!
Regarding the oil, diesel make the oil dirty with soot ( because of EGR mostly) its nature of the beast. The oil is designed for it. Every 7k with a good oil and filter should be very safe with normal use. The Spec Has Changed on the oil!! Early 16 they switched to 5w40 from 5w-30. Enjoy, take care of it and it will last a very long time!

mykee50

Jul 1, 2017
Truck Year
I called Amsoil and the tech dept said to use the universal system. I need to find a competent shop / installer before I do it. I am comfortable doing most things but this is pretty critical to have it done right! FS2500 makes a kit but it's double the money!!

Do these products void the engine warranty in any way?

Pooky

Jul 11, 2017
Truck Year
Mopar makes a bypass system for the cummins. The Moss Magnusson warranty act states that there has to be a "direct cause and effect". In other words if I change the stereo and my crank goes out, they can't say since I changed the vehicle my warranty is void. BUT so much is determined by the service writer and shop manager! Talk to your shop manager and if they will install one and state it will not void roll with it and get it in writing like and email. You probably have many shops in your area find one that will do it! A properly setup oil bypass filter is great for the longevity of your engine and oil!

Pooky

Jul 11, 2017
Truck Year
Yes, the oil will turn black on all engines gas or diesel, however sooner on a Diesel engine. EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) is a huge contributor to the rather early visual pulsation of the oil seen in our Ecodiesel (and other modern Diesel engines) despite the large oil sump of 10.5 liters. I observed the same visual pollution during my first 3 oil changes that was done every 5000 miles, wherafter i had the EGR deleted (EGR delete by company GDE). After the EGR delete, my oil change interval has slowly been increased from 5000 to 7500 with fairly clean oil, even after 5000 miles. I had some oil samples tested and test confirmes all parameters well inside limits and even suggested to increase the interval, I will however maintained the 7500 miles interval. The Engine / truck has currently 62000 miles.
Have you done a full emissions delete also ( no def). What differences have you noticed? Engine temps, mileage? Thanks

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year

So you have done the GDE tune and have had oil samples done before and after the tune?
Any way you could post those results. If you can't that is ok.
Super interesting BTW.

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
The easiest way to install a bypass oil filtration system (Amsoil's is the best imo) would be to use the diagnostic port on the passenger side head for the oil supply. Or you could install an aftermarket oil cooler setup and use Amsoil's dual remote bypass system.

Pooky

Jul 11, 2017
Truck Year
The easiest way to install a bypass oil filtration system (Amsoil's is the best imo) would be to use the diagnostic port on the passenger side head for the oil supply. Or you could install an aftermarket oil cooler setup and use Amsoil's dual remote bypass system.
I agree with the amsoil system and great info!! I'm concerned with warranty compliance! I need to find a dealer that will install it and agree it does not violate warranty if there was a mechanical issue!