• Welcome to EcoDieselRam.com We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your EcoDiesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • We believe in quality OVER quantity, and a family friendly place for your #EcoDiesel home!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER! Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Failed ecodiesel

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
More FCA / Deception Blame oil.... Hmmm Why are millions of other motors that have use 5/40 for billions of miles for decades NOT failing....When we build pulling motors we machine the tolerances to 20/50 or 50w whatever the customer prefers. The tolerance form 5/30 -5/40w .001 +/- 1-2 To my knowledge No production engine uses this spec, ALL are looe not tight so 5/40 would be the best oil in most cases ONLY extreme cold 0- temp would the viscosity make a difference, when warm the 5/40 would be better suited, 5/30 possibly add .25-.50PG better mileage in some conditions. Why are Owners Americans in general continue to be fooled by such shrew guesses of men. If they is FCA I would consider the info as worthless, deceptive and covering up the real cause.

MSP548

Aug 30, 2016
Truck Year
TC, I enjoy your posts and the fact that you share your diesel knowledge with the rest of us, but damn, your posts are so hard to read. Before you hit the send button please read your post and add some punctuation. Often times it seems you are making innuendos, but it falls flat with us because we aren't following your train of thought. Thank you and keep posting.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Why are millions of other power plants form several other Power plant manufactures with Many different series and displacement NOT having the failure Rate the VM 3.0. on 5/40W? Claiming the oil is the problem? really FCA .Are owners really that Naïve to believe that. What evidence does FCA have to support that statement? Look at what I mentioned .If anyone believes that 5/40w at proper service levels will cause motors to fail at 15-100K miles they are in denial of the facts that Millions of Diesel engine's are 500K plus on a diet of 5/40w... I will state this again if you own VM 3.0 and are NOT doing OAs to establish trends you are vulnerable to being stranded at anytime or mileage.... I cannot think of any engine the owner place semi or yearly OAs that did not have some notice of imminent failure VIA OAs.

Look I am on 3000K mile Trip In the Rockies, I took the ED WHY? BC I have the pass 2 years of OAs for establish trends. I had 1 sample with High Sodium , Did I condemn the Motor NO , you can't condemn any motor on 1 Sample, OK for those that need to know Yes if your wear levels had 1000PPM+ yes the engine is done. MY next 2 sample had sodium below norms and the 3 I should have the results next week.

Look People are buying lies in America, It seems to Me , A Day don't go by without Me Talking on the Phone too someone claims the thing's they read are true and Factual, MY reply is If your Buying Lies Hang Up and call someone else Because I'm not selling lies. Almost all clam down at that point and are more understanding WHY? Because I'm probably the 1st NON -Grocery Seller ( Parts) they have talk to that they can trust.

If You really want to know Me Call, I verbally communicate Much Better....And Humans interact Much Better verbally with the communication God gave Us .

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Why are millions of other power plants form several other Power plant manufactures with Many different series and displacement NOT having the failure Rate the VM 3.0. on 5/40W? Claiming the oil is the problem? really FCA .Are owners really that Naïve to believe that. What evidence does FCA have to support that statement? Look at what I mentioned .If anyone believes that 5/40w at proper service levels will cause motors to fail at 15-100K miles they are in denial of the facts that Millions of Diesel engine's are 500K plus on a diet of 5/40w... I will state this again if you own VM 3.0 and are NOT doing OAs to establish trends you are vulnerable to being stranded at anytime or mileage.... I cannot think of any engine the owner place semi or yearly OAs that did not have some notice of imminent failure VIA OAs.

Look I am on 3000K mile Trip In the Rockies, I took the ED WHY? BC I have the pass 2 years of OAs for establish trends. I had 1 sample with High Sodium , Did I condemn the Motor NO , you can't condemn any motor on 1 Sample, OK for those that need to know Yes if your wear levels had 1000PPM+ yes the engine is done. MY next 2 sample had sodium below norms and the 3 I should have the results next week.

Look People are buying lies in America, It seems to Me , A Day don't go by without Me Talking on the Phone too someone claims the thing's they read are true and Factual, MY reply is If your Buying Lies Hang Up and call someone else Because I'm not selling lies. Almost all clam down at that point and are more understanding WHY? Because I'm probably the 1st NON -Grocery Seller ( Parts) they have talk to that they can trust.

If You really want to know Me Call, I verbally communicate Much Better....And Humans interact Much Better verbally with the communication God gave Us .

A couple questions for you:
Where do you get your oil analysis done?
How frequently do you have them done? are you saying you think twice a year is sufficient
What exactly do you look for in them? sodium levels?

trace2008

Sep 21, 2016
Truck Year
Potential sources of sodium include coolant, salt water, additives, grease thickener, base stocks, dirt and road salt.

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Blackstone Labs. Here's extensive OAs.

Attachments

• 15 ECODIESEL-170602.pdf
    23.9 KB · Views: 30

David Duncan

Aug 10, 2017
Truck Year
My Ram ecodiesel died on vacation out of state after 34k miles! FCA will only reimburse me for two weeks rental vehicle. It is almost 600 miles away where it is in the shop and FCA is telling me that I will have to pick up my truck when repairs are completed! FCA continues to be dirt bags and I'm very unhappy with their costumer service and don't ever plan to purchase from them ever again! I have owned close to 500k dollars worth of Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep products since 1999! You would think they could work a little harder to help their customers!

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
If You purchased 1/2 Mill$ in 18 Years from the same Dealer have them fight for YA. Dealers Have area Reps that can Change things CS cannot.

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Blackstone Labs. Here's extensive OAs.

Thank you so much for showing that report. I have ordered a sample kit from Blackstone and will have a couple done over the winter.
I will be curious to see what the sampling shows me!

1shadowsabre

Oct 18, 2015
Truck Year
Potential sources of sodium include coolant, salt water, additives, grease thickener, base stocks, dirt and road salt.

Thanks for the info. It seems there has been a trend with oil in the coolant on some of the Eco Diesel failures I have read about. A couple Oil Analysis a year might be cheap insurance? I guess if something turned up you could take it in and have it looked at pre emptively?

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
When My sample of High sodium was provided FCA was willing to replace the Oil Exchanger, I waited until the next sample was done and the sodium drop to below normal, So you can Have a fluke Sample ,That's why trends need to be establish. It still has the OEM exchanger.

David Duncan

Aug 10, 2017
Truck Year
My truck's radiator fan started making a very loud noise! Dealer heard it, but said that they couldn't find a problem. 600 miles later overheated and towed to another dealer since I was out of town. Radiator fluid was a gallon and a half low after 600 miles! New dealership couldn't find a problem but suggested that the EGR cooler must have internal crack and coolant leaking through exhaust? Told ok too drive just watch fluid level and get the replacement part ordered. Next day 1/2 gallon low and hard to start. Then internal engine banging noise! Towed to dealership and they said bottom end of motor was toast! Of course FCA will reimburse me for 2 weeks rental vehicle! Treating me right! Also truck is almost 600 miles from home and first FCA rep said I would have to pick it up after repairs!

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
Here's the Latest report.

Attachments

• 15 ECODIESEL Ram 8 17.pdf
    23.6 KB · Views: 36

Brady

Jun 7, 2015
Truck Year
Looks great TC. Sad to see a good one being bought back tho.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
I will Keep it, if the DOJ Decision allows it.

David Duncan

Aug 10, 2017
Truck Year
Update! I fired the last FCA rep and finally got someone with some sense! Sounds like they are going to be better by me now, but we shall see!

TC Diesel

Jul 14, 2016
Truck Year
FCA will NOT be allowed to molest the Power plant , In Like manner Ford did to the 6.0 or the Ram 2007.5-12 6.7 Cummins. My 2013 Cummins Was getting the Mandatory T05, the Tech replaced the entire SCR form T.O.P to T.P.... FCA Instructions call for the Ammonia module removal and cut the Harness. I said to the Tech You cut that harness and you will be looking for a New Job ( He's a good friend of mine for years) Heeheee . It was all Replaced and the second you power up the System BUS cannot, do to the module sensor that's in the new SCR removed, He could NOT flash the ECM with the New Software that does NOT use the sensor, So he call me , We thought Maybe the Dealership Network was the problem so I went and Got My WItech and log in on My account ,No go... So he had to put the WHOLE old SCR Back on (I helped) and We are waiting on FCA to come up with the fix.... T05 5 months old 2013 3500 1 Year on 2013-15 2500, Needless to say if He would have cut that Harness the Truck would be Dead until FCA fix the system.
So all the he haa at 1500diesel.com is more fake TRash form a bunch of wannabee's who own 1 diesel and think that backwards compatibility will work.... My experience differs , I hope (Seriously I have extreme dislike for 3 of the Mods there) they fall for whatever FCA serve them like Vultures on a carcass and pay BIG in the future for there Pride and Fake info. I will Guess/speculate that the NEW software will be HACK proof. As it stands NOW FCA is gearing up for encryption security so that will end the ECM Hacks.

KrayLock

Aug 24, 2017
Truck Year
Add me to the dead engine list.......105,000 on a 2014.
Dealer quoted new long block.
Waiting for the dealer to let me know what caused it, but it sounded like loose connecting rods.

David Duncan

Aug 10, 2017
Truck Year
FCA seems to be playing nicer after I had to be an ass to get their attention! Will update when truck is fixed

fhedrickjr

Dec 15, 2016
Truck Year
Sitting here feeling a bit numb. EVERY time I think "I will buy her when the lease is up", I see more horror stories. Still wrestling with the $$ it costs for a 2500 with the Cummins, I bought the 1500 because it was easy to drive, was fairly affordable, and got great mileage. It is breaking my heart to think about it "betraying" me, or, having to give it up. REALLY starting to wish FCA had made the deal with Cummins for the 5.0 L t/d instead of leaving it open to Nissan..........