• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Exhaust Filter 100% AND Service ETC

jones_19

Sep 12, 2015
Truck Year
Quick story,
Camping this weekend. Yesterday, I get a check engine light with no message on the screen. So I pull in to my local dealer to check it out. They are too busy so they give me an appointment on June 30th and tell me as long as the check engine light isn't flashing and they engine runs well, not to worry. (They are now aware of the CE so i'm cool with that). Last night I get a Exhaust Filter 90% message. CE still on. I attemp to regen for about 20 mins at 100-110 km on 6th gear (2500 rpm). It's still @ 90% so I turn around and do another 20 mins. No change. This morning I bring my travel trailer back to the house. 15-20 mins @ 2500 rpm. Still at 90%. I drop off the TT and once again attemp a Regen. I get on the highway and get a service ETC light and message. So now, the truck's limping on the highway and I get a exhaust filter 100%-Service required.

Anyone else ever get anything similar?
I have 25000 km that were, until yesterday, trouble free.
I regularly drive long distances for work (500km return, 3-4 times a month) so you would think regens weren't a problem. Especially since I make a point to, at least, drop a gear for a good half hour when I do long drives.

Long story short, I'm a little pissed and will be opening a case file with FCA.

Any input would be appreciated and I'll report my findings.

Attachments

• tmp_25078-20160611_133245-1682901252.jpg
    tmp_25078-20160611_133245-1682901252.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 49
  • tmp_25078-20160611_1332312111415500.jpg
    tmp_25078-20160611_1332312111415500.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 44

John

Nov 13, 2015
I'm going to guess you have the P0299 (Turbo underboost) trouble code. The problem with this particular code is it won't allow the DPF to regen while the code is active.

The dealer will have to force a regen using their WiTech tool. Hopefully a reflash of the ECM will take care of the source of the trouble code.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I'm going to guess you have the P0299 (Turbo underboost) trouble code. The problem with this particular code is it won't allow the DPF to regen while the code is active.

The dealer will have to force a regen using their WiTech tool. Hopefully a reflash of the ECM will take care of the source of the trouble code.

I've not heard this, good info @John Thanks for sharing.

ocn

Jun 12, 2016
Truck Year
My truck did the 100% filter warning, then set Service ETC message and indicator warning. It also set codes and warnings for no DEF even though tank was nearly full. Shortly thereafter it went into limp mode not going past 2nd gear or 2200 rpm. Then the mileage count down to no restart for low DEF began. Dealer had to replace a bunch of parts, new ECM. I now know that you can jumper the starter relay to overcome the no restart.

jones_19

Sep 12, 2015
Truck Year
Got a call from dealer yesterday.
They ordered a part and truck should be ready by end of day.
I'll post the info on work that had to be done. Thanks for all your input!

BRWhelan

Jul 8, 2016
Truck Year
I'm having this issue at this very moment as well. I'm curious, did they cover this under warranty or did you have to pay out of pocket?

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I'm having this issue at this very moment as well. I'm curious, did they cover this under warranty or did you have to pay out of pocket?

If you're within the factory warranty, I don't know of anything that could cause you to have to pay for an emissions problem out of pocket. Unless of course you destroyed something physically..

Welcome to the community!

BRWhelan

Jul 8, 2016
Truck Year
If you're within the factory warranty, I don't know of anything that could cause you to have to pay for an emissions problem out of pocket. Unless of course you destroyed something physically..

Welcome to the community!
Thank you! I dropped my truck off yesterday for a very similar issue. I drive 100miles a day during the week, so regens also aren't an issue for me. I'm hoping to hear back today or tomorrow with a fix.

I'm hoping it'll be a quick fix or FCA will need to give me a rental for work. A hellcat or rubicon jeep should do just fine. ;-)

Jbc

Jan 27, 2017
Truck Year
New to the site. Searching for info on exhaust+ETC on a 2015.

Same symptoms: check engine light a few days ago (have not gotten out my code reader yet, and been preparing for a baby), last night got 80%>90%>100% exhaust full with apparently no regeneration effort in 10 miles of highway. Pull into the parking garage at the hospital and ECV flashing.

My DEF IS low and in the red. The countdown had also just started night before last.

Sounds like that's possibly related? How much fluid is actually in there when the countdown begins?

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
I was able to easily put in 7.0gls. when my countdown showed "will not start in 140 miles"

dmbtjclark

Oct 11, 2016
Truck Year
Hello all. I am new to the forum...
My 2016 1500 started showing 80% full on Wed - with a message to take a joy ride on the highway.. Well, that was not going to happen on Wed.
Thursday 90% - go take your joy ride...., well that did not happen..
Friday - 100%... GO TAKE YOUR JOY RIDE! So on Saturday I did and then it said 100% full go see a dealer... for service.

Dropped it off this morning waiting to see what it will cost. I have learned through the forums and other places that this reg will only occur at +1500 rpm and over 30 minutes of driving, which I do not typically do.
How often is this suppose to happen to force a regen?

Also I have an bad electronic throttle switch, could this have contributed to the very rapid filling of the DPF?
I did attempt to clear it out on Saturday but it did not seem to do anything.

Does anyone know what this is going to cost? To have the dealership regen my DPF?

David
2016 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie

Scottd

Apr 23, 2017
Truck Year
Hello all. I am new to the forum...
My 2016 1500 started showing 80% full on Wed - with a message to take a joy ride on the highway.. Well, that was not going to happen on Wed.
Thursday 90% - go take your joy ride...., well that did not happen..
Friday - 100%... GO TAKE YOUR JOY RIDE! So on Saturday I did and then it said 100% full go see a dealer... for service.

Dropped it off this morning waiting to see what it will cost. I have learned through the forums and other places that this reg will only occur at +1500 rpm and over 30 minutes of driving, which I do not typically do.
How often is this suppose to happen to force a regen?

Also I have an bad electronic throttle switch, could this have contributed to the very rapid filling of the DPF?
I did attempt to clear it out on Saturday but it did not seem to do anything.

Does anyone know what this is going to cost? To have the dealership regen my DPF?

David
2016 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie

Your truck will regen once it's up to operating temps, and your rpms are above 1500. And it doesn't take 30 mins. Mine typically completes in 4-5 miles of highway driving.

I have completed a regen in town sitting in traffic.

I just use the manual shifter and keep the rpms above 1800 and it works perfectly

My opinion...you need to get you a monitor (edge cts or cts2) so you can tell when your soot level is 65 %. That's when your truck will go into regen mode. That way you can make sure it completes before you park it.

You gotta have a way of knowing when the regen is getting close. Especially if you don't get out on the highway frequently.

As for your question...I'm sorry I don't know the answer. My truck have never been back to the dealer for anything.

Good luck with the forced regen. I think it should be covered under warranty...

chris aldred

Jan 3, 2018
Truck Year
Here is one for the books , I bought a new ecodiesel 2017 Laramie , Got in Nov 30 . Dec 30 the throttle service light came on . I took it in and they said it was due to the extreme cold and they put the rad cover on after warming it up and blowing air into the cooler .
next day -21C and light came on again I did plug it in overnight and top up the DEF back to the dealer and they do it again and clear the codes .Next morning -22C light comes on again , I call Dealer and the FCA , dealer said to put it in a warm garage and run it for 20 mins as ice is building up on turbo giving me the 2218 P0299 code there is no fix for this . I left it in a heated workshop for 15 hrs then ran it for 20 min, no change lightning bolt is still on , took it outside and the Exhaust 100% full take to dealer came on now bolt is flashing , no previous warning . also any idea why my new truck with 2700 km or 1677 miles 56hrs driving has 25hrs idletime on it ??? no wonder its full the throttle/turbo was likely full of ice while waiting at the border to be shipped to Canada . ive only done maybe 5 hrs idle tops .so who did the other 20 ?

KEITH JOHNSON

Jan 10, 2018
Truck Year
I've got a 2016 with almost a hundred fifty thousand miles on it and I just started getting the same code. I'm out of my warranty and if ordered the gde delete kit. Will post tomorrow after it's installed and I run a couple of hundred miles. good luck brother these little trucks are actually pretty good if you can get them to run right

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I've got a 2016 with almost a hundred fifty thousand miles on it and I just started getting the same code. I'm out of my warranty and if ordered the gde delete kit. Will post tomorrow after it's installed and I run a couple of hundred miles. good luck brother these little trucks are actually pretty good if you can get them to run right

Welcome Keith, take some pictures and share if you don't mind of the kit and especially if you install it. We'd love to see it.

jones_19

Sep 12, 2015
Truck Year
Update #2, 2 yrs later, lol.

Same thing just happened. 100% full. The usual 80% never popped on dash. Also service ETC. Seems like thrbo doesn't work. Doesnt seem to be in limp mode . Problem is, dealer is 500km (300 miles) away. Towing it might set me back a grand. I guess delete now seems justified. Do you guys think delete and clear codes would work? Also, what tune and why? I don't need anything crazy, except for the full filter, I like the truck just fine. Thanks!

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Update #2, 2 yrs later, lol.

Same thing just happened. 100% full. The usual 80% never popped on dash. Also service ETC. Seems like thrbo doesn't work. Doesnt seem to be in limp mode . Problem is, dealer is 500km (300 miles) away. Towing it might set me back a grand. I guess delete now seems justified. Do you guys think delete and clear codes would work? Also, what tune and why? I don't need anything crazy, except for the full filter, I like the truck just fine. Thanks!
Actually it is good to hear that your first repair lasted two years.
However the Service ETC code sets several parameters to Limp Home Mode, which includes no DPF regen, lowered boost, shortened or limited injector pulse, limited gear selection, which sets a code for Implausible Gear Selection. ETC Code can be caused by a large number of circumstances and is not a good diagnostic effort without having vehicle in front of you with a complex scan tool and/or a lot of experience.
Once your DPF becomes 100% full only the dealer using their WiTech Scan Tool will reset. Good luck.
Without getting into a discussion on legality I am a firm believer that the EGR on a diesel is counter-intuitive at best. There is anecdotal evidence that a EGR modification program, delete, can have a positive effect on engine run performance and longevity. A complete exhaust delete will require a altered program which opens up a whole other can of legal worms, but would definitely cure the problem. With out you knowing all the ramifications of such a program or system modification, it would be unwise for me to offer counsel on installing such a program.