• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Exhaust filter 100% full Service Required

Bob Renton

Jan 1, 2018
Truck Year
Traveling away from home today and got a message ‘Exhaust Filter 100% full. Service Required. See dealer.
It’s Jan 1st...no place to service today and I am traveling 750 miles over next two days. Is this a problem?
Also got error code yesterday ‘Service Electronic Throttle Control. It’s been between 0 and -16F here in Wisconsin for more than a week so the truck is drivable but looses power going up hills and won’t maintain highway speeds - fluctuates between 50 and 65. I don’t have a front grill cover on but plug in the engine block heater every night. Any one else having these problems in the present sub-zero temps?

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Traveling away from home today and got a message ‘Exhaust Filter 100% full. Service Required. See dealer.
It’s Jan 1st...no place to service today and I am traveling 750 miles over next two days. Is this a problem?
Also got error code yesterday ‘Service Electronic Throttle Control. It’s been between 0 and -16F here in Wisconsin for more than a week so the truck is drivable but looses power going up hills and won’t maintain highway speeds - fluctuates between 50 and 65. I don’t have a front grill cover on but plug in the engine block heater every night. Any one else having these problems in the present sub-zero temps?

Your truck has failed to regen for whatever reasons. You can force a regen manually.

Take a look at this post by @jdn112011
https://www.ecodieselram.com/forum/threads/eco-diesel-exhaust-filter-issues.1331/page-2#post-11234

John

Nov 13, 2015

Unfortunately once you get the 100% full message you will have to let the dealer do a forced regen with the WiTech tool. The stationary regen will only work before 100% is reached.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Unfortunately once you get the 100% full message you will have to let the dealer do a forced regen with the WiTech tool. The stationary regen will only work before 100% is reached.

If one had the Edge CTS2 you can still force it right? I've never had a 100% message, so I assumed you could still force it like @jdn112011 mentions in his post.

John

Nov 13, 2015
If one had the Edge CTS2 you can still force it right? I've never had a 100% message, so I assumed you could still force it like @jdn112011 mentions in his post.

I have the Edge and it will not force the regen at 100% full. I wish it did. With the Edge you can do a regen at any time before the DPF reaches 100%.

Bob Renton

Jan 1, 2018
Truck Year

Thanks for the information. We got a motel for the night right near a Dodge Dealer so hope we can get it in tomorrow and finish our trip!
We put 300 miles on it today in sub zero temps with 2 codes warnings going (one for automatic throttle and one for the exhaust filter). We couldn't go above 62mph on the freeway and had a bit of lag going up small inclines but it kept going. I don't want to push it so best get it in to service before we continue our trip.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Thanks for the information. We got a motel for the night right near a Dodge Dealer so hope we can get it in tomorrow and finish our trip!
We put 300 miles on it today in sub zero temps with 2 codes warnings going (one for automatic throttle and one for the exhaust filter). We couldn't go above 62mph on the freeway and had a bit of lag going up small inclines but it kept going. I don't want to push it so best get it in to service before we continue our trip.

Good luck. Let us know how the dealer visit goes!

Brokedownbutgood

Apr 17, 2016
Truck Year
When your truck has a cel thats causes limp mode aka service electric throttle message. It well lock out regen from happening. The cel which is likely unrelated probably caused your dpf to fillup. Its best to get a obdII scanner and read then clear your codes before they cause bigger issues.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
That message requires WITECH (100% Full) it takes 30 minutes in Stationary Desoot Mode, Easy fix that requires tool ,Lic, Account with TechAuthority .

Bob Renton

Jan 1, 2018
Truck Year
One week later our truck is still in for repair so had to rent a car. Dealer said we have a clogged fuel filter restricting fuel flow that might be why we got the ETC warning and the 2nd warning of exhaust filter 100% full. So we are told none of this is covered under our engine warranty. Also problem began with extreme cold weather but dealer thinks it all stemmed from a clogged fuel filter. Wouldn't I have gotten a warning message that the fuel filter needed to be replaced if that was the problem?

John

Nov 13, 2015
One week later our truck is still in for repair so had to rent a car. Dealer said we have a clogged fuel filter restricting fuel flow that might be why we got the ETC warning and the 2nd warning of exhaust filter 100% full. So we are told none of this is covered under our engine warranty. Also problem began with extreme cold weather but dealer thinks it all stemmed from a clogged fuel filter. Wouldn't I have gotten a warning message that the fuel filter needed to be replaced if that was the problem?

Doesn't sound right to me. Do you have the option of another dealer in the area?

IrritatedRamOwner

Jan 9, 2018
Truck Year
Hi, I received the same messages. Mine came through on 12/30/17. My truck has been in the shop since 1/2/18. Today I received a call informing me the Service alert was escalated to the Ram Engineers. The Engineers have instructed the dealership to reset the error codes & inform me to add heet treatment to each fill up of diesel. I did the math, that increases my gas cost by approx .32 cents per gallon. Where is the cost savings in that? Hope you have better luck with your eco diesel Ram than I have had. The first major failure I had with this truck is a complete engine failure. The engine failure happened at 20,000 miles. Now this issue, I am extremely disappointed in my ram. Good luck.

IrritatedRamOwner

Jan 9, 2018
Truck Year
Hi, I received the same messages. Mine came through on 12/30/17. My truck has been in the shop since 1/2/18. Today I received a call informing me the Service alert was escalated to the Ram Engineers. The Engineers have instructed the dealership to reset the error codes & inform me to add heet treatment to each fill up of diesel. I did the math, that increases my gas cost by approx .32 cents per gallon. Where is the cost savings in that? Hope you have better luck with your eco diesel Ram than I have had. The first major failure I had with this truck is a complete engine failure. The engine failure happened at 20,000 miles. Now this issue, I am extremely disappointed in my ram. Good luck.
This is an ongoing issue with EcoDiesel engines being sold in US & Canada. Some states have class action suits started. Do some research online to see if there is one in your state. Other option, complain to the Warranty Center. Not that filing a complaint will result in action but it's a start.

Bob Renton

Jan 1, 2018
Truck Year
Follow up report after service on my 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel due to ATC problem in severe cold weather.

My truck is operational again after prolonged severe cold weather (-5 to -20 for a week) caused fuel to gel plus some debris in the fuel filter exacerbated the problem . I got a warning that my ‘Automatic Throttle Control’ needed service. Also, since my truck could not maintain highway speeds of at least 60mph on the interstate, another problem developed. The exhaust filter clogged up and would not do an auto regen. The warning message that popped up was ‘Exhaust Filter 100% Full- Service Needed see dealer’.
I couldn’t continue my trip to Colorado without getting service - but unfortunately it was Jan 1st. I got a motel and brought it to a Chrysler:Dodge Dealer the next morning. It was -20 that morning but I had no trouble starting the truck and only had to drive it 1/2 mile from motel to the dealer.
I found my truck was one of about 60 diesel trucks brought or towed into the dealer that day.
With so many diesels in for service due to problems with prolonged subzero temperatures, it took a week before they could begin to work on my truck. I continued my drive to Colorado in a rental car and returned today - after receiving word from the service tech that My eco-diesel was repaired and ready to go.
At just under $700 it was a big expense that was not covered under my warranty or extended warranty.

IrritatedRamOwner

Jan 9, 2018
Truck Year
Follow up report after service on my 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel due to ATC problem in severe cold weather.

My truck is operational again after prolonged severe cold weather (-5 to -20 for a week) caused fuel to gel plus some debris in the fuel filter exacerbated the problem . I got a warning that my ‘Automatic Throttle Control’ needed service. Also, since my truck could not maintain highway speeds of at least 60mph on the interstate, another problem developed. The exhaust filter clogged up and would not do an auto regen. The warning message that popped up was ‘Exhaust Filter 100% Full- Service Needed see dealer’.
I couldn’t continue my trip to Colorado without getting service - but unfortunately it was Jan 1st. I got a motel and brought it to a Chrysler:Dodge Dealer the next morning. It was -20 that morning but I had no trouble starting the truck and only had to drive it 1/2 mile from motel to the dealer.
I found my truck was one of about 60 diesel trucks brought or towed into the dealer that day.
With so many diesels in for service due to problems with prolonged subzero temperatures, it took a week before they could begin to work on my truck. I continued my drive to Colorado in a rental car and returned today - after receiving word from the service tech that My eco-diesel was repaired and ready to go.
At just under $700 it was a big expense that was not covered under my warranty or extended warranty.
I contacted FCA and filed a complaint. They covered the service cost, my rental and have ordered a heat cover for my truck. This is a known problem. There was a recall on 2014 & 2015 Ram ecodiesel. You should contact the FCA warranty center.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year

Glad to hear you are back on the road. Don't want to sound like a debbie downer but since I know diesel fuel gels at 29 F I knew up front that I would be using some type of fuel conditioner. I also know that not all locations stabilize their fuel, they take a chance on location. Here in Oklahoma one of the largest retailers does not stabilize their fuel, their reasoning is it does not get cold enough here. The last week the overnight temps were in the low double to single digits F. So much for it doesn't get cold enough. I would recommend a quality winter grade diesel fuel conditioner.
Enjoy your truck.

John

Nov 13, 2015
Diesel should not gel at 29 F. For #2 diesel this is usually around 17.5 °F (−8.1 °C). Winter diesel already will have additives and is usually good down to about -10 F.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year
Diesel should not gel at 29 F. For #2 diesel this is usually around 17.5 °F (−8.1 °C). Winter diesel already will have additives and is usually good down to about -10 F.
To be truly accurate the quoted 17.5 F ( jealous can't get that fancy degree symbol) is actually the Freeze point of #2 diesel, the gel point is actually more closely aligned with the Cloud Point which closer 29 F, some sources state as high as 32 F. However not wanting to nitpick, the mixture of #2 and #1 diesel during winter weather varies with the region, such as say Dallas TX vs. Fargo ND. The whole point is that if you fill up in one region and then drive to a colder region you may experience some fuel issues. It is possible, with our excellent fuel mileage, to drive from say Tulsa OK to Denver CO it would be a good strategy to fill up with local fuel before parking overnight to avoid fuel issues.

Also I believe there is also a difference in Winter Diesel and Winterized Diesel, which is the a blend of #2 and #1 diesel vs. fuel stabilizer additive, which you alluded to. So to be accurate Winter Diesel is a mixture of #2 and #1 diesel which is blended according to regional average low temperatures. Some sources relate a mixture of kerosene to #2 diesel but I would not recommend this. Winterized Diesel utilizes a fuel additive or stabilizer to raise cetane rating and lower the Gel Point and handle water contamination. You are correct the appropriate mixture of #2 and #1 diesel should be good to approximately -10 F, some manufacturers claim down to -30 F with usage of their additive.

So with that all being said I use a Diesel Fuel Stabilizer which lowers the Gel Point of the fuel.

John

Nov 13, 2015
I was stating the gel point as diesel doesn't freeze. I don't care to nit pick either. Just don't want others thinking there will be a problem with diesel fuel in the 29-32 degree range.

All the best.