• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Exhaust filter 100% full Service Required

Ram15

Nov 7, 2017
Truck Year
Traveling away from home today and got a message ‘Exhaust Filter 100% full. Service Required. See dealer.
It’s Jan 1st...no place to service today and I am traveling 750 miles over next two days. Is this a problem?
Also got error code yesterday ‘Service Electronic Throttle Control. It’s been between 0 and -16F here in Wisconsin for more than a week so the truck is drivable but looses power going up hills and won’t maintain highway speeds - fluctuates between 50 and 65. I don’t have a front grill cover on but plug in the engine block heater every night. Any one else having these problems in the present sub-zero temps?

My 2015 Ram Eco at 101000 miles did not regen or show a code, it just Blew up.. the DPF system. $3500 later it is fixed, just two weeks before this the High Pressure Fuel Pump quit and sent aluminum fragments in the entire fuel system $12000 repair with the Dealer and NO HELP From Ram... :(:(

gary johnson

Jan 8, 2016
Truck Year
Traveling away from home today and got a message ‘Exhaust Filter 100% full. Service Required. See dealer.
It’s Jan 1st...no place to service today and I am traveling 750 miles over next two days. Is this a problem?
Also got error code yesterday ‘Service Electronic Throttle Control. It’s been between 0 and -16F here in Wisconsin for more than a week so the truck is drivable but looses power going up hills and won’t maintain highway speeds - fluctuates between 50 and 65. I don’t have a front grill cover on but plug in the engine block heater every night. Any one else having these problems in the present sub-zero temps?

gary johnson

Jan 8, 2016
Truck Year
Bob
I read your post and it is similar to my problem: I left MN on Dec 31 when it was 10 below driving to Kansas City . After 1 hour the Service Electronic warning came on . The manual said it was ok to keep driving . so I continued the temp dropped to 13 below in Iowa and as I got Kansas city the Exhaust Filter 100% full came on . I was stuck in KC until Jan 3 before I could get a dealer to do a Forced regen ( $670.00) . I got no warning that it was at 80% . If I had got a warning I would have stopped and avoided the $670 bill. This seems to be a defect in not giving a early warning before reaching 100% Full

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
I could get a dealer to do a Forced regen ( $670.00)
Welcome Gary, not to pile on here, but that's highway robbery to do a forced regen. Hopefully you can get to the bottom of the issue.

Generally the truck will warn you when your close.. I've never seen it but that's because my driving style allows me to regen often.

Gary Childre

Dec 14, 2017
Truck Year
I have had both problems and I live in California-I had to have the catalytic converter replaced because the def fluid crystalized in it that is a recall. I have had the electronic throttle control message come on 6 times since August 2017. The truck is considered a lemon but Chrysler doesn't want to do anything about it so I got a lawyer and they are going to handle it. The truck is not a bad one but I think there are a lot of things they haven't worked out yet with the truck.

Gary Childre

Dec 14, 2017
Truck Year
Welcome Gary, not to pile on here, but that's highway robbery to do a forced regen. Hopefully you can get to the bottom of the issue.

Generally the truck will warn you when your close.. I've never seen it but that's because my driving style allows me to regen often.
Actually the truck is suppose to do the regen on it's own my truck has done it numerous times.

BoostN

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jul 27, 2013
Truck Year
Not Listed
Actually the truck is suppose to do the regen on it's own my truck has done it numerous times.

That's correct. :)

I'm saying, it shouldn't be that expensive for a tech to hook up the computer and force a regen in the shop. But that's my opinion.. i've been told I'm cheap so theres that...

Otis

Mar 27, 2017
Truck Year
I had a 2015 that never had this problem in 80,000 miles. I recently traded it in on a 2017. It currently has 1500 (that is not a typo 1500) miles and it had exactly the same symptoms that Bob described. The dealer also said that it needed a regen. I have a hard time believing that a truck with 1500 miles would require a regen. I live in North West Illinois and we had the extreme cold when this problem occurred as well.

John

Nov 13, 2015
I had a 2015 that never had this problem in 80,000 miles. I recently traded it in on a 2017. It currently has 1500 (that is not a typo 1500) miles and it had exactly the same symptoms that Bob described. The dealer also said that it needed a regen. I have a hard time believing that a truck with 1500 miles would require a regen. I live in North West Illinois and we had the extreme cold when this problem occurred as well.

Your truck will most likely regen on its own every 75-150 miles. If for some reason the regens do not complete you should see a message on the EVIC stating 80%, than 90% full and the message will say to drive at highway speeds to complete the regen. If the filter reaches 100% (due to not completing or some other issue) you will have to see the dealer for a forced regen.

Here's some info from your owners manual.

Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Messages
This engine meets all required diesel engine emissions
standards. To achieve these emissions standards, your
vehicle is equipped with a state-of-the-art engine and
exhaust system. These systems are seamlessly integrated
into your vehicle and managed by the Powertrain Control
Module (PCM). The PCM manages engine combustion
to allow the exhaust system’s catalyst to trap and
burn Particulate Matter (PM) pollutants, with no input or
interaction on your part.

Your vehicle has the ability to alert you to additional
maintenance required on your vehicle or engine. Refer to
the following messages that may be displayed on your
Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC):
• Exhaust Filter XX% Full Safely Drive at Highway
Speeds to Remedy — This message will be displayed
in the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) if
the exhaust particulate filter reaches 80% of its maximum
storage capacity. Under conditions of exclusive
short duration and low speed driving cycles, your
diesel engine and exhaust after-treatment system may
never reach the conditions required to cleanse the filter
to remove the trapped PM. If this occurs, the “Exhaust
Filter XX% Full Safely Drive at Highway Speeds to
Remedy” message will be displayed in the EVIC. If
this message is displayed, you will hear one chime to
assist in alerting you of this condition. By simply
driving your vehicle at highway speeds for up to 20
minutes, you can remedy the condition in the particulate
filter system and allow your diesel engine and
exhaust after-treatment system to cleanse the filter to
remove the trapped PM and restore the system to
normal operating condition.

• Exhaust System — Regeneration In Process Exhaust
Filter XX% Full — This message indicates that the
Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) is self-cleaning. Maintain
your current driving condition until regeneration
is completed.
• Exhaust System — Regeneration Completed — This
message indicates that the Diesel Particulate Filter
(DPF) self-cleaning is completed. If this message is
displayed, you will hear one chime to assist in alerting
you of this condition.
• Exhaust Service Required — See Dealer Now — This
messages indicates regeneration has been disabled due
to a system malfunction. At this point the engine
Powertrain Control Module (PCM) will register a fault
code, the instrument panel will display a MIL light.

• Exhaust Filter Full — Power Reduced See Dealer —
This message indicates the PCM has derated the
engine to limit the likelihood of permanent damage to
the after-treatment system. If this condition is not
corrected and a dealer service is not performed, extensive
exhaust after-treatment damage can occur. To
correct this condition it will be necessary to have your
vehicle serviced by your local authorized dealer.

Bob S.

Sep 1, 2016
Truck Year
I have found anything below + 10 C the rad cover should be on to help keep the heat in the motor. ( Recently ran as high as +16 C on my way south through Salt Lake before removing the cover with no real issues for over heating)
We have diesel # 1 all winter here in northern Alberta and just ran at -38 C with out any trouble for the whole day and typically its -20 to -25 C here all winter most mornings to start the day off. I carry anti gel but have never had to use it.

computerdiehard

Jun 8, 2017
Truck Year
I have 24k miles on my 16 LIMITED, I run banks Derringer Tuner and hot shot secret EDT and never had any issues yet. I get 30 mpg in summer and dropped to 23 in winter. I was in Wyoming for 2 weeks visiting family and was 15 below several days. I plugged it in no worries. I also live in Salt lake city area.

GearHead

Sep 13, 2016
Truck Year

John

Nov 13, 2015

Good article. Thanks for sharing.

So technically diesel does freeze (I stand corrected), but it's not something we have to worry about if I understand correctly. The Cold Filter Plugging Point CFPP would be the cold weather concern.

Pour Point: The temperature at which diesel freezes is called its pour point. At this temperature fuel will freeze solid in lines. Pour point is irrelevant in terms of predicting cold weather operability because it is lower than cold filter plugging point. If fuel cannot pass through filters to the engine, the vehicle will not run. In the absence of other complications, gelled or cloudy diesel should clear as it warms. The wax crystals will dissolve back into solution and the fuel will once again be perfectly liquid. If the fuel does not clear when warmed, then another factor is at work in addition to cold temperatures. Most likely additional chemistry is present and a reaction has taken place creating soft solids that do not melt at normal operating temperatures.

RalliartOR

Feb 3, 2018
Truck Year
Know this is a little old but just got my 16 a couple months ago. I do alot of town driving so the system fills faster. Loaned it to my wife and when i got it back it had been at 100% for 2 days...granted mpg dropped dramatically over those two days.. took a 20-30min drive at 60+mph and regened itself. Oat was in the 40s. Could the issue be with extreme cold driving the truck never reaches regen temps?

John

Nov 13, 2015
Know this is a little old but just got my 16 a couple months ago. I do alot of town driving so the system fills faster. Loaned it to my wife and when i got it back it had been at 100% for 2 days...granted mpg dropped dramatically over those two days.. took a 20-30min drive at 60+mph and regened itself. Oat was in the 40s. Could the issue be with extreme cold driving the truck never reaches regen temps?

Short trips will have an adverse effect on completing regens. The OAT won't prevent regens as long as you allow the truck to reach operating temperature.

Did you see the 100% full message on the EVIC? Typically once you see the 100% message the truck will need a forced regen at the dealer. Sounds like you dodged the bullet.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
IMO, 2014-17 ED 3.0 needs Stationary desoot 2+ times yearly when DD used. At this time WITECH is the only tool for desoot operation.

Al gmz

Nov 23, 2018
Truck Year
Hi, I received the same messages. Mine came through on 12/30/17. My truck has been in the shop since 1/2/18. Today I received a call informing me the Service alert was escalated to the Ram Engineers. The Engineers have instructed the dealership to reset the error codes & inform me to add heet treatment to each fill up of diesel. I did the math, that increases my gas cost by approx .32 cents per gallon. Where is the cost savings in that? Hope you have better luck with your eco diesel Ram than I have had. The first major failure I had with this truck is a complete engine failure. The engine failure happened at 20,000 miles. Now this issue, I am extremely disappointed in my ram. Good luck.
wow, it should be under warranty, 3 DAYS AGO my Exhaust filter 100% full i am at 85826 the warranty expired at 80k now dealership wants $3500 to replace,

Al gmz

Nov 23, 2018
Truck Year
ok i am 1500 miles from home on business,My eco exhaust is full $3500 to replace, i know i can delete but if caught big fine,; anyone have any suggestions just picked up from service department will drive but in limp mood,

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
You need to fined someone with WITECH 2.0 ,that's capable to Desoot the System, I've had a few owners locally with the same problem that can returned to normal use after 2-3 De-sooting's. its generally about 2-$300.00 in cost.