• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

JSchneib

Oct 20, 2015
Truck Year
Thanks for the description of how your system works. How much does that update cost? Can we ask that question here?

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
Why did FCA limit turbo braking on the EcoDiesel with their truck firmware? There must be an engineering reason?

I'm getting the impression that the EcoDiesel 3.0 L, can't handle the strain, heat or as durable as advertised. Great run about truck, but limited for serious stuff, I suspect. I hope I'm wrong....

I know for towing, (6000 lbs + in the mountains) the EGT 1 & EGT 2 heats up too much (1500F peaks at 3,000 to 3500 rpm in Cruise Control Mode, up the steep, long hills). It can't cool down and under powered the reason for the heat. I asked FCA, but they won't provide answers, if this is acceptable heat temperatures. Anyone know the limits?

So far at 12,500 km, truck is great, love it and nice to drive....

EcoSki

Nov 16, 2015
Truck Year
I have the GDE tune and still stand by my observations. I love the tune, just wish the braking was more significant.

Green Diesel

Nov 17, 2015
Truck Year
Why did FCA limit turbo braking on the EcoDiesel with their truck firmware? There must be an engineering reason?

I'm getting the impression that the EcoDiesel 3.0 L, can't handle the strain, heat or as durable as advertised. Great run about truck, but limited for serious stuff, I suspect. I hope I'm wrong....

I know for towing, (6000 lbs + in the mountains) the EGT 1 & EGT 2 heats up too much (1500F peaks at 3,000 to 3500 rpm in Cruise Control Mode, up the steep, long hills). It can't cool down and under powered the reason for the heat. I asked FCA, but they won't provide answers, if this is acceptable heat temperatures. Anyone know the limits?

So far at 12,500 km, truck is great, love it and nice to drive....

My guess is they never thought about it. The Garrett turbo used on the VM motor is designed to handle engine braking, the critical factor is drive pressure not to exceed about 3.5 bar if I recollect correctly. The exhaust temp limit pre-turbo is 850 C or 1562 F. The engine self regulates this limit in the stock tuning.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
I never allow it to go over 1500 F in the Gas Temperature (EGT1, EGT2). Didn't want to burn out the engine. Good to know, they allowed up to 1562 F.

Thanks for the info...

diesel power 2014

Oct 3, 2015
Truck Year
If you press the trailer/tow switch it helps with the truck to slow down,as it shifts down slower and keeps engine rpm up.Everybody
remember with winter coming be very careful with the use of cruise control as I have seen many vehicles loose control and well
you all now what happens not good.

diesel power 2014

Oct 3, 2015
Truck Year
Please note when if you use a tuner or any other after market device it puts a strain on the engine and power train,as a comment
posted 1500 f,is getting to hot most all good aluminum alloys start to melt at 1250 f.I prefer to use a mechanical gauge(s).isspro
brand gauge for engine heat (have not had chance to install on my truck but working on it),requires getting to exhaust behind turbo.
Going to post as well after I install a manifold pressure (boost) gauge.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
Engine block is made from other type according to this post....

"When designing the block, the engineers opted to use Compacted Graphite Iron (CGI). CGI blocks are becoming the norm with modern engines because it is stronger than a traditional iron block. Due to the increased strength, engineers can reduce the size of the block, thus reducing the weight. “Unlike diesels of the past that were really heavy, this [CGI] is very efficient, but gets the structural requirements you need for a diesel. So, it [the complete engine] actually weighs a little more than a Hemi engine but provides great diesel performance and fuel economy, "

To further strengthen the block, VM opted to use a bedplate. There are four bolts (14mm) per main, but then an additional eight bolts (12mm) holding the bedplate down. This is the equivalent of having six bolts per main.

The block is designed as a 60 degree V. This is a fairly narrow engine compared to many of the 90 degree V diesel engines currently in the market. The tighter angle helps to reduce the mass of the block, further reducing the weight as well as providing for a tighter overall package.

A forged 4140 steel crankshaft was designed to hold the cast iron connecting rods (not Powered Metal Rods) that are connected to cast aluminum pistons. With the pistons being cast, VM was able to integrate a steel top ring groove for increased durability.

Rotating Assembly
To keep the pistons cool during heavy duty cycles, each cylinder has an oil jet (squirter) at the bottom of each cylinder that sprays oil up into the piston to remove heat. The pistons, also, feature a full floating wrist pin.

Keeping the rotating assembly as light as possible, without sacrificing on strength, the top of the rods on the piston side have a keystone shape (they are cut in at an angle to reduce size). While that may seem like an overkill on a diesel engine, every ounce matters when it comes to acceleration as well as drag (i.e. fuel consumption)

For us in the truck market, the heads are quite unique. After decades of gasoline engines offering dual overhead camshafts the EcoDiesel is the first light duty diesel engine in the truck market to offer a dual overhead camshaft design.

The DOHC heads are constructed from aluminum for significant weight savings. VM Motori has spent decades developing diesel engines. While their early aluminum heads had issues, those problems are a distant memory.

My conclusion....
Either way, I don't allow it to hit 1500 F. I have alarm set, in case it happens when monitoring my EGT 1 through EGT 4. Also have alarm for Rad temperature (ECT) if it hit 230 F, in case I don't notice the climb due to having winter cover on. I'm using EDGE CS2 monitor.

Better to be cautious, then sorry later...

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Very informative post.

TCandee

Nov 28, 2015
Truck Year
I have the GDE tune and still stand by my observations. I love the tune, just wish the braking was more significant.

I have only tested this feature once. It is a little disappointing compared to a true exhaust brake. However, compared to the stock tune without it, the braking is noticeable. It doesn't actually slow you down much on a hill, but at least the truck doesn't run away from you like it does stock. Holds speed on a significant grade at about 3200 rpm not towing. Haven't tested it towing yet.

JSchneib

Oct 20, 2015
Truck Year
How do I get the engine brake add on from Green Diesel? I can't find it on the website and I only seem to think about it when they are closed.

moparecodiesel

May 24, 2015
Truck Year
Not Listed
i just have no clue why this engine takes off like a race car down hills, ive owned literally every new generation of every ford and gm since 1984. this is the only engine that absolutely will not slow itself down. when parleys or the sisters are black ice, its safer for me to have my big trailer behind me to slow me down. when i drove for kennecott in my 777C and 797 CAT, anything over 1500 rpm, BOOM. we were hauling 80 tons down 7% grades like that and they would take off, but for little engines this thing needs and exhaust brake bad! i hate high rpm's as i hate going over 3200 rpm.

seiko

Jul 23, 2015
Truck Year
With my trailer setup, going down grades, as long as I had cruise control on, it did just right amount of engine braking. On steeper hills and to keep rpm down, I would touch by trailer brake, create a big of drag. I was surprise it did as well, as I was given the impression, there is no engine exhaust braking on the EcoDiesel. Definitely not as good as the cummins engines, I expect.

TCandee

Nov 28, 2015
Truck Year
How do I get the engine brake add on from Green Diesel? I can't find it on the website and I only seem to think about it when they are closed.
It is an add on to their 1500 ecodiesel "hot tune". Put the tune in your cart and there is a drop down menu to select several options. For your info, the hot tune is really just the regular economy tune. There is an option for off road tune in the drop down which I know nothing about. I assume it is a higher output with deletes. I don't think the braking feature is available with the off road tune. I have the regular tune w/ braking and regen message.

fhedrickjr

Dec 15, 2016
Truck Year
Lol similar experience was not expecting it coming down a short but steep Hill. Never expected anything considering the comments about gde tune option being the only way to get an engine brake
Unexpected is understated! My Grandson was driving us around in WV, we were going downhill and next thing you know the engine is revving up to 3300-3500 rpm! I said "what are you doing!!!??" He said "NOTHING"!! We figured it out, and now that I am READY for it, I love it. Taking long rides to and from WV on I 81 and I 64, it really comes into its own. I can effortlessly and confidently roll down hill without the truck running away. It will keep me within 2-3 mph of my set speed (not towing) even down a long 3 to 5% grade. All I have to do is trust it and count on the fact that the 20" Goodyears will do their job as long as I do mine!! With towing a 14' open trailer and 2 ATVS (about 3400 or so lbs) the results are basically the same (with a few more engine rpms). Love, love, love it! Real world on the road as high as 28.7 mpg unladen and towing the atvs, between 20.0 (I-95) and 16.4 (I-64) depending on terrain.

jdn112011

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Unexpected is understated! My Grandson was driving us around in WV, we were going downhill and next thing you know the engine is revving up to 3300-3500 rpm! I said "what are you doing!!!??" He said "NOTHING"!! We figured it out, and now that I am READY for it, I love it. Taking long rides to and from WV on I 81 and I 64, it really comes into its own. I can effortlessly and confidently roll down hill without the truck running away. It will keep me within 2-3 mph of my set speed (not towing) even down a long 3 to 5% grade. All I have to do is trust it and count on the fact that the 20" Goodyears will do their job as long as I do mine!! With towing a 14' open trailer and 2 ATVS (about 3400 or so lbs) the results are basically the same (with a few more engine rpms). Love, love, love it! Real world on the road as high as 28.7 mpg unladen and towing the atvs, between 20.0 (I-95) and 16.4 (I-64) depending on terrain.
Welcome to the forum @fhedrickjr !!! Good to hear that you have had a satisfying experience with your ecodiesel