• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

EPA approval of emissions components and tuning

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
You need IQ, IDash ,CTS or some app that reads Active Regens, Most EDs 200-300 mile Active cycles , it worth the Money to Buy the device.
Be careful on forums...... losts of Armchair wanna be mechanics. GDE has no device available for displaying the info.

John

Nov 13, 2015
GDE does have an option for regen notification with their tune. it shows up on the EVIC. back to my armchair. lol

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
So Is it Active, Passive, Moderate, or Aggressive? LOL all GDE tune are NO MIL/CEL ,no management So Your willing to void your warranty, contaminate your Title, And Violate the law, for a tune that when the jailbreak arrives will be exposed for mediocre. If GDE tuning was as great as YOU cheerleader promote why don't GDE procure a WIC # and take the re-tune vehicle here https://www.epa.gov/vehicle-and-fuel-emissions-testing if it pass it will be worth Millions. The NVFEL is in the same State as GDE.

No its much easier to sell under the guise deception, GDE selling practice is law breaking and just another company WHY the EPA is now tightening regulations. 2017s EDs are now tie up With the EPA....... my guess this will effect 2014-16 also .The Regs are the same if the 17 is be stopped form being released , it could be backwards compatible.

Well.... 1 of our customers has IQ stack on GDE , He claims it shows active with NO EVIC notification.

John

Nov 13, 2015
so are you a big fan of the GDE tune? lol. I don't have the tune so no warranty and/or legal issues for me. just simply stating the regen notice is an available option and it's one step above the notice you get with some other monitors because it will give you a percentage countdown of completion. perhaps it's time for you to go back to the armchair and cheer-lead (whatever that means). lol. I hope to get the tune someday. never came across a single owner who wasn't pleased with GDE across a wide variety of vehicle platforms. I believe they are number one in their field.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
First off, any company selling aftermarket tuning is taking a huge risk. GDE is just one of them.. you have to look at it from the customers perspective.. more power, more fuel mileage all comes with a price.. There's a reason power is on the table that is being released by GDE and other tuners.. reliability, emissions, both? No one knows but the engineers that built it.

It seems they make a great product from the reviews on here.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
First off, any company selling aftermarket tuning is taking a huge risk. GDE is just one of them.. you have to look at it from the customers perspective.. more power, more fuel mileage all comes with a price.. There's a reason power is on the table that is being released by GDE and other tuners.. reliability, emissions, both? No one knows but the engineers that built it.

It seems they make a great product from the reviews on here.

The Facts and Law is clear, any altering of emissions relate device or software MUST be disclose, in other words the ECMs that GDE molests MUST have the OE certification removed and a warning label posted, its the Law , Law abiding companies disclose this on ALL there Product that alter OE emissions.
So All these reviews have NO warranty, Most States on vehicle title must disclose the alter notification.
I'm sure the majority of those reviews fail to disclose the altering any time warranty is necessary, These owners robbing FCA form denying warranty by means of deception.
My Banks bullet spanks GDE power, I'm sure with GDE smokeless tunes the Nox levels are off the chart. When the Jailbreak arrives and logging will be available the GDE Tune will be No more then timing MM3s, with NO MIL/CEL nothing special.

Anyone can tune the soot away by raising the Cylinder Temps, But you just created more NOx and other gases that are odorless and More harmful then the soot. You can also tune so the soot particles are NOT tramped in the DPF these small particles are respiratory problems..

So while You think its the best thing since sliced Bread ,You are probably the biggest polluter.

All EFILive devices Make it very clear that the use on road is stickily forbidden and Breaks the law.

1 Screen
Are you the owner of this device Y/N
2, Are you the owner of the Vehicle device is being used Y/N
3, Using this device for On HWY use violates Fed/State Law Do you agree Y/N
4 By installing this device You agree to follow ALL State and FEDERAL Laws Y/N
5 If You do NOT agree Return Product Immediately for Refund. Continue
6 EFILive cannot be held liable for this device use Y/N

If you foam You Plenum on routine maintence , Use proper care You ED will last and be clean with warranty.

John

Nov 13, 2015
I see GDE has all the same disclosures. it's an in individual choice, not yours to decide for all others. if it's a moral issue, let's leave it up to the big boss above. he has no armchair to fall back on. It's really not anyone's place including yours to judge others although you seem to have a vengeance to fulfill.

let's discuss things like this in a civil and respectful manner. no need to mount the high horse.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I have NEVER seen any label removed form any ECM they molested, it seems you want every else to pay for YOUR poor Moral Judgments.
Its your Cheerleading that's horse bull.
You use words like Civil and respectful ,but support law breaking and deception, for the what ....the greater good. NOT . Judge, look in the mirror. Don't use words you don't practice, You Have Zero freedom of speech.

Vengeance.... If I seek vengeance I wouldn't be typing.
Leave it up to the Big Boss, Heeeheee. If You want to stand in Judgment GO FOR IT, But don't put me in the ranks of you just because we bleed the same.

Any owner Judge for themselves Your just PO BC someone has disclosed the facts. Heck if the owners Knows the complete acts of what he's doing its fine By Me. I'm sure many choose NOT to Buy products knowing in advance the conditions it may or may NOT create.

John

Nov 13, 2015
for the third time, no tune here. no poor morals. you have mentioned you defeated the egr by unplugging it. I'm okay with that cause it's your choice. I won't judge, but I do offer an opinion rather than present my opinion as factual. so in my opinion you are starting to embarrass yourself. maybe you could start your own topic on tuning. my apologies to the original poster in this thread. I won't add anymore clutter. peace TC

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
By unplugging the EGR Actuator ,Just Restricts the EGR, The EGR Valve is still functional. Not to split hairs but it legal to alter the actuator, BC the EGR status is never non-functional. It does have a big impact on soot reduction.
In reality owners have very few choices at this Time, So GDE is purchased BC its better then nothing. And I have never seen or even heard of a GDE tuned failure, so it looks like it does have some impact. and That's a good thing.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Thanks TC for the explanation. sorry about being rude in my previous post.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
When EFILive and other Companies began they felt it was absolutely necessary to incorporate logging software, You can take your factory file and overlap it with any file to see the differences, Back in 2005-7 many Box tunes were expose for mere pressure adders with some duration changes No re- mapping of fuel curves or graphs... it PO many that thought they were buying custom tunes.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
When EFILive and other Companies began they felt it was absolutely necessary to incorporate logging software, You can take your factory file and overlap it with any file to see the differences, Back in 2005-7 many Box tunes were expose for mere pressure adders with some duration changes No re- mapping of fuel curves or graphs... it PO many that thought they were buying custom tunes.

There is no "consumer" software out there that allows you to do this. I know of some expensive software from overseas (EU) that allows you to read out the .bin file which big tuners are using right now.

The OBDII read limitation really makes it tough for your average Joe to go in and see what a tuning company has actually done.

In fact, when you buy EFILive tunes right now you can't even see what was changed because all tuners (reputable ones at least) lock their files now to keep others from "stealing it".

For a fair comparison, you would need to read both the stock file and the tuned file and then know your way around HEX to figure out what you're reading.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
They VIN lock their Tunes...logging is open to anyone. Its not that hard and you can save just about any file.. You just need to buy your own license, But its still VIN lock.
On Edit , New stuff is Controller ECM/PCM/TCM locked...

Last edited:

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
Gde has already said there tune lowers most emissions but it does raise the Nox output aka shutting off the egr. There tune also allows you to run distilled water instead of def which well raise the Nox even more. But it is a solid tune and it keeps the stock derate limits in place minus a raised egt limit. Also it well still throw a cel should a problem arise.

Last edited:

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I have been Using Deionized / Distilled water in My ED,6.7s and LMLs for years on factory OP.

I can hit 1500/1600F EGTs on Factory OP W/O MIL/CEL if it was not for My alarms (IQ) aftermarket device most would have NO idea what EGTs are. We hit 2000-2200 in our Tune Pulling trucks but if you stay in it for more then 18 Seconds the exhaust manifolds will glow red hot and at times Burst. $2-20K in expense for that mistake.
Andrew has a 600HP ED tuned by him with twins , modded CP4 ,studs that's it, and he beats the crapped out of it, all on Factory rotating mass.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
They VIN lock their Tunes...logging is open to anyone. Its not that hard and you can save just about any file.. You just need to buy your own license, But its still VIN lock.
On Edit , New stuff is Controller ECM/PCM/TCM locked...

Who has the software/hardware to log an EcoDiesel right now? I know general PID's are available through the OBDII standards, but somethings aren't going to be.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
OTC and others, WITech... WITECH somewhat clumsy, WITECH Multi graphs have poor viewing, the one we use the Most is FCA mapping when a tuner claims the Modded pump is NOT keeping up, We view the Voltage and the cycle VS the Actual and Demand, At times only 80% of the pump(s) volume is being used, Regardless of the demand VS actual cannot be met when the Cycle and the Voltages are incorrect, We just ask the Tuner to change the graph to X ( we send this to them ) and all is good.

As for as ED logging I've only used WITECH....ugh

John

Nov 13, 2015
By unplugging the EGR Actuator ,Just Restricts the EGR, The EGR Valve is still functional. Not to split hairs but it legal to alter the actuator, BC the EGR status is never non-functional.

as it turns out your modification isn't actually legal. no splitting hairs about it.

from the EPA:

Tampering with a vehicles emissions control system is prohibited by the Clean Air Act of 1990 (40 CFR Title 2, Part A, Section 203).Emissions controls on vehicles are part of the certified design from the manufacturer to reduce pollution and protect public health.

Tampering could include the removal, bypass, disconnection, damage or in any way rendering ineffective any emissions control device or element of design that has been installed on a vehicle or engine.

In summary, this means:

• Removing any parts or devices, such as the catalytic converter, oxygen sensor, EGR valve, etc., that will alter the original emissions control equipment configurations on a vehicle
  • Disconnecting vacuum lines and electrical or mechanical parts of the emissions control system, such as electrical solenoids, sensors, or vacuum activated valves.
  • Adjusting any element of a vehicle’s emissions control design so that it no longer meets the manufacturer’s specifications.
  • Installing a replacement part that is not the same in design and function as the part that was originally on the vehicle, such as an incorrect exhaust part.
  • Adding a part that was not originally certified on the vehicle (e.g., installing a turbocharger.)