• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engine stopped while driving now cranks and will not start.

LMinor

Nov 2, 2021
Truck Year
I have the 2017 Ram 1500, with 60,000 miles. It just stopped and now just cranks and won’t start. Towed it to the dealer, and a couple of days later, dealer is stating that it is the complete fuel delivery system. Seems that some dirt, maybe he said from bad fuel over time has damaged the high pressure pump in the tank and all the other filters, lines and pumps. Looking at a bill of $9,400.00 to repair. According to him it happened over time.
Questions: Should this be a warranty repair? Does a 9 grand repair bill sound right/fair? Is it worth getting repaired?

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
If you have dirt in your fuel, I'd try the insurance route first. A) Vandalism or B) Bad fuel... let the insurance find out which one. Also, let the dealer show you the said "dirt".

Bill

Jan 12, 2016
Truck Year
I have the 2017 Ram 1500, with 60,000 miles. It just stopped and now just cranks and won’t start. Towed it to the dealer, and a couple of days later, dealer is stating that it is the complete fuel delivery system. Seems that some dirt, maybe he said from bad fuel over time has damaged the high pressure pump in the tank and all the other filters, lines and pumps. Looking at a bill of $9,400.00 to repair. According to him it happened over time.
Questions: Should this be a warranty repair? Does a 9 grand repair bill sound right/fair? Is it worth getting repaired?
I got the same story from the dealer two weeks ago, it was my lift pump in the tank stopped working, and no I did not let them put anew one in. Go and listen to hear if the pump runs when key is turned.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
The In tank lift pump is weak for The CP4 COV, The Cummins in tank OEM runs at 8-12 PSI, that's because the CP3 has GP and does not require the 55PSI lift pump that's in ALL ED 3.0s, I would follow Bill's advice, its common for the ED lift pump to fail, because the COV requires 55PSI+ to operate.

Just another downside to VMs 3.0 use of the CP4 WITHOUT GP design.

Manny zamora

Jul 27, 2019
Truck Year
Well looks like I am joining this club. Truck did not start, checked what I can, then had to take into the dealer. Entire fuel system, $10,907 -uck!!!!!! I have full coverage, so I put in a claim. I HOPE they will cover it!!!

Rick b1014

Mar 2, 2022
Truck Year
Me too, same boat, truck cut out now they are saying high pressure pump, fuel line, rails, injectors